testtest

😭 I need to buy a new gun... so sad

So.... I decided to kill some time and paper. I loaded up a Ruger Charger, ISSC M22, LCP II .22, and Charter Arms Pathfinder.

As usual, the Charger ate everything and was delightfully, wickedly accurate. The M22 was spot on but still only likes CCI Mini-mags. The LCP II was fine but I couldn't get a tight group with Federal Punch ammo; CCI was much better. The problem child is the Pathfinder. It groups like a shotgun.

So now I need a double action/single action .22. Going to try and find one that goes both ways, .22LR/.22Mag.

The search commences...

New Colt King Cobra is sweet, as is a model 17 Smith, but no joy for a convertible. Little 317 kit gun is a joy to tote, but again no magnum. I’ve tried for years to get a Ruger bearcat cylinder I could get punched to WMR, but the ones I’ve seen are $$$$$ AND scarce.

I have a really great ol' H&R SA/DA in .22cal from back in the 70's I think that shoots like a dream. Unfortunately no mag cylinder, and I don't think one was ever available.

I think both the Ruger Single Six and the Heritage Rough Rider come fitted with both LR and magnum cylinders.

New Colt King Cobra is sweet
I wanted to think so, too. Then my kid bought one and I was somewhat less-than-whelmed. Long story short, I wouldn't swap my old .22 Diamondback (or my Smith 17 either, for that matter) for THREE of the new ones.

1712540379341.jpeg

I wanted to think so, too. Then my kid bought one and I was somewhat less-than-whelmed. Long story short, I wouldn't swap my old .22 Diamondback (or my Smith 17 either, for that matter) for THREE of the new ones.

View attachment 55510
I’ve only seen one in the flesh and IT appeared to be nicely done. Good fit /finish and tight action. Of course I couldn’t shoot it, OR try the trigger🙄, but I was sorely tempted. Maybe it was an outlier? What problems/issues have you seen with them?? I’ve been seriously considering another D/A to go with my 317.

I have a really great ol' H&R SA/DA in .22cal from back in the 70's I think that shoots like a dream. Unfortunately no mag cylinder, and I don't think one was ever available.

I think both the Ruger Single Six and the Heritage Rough Rider come fitted with both LR and magnum cylinders.
H&R did make a convertible .22/.22WMR…but I think it was SAO.

DA/SA .22 LR/WMR options are few.

I believe that the old Dan Wesson revolver line had one as an option…

If you want a .22 DA revolver, you ain't gonna do better than a Smith & Wesson. Here are K-frame models 17 and 18. And a J-frame model 34. All are excellent shooters. The 4" Model 18 is my all time favorite revolver. 😁
They also make these in stainless if you prefer.
I also have a 1978 6" Colt Diamondback .22. Another excellent gun, but expensive. :rolleyes:

If you want a .22 DA revolver, you ain't gonna do better than a Smith & Wesson. Here are K-frame models 17 and 18. And a J-frame model 34. All are excellent shooters. The 4" Model 18 is my all time favorite revolver. 😁
They also make these in stainless if you prefer.
I also have a 1978 6" Colt Diamondback .22. Another excellent gun, but expensive. :rolleyes:

You know, I've never met a Smith & Wesson that I didn't have to send back. I even want to like Smith.

Right now I'm waiting on my CSX's return. This is the second time I've sent it back. I did offer to accept a 460XVR in lieu of their returning it. Seems fair.

I’m sure it’s Turkish.
Bob, the Diamondback name covers a lot of territory down in central Florida. The Diamondback Co first started building quality airboats, then over the years progressed to firearms and others products. Their AR platform is a very solid rifle in the <$1000 range least I knew. They make some handguns as well and everything they manufacture is sourced in the US as I understand it. Take a look at them, I think you'll be surprised.

Wow! I just now learned that Diamondback firearms has been bought up by Taurus. Not sure when it happened, but apparently it did. Looks like the guns will still be made in central Florida though. Actually I don't think their manufacturing facility is too far from the KelTec manufacturing facility in Cocoa, Fl ... but no connection as far as I know.

Wow! I just now learned that Diamondback firearms has been bought up by Taurus. Not sure when it happened, but apparently it did. Looks like the guns will still be made in central Florida though. Actually I don't think their manufacturing facility is too far from the KelTec manufacturing facility in Cocoa, Fl ... but no connection as far as I know.
Well I knew there would be a trade off. The sidekick, which is a repro of the old Hi Standard double 9 ( I have one from the 50s) except to keep the cost down they’re made from zinc. Which is pot metal/ Zamak. They say it’s fine in low powered firearms but I’ll tell you this. I avoid Zamak in razors and bass bridges. So I would avoid it for sure in firearms.

Last edited:
Back