testtest

Makarov ……..

Annihilator

Emissary
Founding Member
Anyone know anything about an East German 1960 Makarov? In great condition and comes with original military holster….with original German grips…...value?

IMG_20230429_091235361.jpeg

Last edited:
Anyone know anything about an East German 1960 Makarov? In great condition and comes with original military holster….with original German grips…...value?

View attachment 39332
I have one I bought years ago when they were first imported into the county. Some say the E. German pistols are the best made. I have carried it from time to time. Another member here has mentioned carrying one as well. Hopefully he will join the conversation.

I have one I bought years ago when they were first imported into the county. Some say the E. German pistols are the best made. I have carried it from time to time. Another member here has mentioned carrying one as well. Hopefully he will join the conversation.
Thanks for the info sir! I may have a chance in getting this, but just wanted some info and what its value is.

Prices have gone up on recent years, I would look at gun broker.

I have had various maks over the years. I gave my nephews each a Bulgarian for thier first pistols. Good handgun sturdy and accurate. I kept an East German for myself. The East German Maks are the cream of the crop. In my experience the East German has a superior trigger pull and nice blue finish. It still is the best shooting handgun I ever shot, in my hand.

Maks are unique, going off memory, in they only have 19 parts not including the mag. Of those parts all you need is a true Makarov cleaning rod to completely strip the pistol, except the pressed in barrel. Maintaining the Mak is a breeze, you change the firing pin simply by rotating the safety and dumping out the pin. Changing the main spring take about a minute.

I will always have a mak. I love the East German grip, it's much thinner thsn other variants, especially the crap import grip. I have carried the Mak for 20 years on and off, mostly on.

20230212_135535.jpg

E. Germans are going for $5-600 nowadays. I’ve got one, and the fit & finish are a lot nicer than the Bulgy I had for a while.

Beyond that? Maks are pretty much bombproof. Only 19 parts to them, iirc…

Get it. Fun little bit of history.

Made a typo too many parts lol Hans is correct 19.

I did have larger sights added to mine, not overly worried about wrecking value, it's not going anywhere. But my old eyes needed them for any kind of speed.

BTW, the hole in the back of the grip is where the lanyard is tied into.

Last edited:
Ok, now I got the itch to carry my fav pistol. Taking it out of my Ghb and putting the P365XL into the GHB in its place for a few days. Lol.

Honestly I trust it's reliability more thsman any other pistol I have owned, like i trust my revolvers, which is why it stays in the GHB and is always there no matter what else I may be carrying.

Last edited:
I did look at the pistol, it's nice, but the asking price is $700.00, I seen them on Gunbroker for various prices, price isn't negotiable .......so I will ponder on it....thanks guys for all your information and the Makarov sight.

I did look at the pistol, it's nice, but the asking price is $700.00, I seen them on Gunbroker for various prices, price isn't negotiable .......so I will ponder on it....thanks guys for all your information and the Makarov sight.
If the picture you posted is the same gun it showed too much wear for that price. If I was going to spend $700 the pistol would have to been almost new. I'd keep looking. Now it would be a different story if that Mak had been issued to Putin when he was assigned to E. Germany, but remember to always buy the gun and not the story!

If the picture you posted is the same gun it showed too much wear for that price. If I was going to spend $700 the pistol would have to been almost new. I'd keep looking. Now it would be a different story if that Mak had been issued to Putin when he was assigned to E. Germany, but remember to always buy the gun and not the story!
Yep, same gun.....still up in the air

It's kind of hard to tell in the photo but from what I see it looks pretty clean. Does not look like there is muzzle wear from a holster, mine had that when I got it. Typical plum color on the hammer. A nice coating of wax will make that blued finish pop, the EGs are the very best finished with a lovely blue finish. If it's as nice as it looks it woukd go in the higher prices for a Mak, EGs are like said the top. Holster is not something you find all the time.

They are the simplest of pistols to maintain. One screw pops off the grip if you want to look underneath. Under is the main spring which just slides out after you move a clip. Pull down the Trigger guard and move right or simply hook your finger under it like i do and retract the slide lifting up the back removes slide. If you take off the recoil spring watch carefully what end goes where. Rotating the safety lever takes it off and allows the firing pin to drop out again watch how it comes out. Pipe cleaners are handy to clean the channel you can hear the rattle when its nice and clean. So no, Maks are not considered drop safe for firing pins. Springs are available from Wolff. All Makarov parts interchange and NO, to those who think so Hungarians ,Polish Wanads, and Chezch CzS are NOT Makarovs they are pistols which shoot the 9x18 caliber.

Last edited:
E. Germans are going for $5-600 nowadays. I’ve got one, and the fit & finish are a lot nicer than the Bulgy I had for a while.

Beyond that? Maks are pretty much bombproof. Only 19 parts to them, iirc…

Get it. Fun little bit of history.
Hearing $200 for an East German made my wallet hurt, I paid $650 for mine over 8 years ago. I think they can go up to $800. I bought a Bulgarian Sneak, Russian military pistol imported as a Bulgarian that can go as high as $1500, for $350 at a gun show where the person clearly didn't know what they had. Fun pistols with a deep history.

I bought one in 1991 and have kept in my car since. When I sold the car, my son-in-law cleaned it out and managed to loose one of my mags. The one I have left is very short and only holds 5 cartridges. I have searched the internet for a replacement but can not find one. Does anyone know where I can find one or two replacements?

I bought one in 1991 and have kept in my car since. When I sold the car, my son-in-law cleaned it out and managed to loose one of my mags. The one I have left is very short and only holds 5 cartridges. I have searched the internet for a replacement but can not find one. Does anyone know where I can find one or two replacements?

Very short? Never heard of a "short" Makarov magazine. Are you sure it's a real Makarov? Or perhaps you are mistaking a 9x18 Makarov caliber magazine for another pistol as a Makarov magazine.

The P64 shoots 9x18 mak but only holds 6 rounds I suspect that is what you have. Either a wrong p64 mag or you have a p64 pistol.

If you have a p64 pistol you need a p64 mag. If you have a genuine Makarov pistol you need a genuine Makarov mag.they are not interchangeable.

Usually your best bet to find either is Gunbroker these days.

Last edited:
It was manufactured in Poland in 1974 and is stamped as a P64
That's what I figured. A lot of people mistakenly call several other pistols generically a Makarov. Look for magazibes specifically for a p64, not Makarov. I am not sure but never heard of a higher capacity P64 magazine than 6 rounds but I could easily be wrong.

Back