testtest

Hunt safe: Survival tips for big game hunters

Talyn

SAINT
Founding Member
Be prepared for those unexpected situations you might encounter while hunting in the fall

Survival tips for big game hunters

big-game-hunter-trail2_20161101_ben-studer.jpg

Good hunting survival tips Talyn,
All are also good tips while traveling in inclement weather too. Universal USB battery backups or spare batteries for phones, flashlights and other electronics can also come in handy. Same with keeping something simple like crackers or other fairly stable foods to eat in emergencies, extra dry clothing, blankets and footwear in vehicles during poor weather. Something to act as a reflector or mirror is also good to keep on hand to gain attention when needed.

Carry a good up to date topo map and study it before going in. Find landmarks, private property, etc. Mark where you go in so you have a readily visible point when you are turned around and need reference points.

In new areas do scouts ahead of time and keep notes of various landmarks and how they were oriented while you were walking. This serves several purposes, you learn the land, have visual references marked on the map, you will be surprised at how different the general area can look when the leaves fall, or it's snowy, or even just scared, wet or different lighting. Studying the map also gives you time to get your head together from the initial fear of getting turned around. Scouting also helps you find game areas, movement, food water, bedding sites. Plus, it's just enjoyable.

Last edited:
Practice fire making ahead of time, with various methods and carry multiple methods of making fire. Making fire can be harder than you remember from your last bonfire, especially when it's been rainy or snowy.

If you ever watch these survival "expert" shows you will see even those who train a lot can have issues.

Even though I don't hunt in country that is nowhere as remote as mentioned in the article one should consider the dangers of hunting alone. The area out in western Va that I hunt in has no cell service so we relay on handheld radios to communicate on an hourly basis. I would highly recommend a pair of radios if you have a youngster that is going to be in a deer stand by themselves. Be advised you'll get to hunt in 2 different places at one time! :) Probably falling down and injuring oneself is the most common problem most hunters face. Two way communication can save the day. Being able to alert other members of your hunting party to the presence of a poacher wandering about can prevent a deadly occurrence. In my experience poachers don't wear a lot if any blaze orange and on a ridge several 100 yards away can be almost impossible to detect. When scanning an area through your rifle scope in search of the deer you believe are making the leaves rustle only to suddenly realize your crosshairs have just passed over a man that should not be there can be quite unsettling. Hunt safely and always be prepared for the unexpected.

Even though I don't hunt in country that is nowhere as remote as mentioned in the article one should consider the dangers of hunting alone. The area out in western Va that I hunt in has no cell service so we relay on handheld radios to communicate on an hourly basis. I would highly recommend a pair of radios if you have a youngster that is going to be in a deer stand by themselves. Be advised you'll get to hunt in 2 different places at one time! :) Probably falling down and injuring oneself is the most common problem most hunters face. Two way communication can save the day. Being able to alert other members of your hunting party to the presence of a poacher wandering about can prevent a deadly occurrence. In my experience poachers don't wear a lot if any blaze orange and on a ridge several 100 yards away can be almost impossible to detect. When scanning an area through your rifle scope in search of the deer you believe are making the leaves rustle only to suddenly realize your crosshairs have just passed over a man that should not be there can be quite unsettling. Hunt safely and always be prepared for the unexpected.
A good pair of binoculars will make things easier on your eyes glassing.

Carry a good up to date topo map and study it before going in. Find landmarks, private property, etc. Mark where you go in so you have a readily visible point when you are turned around and need reference points.

In new areas do scouts ahead of time and keep notes of various landmarks and how they were oriented while you were walking. This serves several purposes, you learn the land, have visual references marked on the map, you will be surprised at how different the general area can look when the leaves fall, or it's snowy, or even just scared, wet or different lighting. Studying the map also gives you time to get your head together from the initial fear of getting turned around. Scouting also helps you find game areas, movement, food water, bedding sites. Plus, it's just enjoyable.
Very true. Is a good idea when can.
Another thing that can be helpful is using the map and other real world points or markers is to create a separate quick reference guide that's easy to read on another piece of paper or device to and for use for directional and other changes like mileage traveled. When, and if weather changes, normal reference points can vanish too. AAA used to do something like the self help guide with their flipable trip tic guide method of travel. They still may, but is meant for highway travel. I make my own for distant travel or through unfamiliar areas. A small simple notepad can work wonders. So can a personal code like "R" for right or "E" for East, "M" for Miles or Meters. Just needs to be consistent and easily readable is all. (Bulky main maps can then be safely stashed for more reference if need arises in packs and carried separately.)

Back