testtest

Left handed

I don't train one handed yet. It'll come. I am right handed but my sister is a lefty. Growing up, I would try and copy her ways. It was difficult, but it was a challenge. I still try to train my left hand to do certain things as well as my right hand does, especially at work because my right handed parts feel like they're wearing out sometimes. :cool:

When I feel I am more proficient at right handed shooting, I will definitely work on left handed shooting.

I don't train one handed yet. It'll come. ..When I feel I am more proficient at right handed shooting, I will definitely work on left handed shooting.
Don't wait. You can start TODAY, for NO cost. When you start shooting left-handed, the gun's going to feel like a very foreign object in your hand. It'll take MANY hours before the gun starts feeling natural to you in your left hand. You can build this "feel time" without ever firing a shot. Make sure your gun is UNLOADED, then you can practice your grip, control manipulation, sight picture, even trigger pull (dry fire) all you want for NOTHING. You can even do it while you watch TV. All such time will pay off when you go to go to shoot the thing live, whether that's a month from now or a year. ;)

Don't wait. You can start TODAY, for NO cost. When you start shooting left-handed, the gun's going to feel like a very foreign object in your hand. It'll take MANY hours before the gun starts feeling natural to you in your left hand. You can build this "feel time" without ever firing a shot. Make sure your gun is UNLOADED, then you can practice your grip, control manipulation, sight picture, even trigger pull (dry fire) all you want for NOTHING. You can even do it while you watch TV. All such time will pay off when you go to go to shoot the thing live, whether that's a month from now or a year. ;)
@Snake45 I just read your first two words and, you're right. I can train with my dry fire program too. And as you say, when I first started with handguns, I would handle them (completely safe and unloaded, of course :cool: ) while watching TV, or reading, just to develop muscle memory.

Every LE basic and instructor course I ever attended or taught had a non-gun hand component. Often to loud wailing and groaning from the students. Some of us are just klutzes with the non-dominant hand. I for one can operate a steak knife with my left but thats where my talent ends. But most problems with hitting the target seem to be related to using the dominant eye properly. One of the advantages of red dot sights shows up here. Learning to load, reload, and clear stoppages with the non-gun hand involves a whole other set of skills.

I had ahead start by naturally being left handed, but my parents didn't want me to be a lefty and caused me to be ambidextrous. Turns out to be a good thing, well maybe in some sports. Fracturing my left navicular (wrist bone) keeps me from shooting pistols (even 22 sr).
I remember those days when parents didn’t want their child to be left handed they thought it would make it tough on them growing up. Worked out good for you bring ambidextrous that’s a good thing

But most problems with hitting the target seem to be related to using the dominant eye properly.
I experimented with various ways to shoot cross-dominant, and discovered that what works best FOR ME is to cant the gun over about 30 degrees and shoot with my dominant eye. I learned that due to various physical forces at play (gravity and so forth) that I could expect my shots to land a bit low and right at 25 yards, but they would all still easily be on a sheet of typing paper, i.e. "in the kill zone" at that range. ;)

Oh I CAN shoot left-eyed if I HAVE to, but I found it's easier to just go with the flow and use my dominant right eye. Others might and probably will have other experiences with this, and that's okay. ;)

sight picture,
what you say right there..

some may go on an "assumption" that we all have good to perfect sight in both eyes....

i don't ....my left eye is a bit blurred, and wavy, like looking thru an old fashioned round fish tank, plus the colors are not the same as the right eye.

when i first started driving trucks, i was "normal"...i'm talking my blood pressure.

but in my first year alone, my BP jumped up so much, i was put on several different BP meds (one at a time of course)
(goes to show the stressfulness of truck driving)

it was found that my BP, caused a problem in that left eye...and it is not curable

oh, i can pass a DOT eye exam, and i get my eyes checked 2 times a year...i have near 20/30 sight.......

but trying to sight any gun i own, with the left eye, is really next to impossible, hence right handed and 2 handed shooting at that.

so, some have eye issues, which are not taken into consideration, and as well some may not wish to be open about it, but i will be for those who wish to remain silent.

also, as i said earlier, i cannot steady myself with only 1 handed shooting, i attribute that to my multiple major back operations...

this was the main reason why i applied for a ccw, that i cannot defend myself, like a "normal" man can, like fist to cuffs, climbing over a fence, and especially...running away....i'd be a sitting duck, so i wanted a "fighting chance to defend myself"

I’m left handed, Dad ( right handed) taught me to shoot rifle/shotgun right handed, and to this day I can’t shoot a long gun left handed. Taught myself handgun shooting (left handed) and I routinely practice using both strong and weak side. I’m a bit slower on timed shots using my right paw but accuracy is very close. My son(retired Marine) is right handed, but I taught him to shoot handgun with either paw. I think it’s a skill any serious shooter should have.

Back