testtest

Marine Corps Overhauls Marksmanship Standards

Talyn

SAINT
Founding Member
The Marine Corps has long preached a mantra that every Marine is a rifleman first—and now they’re changing how those riflemen are trained, to make them more effective in combat.

1714410426968.png

:rolleyes: Typical. Sounds good in theory, but with today's military, if it works let's fix it till it's broke. Who's making the $, who is getting a big attaboy in his file, or a promotion?
Maybe I'm just jaded.

From personal experience we Marines have never had any issues with being "combat effective " with the marksmanship training we've had in years past.
Here in the last near two decades everything has been effected by general officers and congress to change things that worked effectively.
It's no longer the Corps I served in.

From personal experience we Marines have never had any issues with being "combat effective " with the marksmanship training we've had in years past.
Here in the last near two decades everything has been effected by general officers and congress to change things that worked effectively.
It's no longer the Corps I served in.

Totally accidental. ;)

I don't know about the Marines, but my Son was always frustrated when Army range day was sometimes done in t-shirts and sometimes in full assault gear, with people who could easily qual in t-shirts not being effective in full battle kit. After he started flying and was tasked with helping with fellow pilots do small arms quals he had pushed to have them shoot every time in their full flight gear.

Last edited:
My father shot “expert” as a Marine Recruit on day 1 of basic rifle in 1958 with the M1.
Shot 96 of 100. Shot 100 of 100 regularly.
His DI was elated and my father never had issues with the DI after that, after all, he taught this Marine.
(Dad was an avid hunter from early on and skilled hunter before high school)
Went on to Nuclear Warhead School at Ft Sill when the Pentagon thought Marines should have short range nukes. (Honest John).
They changed their mind and said no nukes for Marines.
He has 20/20 vision now in his 80s and was 20/10 before old age took over.
To this day, he can kick my 💩💩 with a rifle. Even the new AR-15.
Always a Marine Marksman. He has taught me a lot with breathing and firing technique.

IMG_0843.jpeg
IMG_1349.jpeg

Edit… I bought him a M1 years ago and he was elated. He kicked my a$$ with it having not fired one since 1962

IMG_2213.jpeg

KillerFord1977, Like yours my Dad was a combat vet. WWII and one of the frozen chosen. Wonder what he would have to say about this? I'll bet his words would get me banned from this site. ;)
Agree.
My dad always says his dad taught him to shoot and be a hunter.
The Marines he said made him perfection.

Back