testtest

Loading in Gr and Gms

I been loading 4.5gr of tight group for my 45acp 230gr. I use digital scales. My scales got switched to gms and i didn't notice! I didn't have my glasses on and loaded .45gms is there a conversion to see what .45gms is in grains? Would they be safe to shoot? Any help would be appreciated.

You would be better off using a bullet puller to reclaim the powder, bullet, case and primer for reuse.

How many rounds did you load with the scale set incorrectly?

1 gram is 15.432 grains. So 45 grams is 694.456 grains. So I'm guessing that's a big fat no.
If converting by the .45 grams the OP posted then the conversion would be 6.945 grains. The point before the 45 changes the equation.

I would highly recommend pulling the bullet and restarting with the scale properly set for grains.

I loaded a few hundred rounds of .300blk today and I cleaned and decapped a few hundred 10mm cases to get ready for loading.

I'm very cautious when I reload and I'll dump one out of every 15 to 20 cases with powder on the scale just to make sure the powder is staying consistently where I set it.

I been loading 4.5gr of tight group for my 45acp 230gr. I use digital scales. My scales got switched to gms and i didn't notice! I didn't have my glasses on and loaded .45gms is there a conversion to see what .45gms is in grains? Would they be safe to shoot? Any help would be appreciated.
That’s why I never used the electronic scales when I did reload, I used the old fashioned scales, plus I used a powder measure to charge my cases, only used the scale to set up the measure and checked the dropped charges every so often

If converting by the .45 grams the OP posted then the conversion would be 6.945 grains. The point before the 45 changes the equation.

I would highly recommend pulling the bullet and restarting with the scale properly set for grains.

I loaded a few hundred rounds of .300blk today and I cleaned and decapped a few hundred 10mm cases to get ready for loading.

I'm very cautious when I reload and I'll dump one out of every 15 to 20 cases with powder on the scale just to make sure the powder is staying consistently where I set it.
I've got to agree with 10mmLife here. My conversion shows .45 grams equals 6.94grs. And as an aside, the abbreviation for the weight of grams is a simple 'g' or sometime 'gm'. So 'gms' might at some point really confuse someone.

Abbreviation for grain is traditionally 'gr' since a simple 'g' might lead to some confusion as well. Also, be certain you've actually weighed .45g's (point45), and not 4.5g's (4point5). Double check, double check, double check the scale, then as suggested, pull those bullets and reload.

Good luck! jj

no no no not safe

Pull the slugs, reclaim the powder and slugs. You’re pushing 50% more powder than you’d planned. Unless you were loading WAY light you’re grossly overcharged. Good way to destroy a firearm (and maybe yourself😳). Be extra careful when loading. Sometimes in pistol calibers a half of one grain or less is the difference between a nice safe load and a dangerous one.

Back