testtest

Learning to Shoot a Handgun with a Red Dot: Simple but not Easy

You need to re-learn presentation of the gun at eye level to find the dot quickly. I learned that I am much faster getting on target with a red dot but not quite as precise as with iron sights. I also discovered that improving presentation with the red dot improves presentation with iron sights. I am seeing more and more LEO's carrying them they are here to stay.

You need to re-learn presentation of the gun at eye level to find the dot quickly. I learned that I am much faster getting on target with a red dot but not quite as precise as with iron sights. I also discovered that improving presentation with the red dot improves presentation with iron sights. I am seeing more and more LEO's carrying them they are here to stay.
Presentation as you say is key. I don't follow the dot, I look where I'm going to shoot and line up the barrel. It just falls in place, the dot or irons that is. Gets to be muscle memory. With what I shoot the grip being close to identical makes it faster/easier.

Agreed on presentation, I’ve mentioned before on how as I trained,
“unloaded gun”
In my apartment I became quickly proficient in both acquiring the red dot and re-acquiring after a mock re-load, let me also say my iron sights can not be seen through the optic and I have no issues with that. I am right hand and eye dominant with unfortunately mild MD in my left eye so both eyes open is a huge plus.
Will I go red dot optic on any more of my handguns? Doubtful as the slides are not cut. That being said if Springfield decides to offer an optic cut slide assembly for my XDM 4.5 45ACP
(Hey Springfield Hint, hint)
then I’ll be first in line.

Presentation as you say is key. I don't follow the dot, I look where I'm going to shoot and line up the barrel. It just falls in place, the dot or irons that is. Gets to be muscle memory. With what I shoot the grip being close to identical makes it faster/easier.
A trainer on Tactical Hyve recommended pointing your support hand thumb at the target and your red dot should be in your field of view. This works for me when I start to get sloppy with my presentation.

A trainer on Tactical Hyve recommended pointing your support hand thumb at the target and your red dot should be in your field of view. This works for me when I start to get sloppy with my presentation.
And that’s a great point.
(No pun intended)
Everyone must be given the opportunity to develop their own skills in overcoming an obstacle and it’s very important for those that train someone to do anything, “not just about firearms”
That they don’t preach their own skills as being the best but allow students to absorb everything from everyone and build that information into what they are trying to accomplish.

Back