testtest

Liner lock folder cautions

Sld1959

Hellcat
Being that the Walker lock, liner lock, in one guise or another, is probably one of most used knife locks extant, I thought this might be informational. Just wanted to give a slight caution to those who have either never heard of or experienced liner lock failure.

I had never heard of it either until I experienced it first hand and ended up with a pretty decent cut on my hand. In some instances when gripped in just the right manner, especially in the left hand, the liner can be torqued or squeezed just right and release.

Mine occurred with a Benchmade AFCK that was used almost exclusively in the left hand, I am "sinister". The first time I was confused and thought I did something wrong. The second time, did not get cut the as I was a bit leery. After that I did some experiments and figured what happened, and did research.

Now a lot seem to be skeptical but there is a lot of info on it. Micheal Walker and Ron Lake even created the LAWKS liner lock system, used extensively bu CRTK, because of failure issues.

Just be careful when using that liner lock, especially in the left hand.

Addendum. Mine occurred under normal use. When gripped in the normal saber grip the second pad on my finger pressed on the liner in an unlocking direction, causing the lock to release.

Probably incorrext to say failure as it worked as made. More correctly a premature release.

Last edited:
Being that the Walker lock, liner lock, in one guise or another, is probably one of most used knife locks extant, I thought this might be informational. Just wanted to give a slight caution to those who have either never heard of or experienced liner lock failure.

I had never heard of it either until I experienced it first hand and ended up with a pretty decent cut on my hand. In some instances when gripped in just the right manner, especially in the left hand, the liner can be torqued or squeezed just right and release.

Mine occurred with a Benchmade AFCK that was used almost exclusively in the left hand, I am "sinister". The first time I was confused and thought I did something wrong. The second time, did not get cut the as I was a bit leery. After that I did some experiments and figured what happened, and did research.

Now a lot seem to be skeptical but there is a lot of info on it. Micheal Walker and Ron Lake even created the LAWKS liner lock system, used extensively bu CRTK, because of failure issues.

Just be careful when using that liner lock, especially in the left hand.
Wasn't familiar with the LAWKS term, so I looked it up. Once I read the description, and saw a photo, I recognized the mechanism. I have around 5 CRKT folders, and they're either frame lock, or liner lock. I prefer frame lock over lever lock, and both of those styles over a slip joint.

I have 2 Civivi folders that sport liner locks that have (imo) slightly better retention than the CRKTs.

Back