testtest

M1A 7.62 x 51 and .308 ammo?

mango7777

Alpha
I have a ruger mini 14 and there is always talk about whether it can handle 5.56 x 45 or .223. On the ruger site, it has a box explaining that yes it can use both with the exception of the target rifle which only handles .223. I have looked on the Springfield site for something like this about .308 and 7.62 x 51 ammo both being compatible in the MIA. Any information on this?

I hope you all understand that I am not trying to **** any of you off. But there are differences between .308 and 7.62 x 51 the NATO cartridge is made a little longer and the brass is a little thicker. That being said, in my own mind I believe that there are really nothing to worry about. Having said that I am looking for really expert information, not just what you believe. Again I believe that both are compatible, if you read the article I put here, it basically states the chamber pressures are the same. The most improbable impact would be case length in my mind that might cause problems. My reference to the ruger site was that ruger absolutely states that either 5.56 or .223 can be shot in any ranch 14 with the exception of the target model. I would love it if Springfield had the same thing only for the M1A for .308 and 7.62 x 51.

Headspacing could be the only difference due to 7.62 having a thicker rim, but any of the 7.62 nato chamber only in an ar10 have been headspacing fine. Unlike the 556 vs 223 where as the 556 having 7k to 10k in higher pressure the 308win has about 2k more. C.O.A.L. is still at 2.800" in both. M118 chamber is 2.830" for the heavier 175gr. There are members here that have M1As and I think that they shoot 308win safely? Call SA customer service for best info! I would love to have a M1A, but not in my cards yet?

I hope you all understand that I am not trying to **** any of you off. But there are differences between .308 and 7.62 x 51 the NATO cartridge is made a little longer and the brass is a little thicker. That being said, in my own mind I believe that there are really nothing to worry about. Having said that I am looking for really expert information, not just what you believe. Again I believe that both are compatible, if you read the article I put here, it basically states the chamber pressures are the same. The most improbable impact would be case length in my mind that might cause problems. My reference to the ruger site was that ruger absolutely states that either 5.56 or .223 can be shot in any ranch 14 with the exception of the target model. I would love it if Springfield had the same thing only for the M1A for .308 and 7.62 x 51.

Again:

You can shoot 7.62x51 in a .308, but you cannot (well, should not) shoot .308 in a 7.62x51.

All current production M1A’s are .308.

Therefore, you can run both rounds in an M1A.

I know I have run both through mine with no ill effects.

I was just looking at specs for all the M1As from standard issue to super match. They all state caliber 308(7.62x51)

Back