testtest

Lawmakers Introduce Bill to Force Gun Shops to Expand Security Measures

BOHICA…
This one is just as nutty as the others, but isn’t aimed at gun ‘owners’ so it’s gotta be watched clse by somebody…
Two points:
- I’m not aware that there are all that many ‘smash & grab’ robberies of gun stores. Maybe there are, and I just missed them?
- Beware the third bullet item, the one that begins “Authorize the Attorney General to…”
Those words alone tell a WHOLE LOT about where this is headed and the possibility of a lot more getting snuck in under our noses.

Beware. And be wary.

"
  • Require FFLs, when their premises are closed, to secure all firearms in their inventory either by fastening them to an anchored steel rod or storing them in a locked safe or gun cabinet;
one LGS i frequent, has several show/display cases..yeah, right, start installing steel rods in those.

and that's just for the guns...what about all that ammo..??? what about the spray cans of Mace??? the knives..???

the gunpowder..?? the coca-cola machine..???

might be cheaper for security cameras or an armed guard when the stores are closed.

as it is now, many stores have bars on the doors and windows. some have roll up steel coverings on the doors and windows.

it would stand to reason, the costs of these items can only be passed onto the consumer.

Here in the people's republic of Illinois the FFLs have to do everything outlined in the story but also have to pay for additional security measures, extra licensing and insurance. Plus they have to have local and state permits in addition to their FFL and business license. As stated earlier, it's about making doing business cost prohibitive.
No, they're not demanding steel rods being installed, what they demand is anchorage which would make access or theft near impossible. Most smaller shops just clear out their shelves and pack it in to a fire safe each night.
Just more bureaucracy and gov't overreach.

In my view this is not a 2nd Amendment issue, but rather a licensing issue. Many thousands of guns guns are stolen in gun shop burglaries every year and a lot of them end up on the street being used in crimes. Having investigated gun shop burglaries, I will take an alternate position on this legislation.

Banks are required by federal law to have secure storage like safes or vaults, and alarms and video. Pharmacies are required by federal law to have secure storage for schedule drugs, and alarms and video. The ATF guide for FFL's already lays out all the measures proposed in this bill for security, although these measures are advisory. FFL's are subject to inspections. The law proposed appears to codify the security measures advised in the ATF guide. Banks, pharmacies, and gun shops are targeted by thieves because of the value of their inventory.

Every FFL knows they are a target for thieves. In my experience gun shop burglaries tend to be highly organized affairs conducted by professional criminal groups. Guns that are stolen and then fenced are intended to be used for criminal purposes. Failure of FFL's to properly secure their inventory is in my view irresponsible. Security measures do not have to be expensive. Alarms and video surveillance systems are not expensive nowadays. If the dealer does not have a safe or vault, that's just stupid. If the guns hop is not in itself a vault, the guns need to go into safes at night. These are just the cost of doing business. It is a shame that we would need a new law, but FFL's need to secure those guns. Much of what is in the bill is already required by insurance companies. I would suggest that most reputable dealers are already doing most of what's in the bill anyway.

What about rail cars getting knocked over in Chicago. How about when firearms were being stolen out of airline baggage by an organized team in GA ? There was also a group stealing firearms from either UPS or FEDEX . Anything can happen, anywhere. Where do you draw the line? Or are they gonna force us to use bonded couriers from port to port?

What about rail cars getting knocked over in Chicago. How about when firearms were being stolen out of airline baggage by an organized team in GA ? There was also a group stealing firearms from either UPS or FEDEX . Anything can happen, anywhere. Where do you draw the line? Or are they gonna force us to use bonded couriers fro
It is a federal crime to steal a firearm from a common carrier or from an FFL gun shop. Again I aver that the bill proposed relates to licensing, not to any 2A issue

Sorry, I just thought it was a interesting article, may not be really a 2A issue now, but in the long run it will bleed down to it
No man, the article is on point. I wasn't discrediting by any means. As i mentioned, our dealers are already burdened with this bureaucracy. I was just illustrating that people will commit
crimes, at what point is prevention crossing over to burdensome?

Back