testtest

Mil, MOA or inches?

Talyn

SAINT
Founding Member
There are essentially three different ways to correct for trajectory or wind when shooting at long range; mil, MOA and the inch.

Mil, MOA or inches?

1 MOA = 1.0472" at 100 yds
1 mil = 3.6" at 100 yds
1 mil = 3.4377 MOA (at any distance, both are angular measurements)
3.5 mils = 12.03 MOA ; let's round it up to 12 MOA = 48 clicks
1 click = 1/4 or 1/8 MOA (depends on the scope)

1608695812349.png

I use both also in ffp and sfp for a well rounded versatility! Shoot regularly with iron sights when scope failure could happen? I try to cover all bases if possible!

I just turn the adjustment screws until I’m dead on. Never worried much about what it’s called. Of course I’m not shooting 1000 yards either.

I'll use either one depending on what I'm doing at the time, but more often than not teach using the 'inch' method. It seems to be a better choice for those of us who never saw a need for the metric system!!!!

I prefer MOA when it comes to fancy reticles, inch with DOA reticles, a couple mil-dots, and one Mil scope which works but I don't like the Mil-system.

I started out shooting Mil, it’s what I was trained on. I transitioned to MOA and I much prefer it. MOA and Mil are angular measurements and not linear math as in Mil=metric. You could get a MOA scope with Mil reticle. I like BDC reticle for my hunting rifles.

Back