testtest

Mindset: The Most Important Defensive Tool

I think that mindset is perhaps the most important aspect of the self-defense package.

Sadly, it's too often just glossed-over.

I'm glad you brought this one up, @Talyn .

I've got the PDN stuff described in the above article (including Pincus' full Counter Ambush set)....to be truthful, I didn't find them that helpful in establishing mindset.

Not that it's bad: it's not, particularly for beginners - but I really didn't feel that they added much to the conversation.

I'd like to recommend the following:

Video:

^ It's graphic, but absolutely not in an exploitative way. Paul Howe needs no introduction, and his very sobering examination of this most crucial topic set alight the M4C.net in its day.

Books:

^ An amazing modern look into violence at the street/interpersonal level. It's no lie that I've led a sedate and quiet adult life - one that I'm grateful for - but I grew up very poor, and these books each in their way allowed me to gain insight into the episodes of social violence that I glimpsed during those times, and allowed my suburban-dad adult mind to come to grips with and better understand why in some situations I feel what I feel.

Seminars:

https://aprillriskconsulting.com/ - Dr. Aprill's seminars are taught in various formats/lengths throughout the country, hosted by many of today's top-tier schools and as guest-lecturer by many 2A-foundations. If I had to pick between Grossman's lecture or Aprill's, I'd pick Aprill's.

Back