testtest

HS Shotgun Sports

Saw this today. This is great. Positive spin in the public eye on guns and shooting sports.
Everybody is welcome, everybody participates. Positive benefits of teens being involved with something productive reduces drug use increases focus in school etc… Even those on the left can’t argue against it.

I started shootin trap in a league at about 12 or 13. There was no organized program and your costs were out of pocket. My Dad complained that I blew all my part time job money out a shotgun barrel. It has stuck with me for 60 years. I also started my sons at about 11. Have only been able to get one grandchild hooked so far so I gave her a Citori. Still have 8 more grandkids to work on.

I started shootin trap in a league at about 12 or 13. There was no organized program and your costs were out of pocket. My Dad complained that I blew all my part time job money out a shotgun barrel. It has stuck with me for 60 years. I also started my sons at about 11. Have only been able to get one grandchild hooked so far so I gave her a Citori. Still have 8 more grandkids to work on.
I never participated in organized shooting ( other than archery) but we were shooting skeet by the time I was 8 or 9 and dove hunting every year in preparation for quail season.

My dad always wanted a Citori, but he never could afford one. He killed a whole lotta birds with his little 20 gauge Fox side by side though.

Guy across the street from me is in the Arkansas trapshooters hall of fame, Gerald is dead now. died of parkinsons disease. he worked for Remington, and they sponsored him. the ammo plant is about 15 miles from us. i been bird huntin with him before and he don't miss. he had a few old Remington shotguns in his closet that was wore slap dab out.

no telling how many millions of rounds he put through a shotgun. His nephew if shooting now and a pretty big name. Gerald got to where he couldn't even pull a trigger anymore. I really miss him. he was a great neighbor and great person. i got up one morning and he had a chair in my back yard sittin in it. i walked out and ask if he was ok and he said he promised this young man to watch the parade and nobody was with him. wasn't too much later he had to be put in special care and died not long after.

His brother lives next to him on the 45 acres and he is the one that lets me shoot all the time. he himself was a pretty good shot too.

It's big here in Central Texas Hill Country. Lots of high school programs and youth programs being promoted. I love to see it. Only shot trap a handful of times but I really enjoyed it. Really should shoot it more.

Anyone in the ATX area here? Wouldn't mind a reliable shooting buddy to train with!
There's an older gunsmith in the ATX area that builds AR's (maybe just the barrels) for youth (4H I think) competitions. He's on another forum and I've talked on the phone with him several times. He's a good and very knowledgeable person.

After 50+ years, still love busting clays at my club's trap range with the same 870 Wingmaster with modified barrel my Dad gave me as a present upon my high school graduation. The only problem is the cost of 100 rounds of ammo now but the clays are still cheap enough. When the weather's nice, I still go a couple of times a month until the cold weather sets in and I retreat to the indoor pistol range weekly.

Back