testtest

is the 357sig dead

Too me, not by a long shot! Without going 5-shot cylinder the semi-auto version is slimer and 3x the capacity and way faster to reload when needed. I'm not diss'n the 357mag as I don't own 1, but have shot 1 many years ago. I don't remember how recoil was, nor barrel length. Then again, I've been shooting 44mag for a couple of years before shooting the 357mag. Without ear protection I can handle the sound of the 44mag, but the 357mag was at a pitch not able to listen to. With my g31 and p226 being the only 2 I have they are fun to shoot and despite what the article says about blast, it doesn't fireball any more than a 9mil. Going off load data and not produced ammo the 357mag IS more powerful. Sierra doesn't play favorites on load info like Hornady and Nosler does/do.

I only have one firearm in 357 Sig and that's a P320 I bought when the 320s first came out. I'm not sure if Sig even sells the P320 in that caliber anymore, the one time I looked I only saw them in 9mm and 45 acp (which I also own in the 320 line along with the 40 which I also don't see advertised on their site).

If I could only own one caliber weapon it would be .357 magnum in revolvers of different sizes and carbines both it would do every everything I needed a firearm for. No disrespect to the 357 Sig, but it ain't a substitute for the real thing. Can it be close in some bullet weights and loads, sure thing, some... it will hang around but I doubt we will see too many new projects loaded in it. Just one opinion.

While not a bad round performance wise true NATO soec 9mm at 1,200 is not far off from what 357 Sig clock in the real world. Around 13-1350 I don’t think the bad guy will notice if you do your part. If not what caliber is irrelevant!

I saw a lot of interest when at FLETC with Secret Service and while not at GLUNCO the FAMs seems happy with their 229’s in 357 SIG they dumped it around 2018 for 9mm

Only a couple state police agency still issue 357 SIG so I’d say it’s now into that niche category.

Good but up to the user if they want the extra $$ to feed it when other choices will probably do just as well!

While not a bad round performance wise true NATO soec 9mm at 1,200 is not far off from what 357 Sig clock in the real world. Around 13-1350 I don’t think the bad guy will notice if you do your part. If not what caliber is irrelevant!

I saw a lot of interest when at FLETC with Secret Service and while not at GLUNCO the FAMs seems happy with their 229’s in 357 SIG they dumped it around 2018 for 9mm

Only a couple state police agency still issue 357 SIG so I’d say it’s now into that niche category.

Good but up to the user if they want the extra $$ to feed it when other choices will probably do just as well!
Yeah cost of the 357 Sig ammo, even from Sig is a lot more. Few decades ago I swapped the barrel for a 40 S&W - haven’t switched it back yet. For me the felt recoil was a sharper snap up & back compared to any other semi I’ve fired. I can get my front site back on target way quicker w/ the 40 .. so, good idea on paper, real world .. meh.

Too me, not by a long shot! Without going 5-shot cylinder the semi-auto version is slimer and 3x the capacity and way faster to reload when needed. I'm not diss'n the 357mag as I don't own 1, but have shot 1 many years ago. I don't remember how recoil was, nor barrel length. Then again, I've been shooting 44mag for a couple of years before shooting the 357mag. Without ear protection I can handle the sound of the 44mag, but the 357mag was at a pitch not able to listen to. With my g31 and p226 being the only 2 I have they are fun to shoot and despite what the article says about blast, it doesn't fireball any more than a 9mil. Going off load data and not produced ammo the 357mag IS more powerful. Sierra doesn't play favorites on load info like Hornady and Nosler does/do.

I carried G31, 7 years warrant squad. USSS carried it for years, changing to Glock 9mm

If you’re looking to convert a Sig P229 chambered in .357 SIG or .40 S&W to 9mm, Bar-Sto makes a 9mm conversion barrel. While the barrel is a drop-in they say you might need to a 9mm magazine, but that usually existing mags for .40 cal or .357 Sig should function fine. Also you might need a lighter recoil spring which Bar-Sto also sells.

If you’re looking to convert a Sig P229 chambered in .357 SIG or .40 S&W to 9mm, Bar-Sto makes a 9mm conversion barrel. While the barrel is a drop-in they say you might need to a 9mm magazine, but that usually existing mags for .40 cal or .357 Sig should function fine. Also you might need a lighter recoil spring which Bar-Sto also sells.
Actually considered doing that but the 229 fully loaded w/ a 10 rd ( vs 12, thx NY !! ) weighs almost as much as my Colt LW Commander 45 acp AND I would have to get different mags or at least different mag springs for feed reliabilityplus the barrel cost - totaled up I’m close to half 3/4 of new handgun -might as well get a 365XL (w/ ambi safety & an integral comp) that feels thinner, weighs less & best of all, it’s another handgun, right ?!
Good looking out though, thx recu

It's definitely on life support. The problem is too many manufacturers are not loading up to it's potential. Take the 10mm for example as well too many manufacturers load it no hotter than the .40s&w. Too many are barely breaking 1000fps for 185gr bullet. I might understand that if it was 200gr bullet.
Honestly it may be a little fear of lawyer-ez action as well.
Heck I can remember when CorBon was loading 9mm 115gr ammo to an advertised 1500fps back in the mid to late 80's. The Illinois State police used it in a +p+ rating. I shot some of that in my Ruger P85 and I can confirm it was HOT 🔥🔥

Back