testtest

Managing a malfunction in semi-auto pistols

This—THIS is an important skill set to have!

If you say you don’t need it, because you’ve never experienced (insert malfunction here)?

You. Aren’t. Shooting. Enough.
Yes, indeed. I have had malfunctions over the years for various reasons, but never considered the ammunition. I ran two boxes of self defense ammo through my new XD-M Elite last week along with a box of practice ammo afterwards and noticed how much more powerful the self defense ammo was. There was a noticeable difference in recoil and ejected brass.

Interesting article. Agree that learning how to safely clear malfunctions is paramount. That said, it's obviously better to avoid malfunctions in the first place. I can't imagine why anyone would use potentially suspect ammo for any reason, especially self defense. The same is true for a dirty firearm...of course it'll be a problem at some point. Use quality ammo and take care of your firearm and your firearm will take care of you.

Assuming you don't set yourself up for failure by using poor ammo and a neglected firearm, I have experienced a couple of other scenarios that lead to stovepipe malfunctions. The first one is kind of expected. In an effort to tune my XDM, I was playing with different spring rates. Using the same ammo throughout, you definitely knew when you went too far as it would stovepipe every time. BTW, tuning the spring rate on an XDM is only for the truly bored. It's great right out of the box. The second scenario really had nothing to do with ammo, firearm cleanliness, or spring rate. The second scenario is something I refer to as limp wristing. After a long range session, you might have experienced it. You might have just thought the firearm was dirty after a few hundred rounds and that's why it malfunctioned. In reality, it might have just been the fact that you didn't lock your grip/wrist the way you should allowing for a sloppy recoil. I've done this a time or two but I especially see this with new shooters. This was my daughters first challenge to overcome. She would experience stovepipes 50% of the time and it was due to a weak grip/wrist. We worked to strengthen her grip and lock her wrist and the problem vanished. So, if you experience stovepipes frequently...your ammo and firearm might be fine...it might just be you. ;)

Interesting article. Agree that learning how to safely clear malfunctions is paramount. That said, it's obviously better to avoid malfunctions in the first place. I can't imagine why anyone would use potentially suspect ammo for any reason, especially self defense. The same is true for a dirty firearm...of course it'll be a problem at some point. Use quality ammo and take care of your firearm and your firearm will take care of you.

Assuming you don't set yourself up for failure by using poor ammo and a neglected firearm, I have experienced a couple of other scenarios that lead to stovepipe malfunctions. The first one is kind of expected. In an effort to tune my XDM, I was playing with different spring rates. Using the same ammo throughout, you definitely knew when you went too far as it would stovepipe every time. BTW, tuning the spring rate on an XDM is only for the truly bored. It's great right out of the box. The second scenario really had nothing to do with ammo, firearm cleanliness, or spring rate. The second scenario is something I refer to as limp wristing. After a long range session, you might have experienced it. You might have just thought the firearm was dirty after a few hundred rounds and that's why it malfunctioned. In reality, it might have just been the fact that you didn't lock your grip/wrist the way you should allowing for a sloppy recoil. I've done this a time or two but I especially see this with new shooters. This was my daughters first challenge to overcome. She would experience stovepipes 50% of the time and it was due to a weak grip/wrist. We worked to strengthen her grip and lock her wrist and the problem vanished. So, if you experience stovepipes frequently...your ammo and firearm might be fine...it might just be you. ;)

Malfunctions happen, it’s just nature of the beast and not always ammo related it could be a part of the firearm that caused it. A LE buddy had a spring break in his service weapon. It would still fire, single shot. Avoiding them would be great but being prepared would be better.

Malfunctions happen, it’s just nature of the beast and not always ammo related it could be a part of the firearm that caused it. A LE buddy had a spring break in his service weapon. It would still fire, single shot. Avoiding them would be great but being prepared would be better.
Spring break should be fun, but in his case it wasn't!

Back