testtest

Mechanical or electronic?

Had a liberty safe, electronic lock. Worked ok, just didn’t trust it in case electronics part failed, but got a good friend who is a professional lock smith, he could get in if needed.......lol. The model I wanted only came with electronic lock.

I have both. And to be honest I like my mechanical better. The electronic is easy and faster to get in, but when it went down I could not get in my safe. Had to order a new lock and replace it before I could access my safe. The worst of it all, I ruined the lock myself. Had a friend that said if you had a strong magnet, you could slide it accross the front and you could throw the bolts and open it. Well, I got a super strong neodymium magnet. I gave it a try and slide it accross the front of the safe a few times and nope! It didn't throw the bolts which I was happy to discover. Then, I realized that I ruined the electronic lock by getting the magnet too close to the lock. It was two weeks before I received my new lock. Since then I have purchased another safe but with a mechanical lock. Have to say even though it takes a few seconds longer to get into, I like it better. The security of less vulnerability is what I like. I was told by a locksmith that when you elect for convenience, you sacrifice security. I know what everyone is thinking, I'm an idiot for trying the magnet. However... I wanted to know for sure if it could be done, and if I had a quality safe or not. Worst case scenario, perhaps someone might get a laugh out my experience. So... Mechanical is my preference because of this...

I was strictly old school dial lock in the past but I've found myself embracing the digital lock with backup key. Most safes that come with a back up key have a cheap tube key lock which are easy to bypass with an inexpensive tool you can find on Amazon or eBay. A good thing to do is swap out the cheaper factory lock for something like the one I have attached. If you have any kinda mechanical ability it's not too difficult of a project to take on. Most popular gun safes can be upgraded to whatever type lock you are looking for.

Last edited:
My main (Liberty) is electronic keypad, 6 digit, with an easy-swap 9v battery that does not reset the code when swapping. I have a mechanical bedside that I want to swap for a biometric when budget permits. I also have an RFID with mechanical backup in the car. Long as I have a backup or an easy battery swap, I'm good. And if the S really HTF...I have an 1890s Mosler bank fire safe with an old wheel/tumbler mech on it. I can't even put it in the house, it's so heavy - it'll go right through my floor! But it holds down a good sized section of the garage at the moment...

Back