testtest

IMHO, a serious problem with the XD-E trigger design.

I picked up my XDE (Langdon Tactical version) yesterday. Langdon did as could as they can with the trigger…still lots of creep, a crappy reset, a long, mushy take up to a crisp break…but this gun is just not designed for a DA/SA pivoting trigger. It is designed for a flat-pull trigger or short pivot like a striker fire.

Basically, Springfield tried to stuff a DA/SA trigger in a striker trigger guard (designed for a straighter trigger pull). It’s very obvious. I thought at first my issues with it feeling like a reach, and then all the poking and rubbing making it feel like my finger was in a pencil sharpener, was because the trigger was too curved. Checked it against my CZ and my Beretta and it’s not…it’s just that because the trigger guard is 1/4” to 1/2” too narrow north to south, they had to point the trigger forward at a ridiculous angle to keep it from rubbing when it pivots back.

So instead, your finger rubs raw on the trigger guard while the extreme angle caused the corner of the trigger to poke into the pad of your finger. Since you can only find purchase on the outside edge of the trigger, I imagine that’s why folks talk about pushing rounds to the left with this gun. I’ve seen it on a number of videos with shooters questioning whether the sights are off. They’re probably not…the horrible trigger purchase/ergonomics force you to push left. And if you slide your finger deeper in (what she said) to mitigate this, because the trigger break is so far back, it makes it really awkward to fire, particularly in DA. I wish I could return this…there’s no fixing it with just a new, flatter trigger. The trigger guard also needs to be enlarged to accommodate a pivoting trigger. This gun, if they insist on keeping it out there, needs a major re-design.
up my XDE (Langdon Tactical version) yesterday. Langdon did as best as they can with the trigger…still lots of creep, a crappy reset, a long, mushy take up to a crisp break…but this gun is just not designed for a DA/SA pivoting trigger. It is designed for a flat-pull trigger like a 1911 or short pivot, like a striker fire.

Basically, Springfield tried to stuff a DA/SA trigger in a striker trigger guard (designed for a straighter trigger pull). It’s very obvious. I thought at first my issues with it feeling like a reach, and then all the poking and rubbing making it feel like my finger was in a pencil sharpener, was because the trigger was too curved. Checked it against my CZ and my Beretta and it’s not…it’s just that because the trigger guard is 1/4” to 1/2” too narrow north to south, they had to point the trigger forward at a ridiculous angle to keep it from bottoming out when it pivots back.

So instead, your finger rubs raw on the trigger guard while the extreme angle causes the corner of the trigger to poke into the pad of your finger. Since you can only find purchase on the outside edge of the trigger, I imagine that’s why folks talk about pushing rounds to the left with this gun. I’ve seen it on a number of videos with shooters questioning whether the sights are off. They’re probably not…the horrible trigger purchase/ergonomics force you to push left. And if you slide your finger deeper in (what she said) to mitigate this, because the trigger break is so far back, it makes it really awkward to fire, particularly in DA. I wish I could return this…there’s no fixing it with just a new, flatter trigger. I mean, even Ernest Langdon couldn’t fix this gun.

The trigger guard also needs to be enlarged to accommodate a pivoting trigger. This gun, if they insist on keeping it out there, needs a major re-design. Below are photos comparing the finger purchase of the XDE (on the left) with that of a Beretta 92FS (on the right). Guess which trigger pokes your finger and causes the outside of your finger to rub on the trigger guard?

Attachments

• F08E49B5-6E62-4026-9858-4212754326C7.jpeg
    F08E49B5-6E62-4026-9858-4212754326C7.jpeg
    822.3 KB · Views: 110
  • EE730204-9386-4A5C-846D-480A19B85899.jpeg
    EE730204-9386-4A5C-846D-480A19B85899.jpeg
    702.8 KB · Views: 111
About my only complaint with the XD-E is the trigger (as you outlined) with regard to the long reach in DA and the curved design which does make it a little hard on your trigger finger when shooting DA. I realy don't have an issue with "still lots of creep, a crappy reset, a long, mushy take up to a crisp break" that you outlined. Overall, I like the XD-E and have noticed quite a few folks who also like it. Maybe you could return it to Langdon Tactical for a refund or trade it for something you like better? It would be interesting to hear from other folks here who have shot the XD-E.

The XDE is a very good firearm. It is very reliable, accurate, thin but very comfortable in the hand. In 9mm it is a soft shooter with light recoil.

I also agree the trigger is not well designed. LOP is longer than any other DA/SA I've tried and as you note the trigger is too curved. I also catch my finger on the leading edge and that leading edge is not as smooth as I would like. It is less annoying and uncomfortable so long as the hammer is in 1/4 cock position allowing the trigger to pivot without resistance enough to improve finger position before the tension kicks in. Even so I am beginning to develop a callous on my finger where it hits.

I get that they curved the trigger so it would shape to the back of the frame and probably have a feel closer to the XDS in break distance but I think that was a bad choice. They should allow the XDE to be a different animal. To me it doesn't feel like a DA/SA trigger shoved into a striker firearm but it does seem that the design happened without adequate tester feedback.

I really hope they modify the design to a thin double-stack and rework the trigger to be less curved and to break before hitting the frame. Shortening the LOP slightly could accomodate a larger number of shooters with smaller hands/shorter fingers to take advantage of this platform and its easy to rack design. The Beretta 92 and PX4 trigger would be a good reference for them to borrow from. Your photo comparison says it all.

Back