testtest

Mom wants to learn to shoot

benstt

Professional
Founding Member
My mom, who's disliked firearms her whole life, just this week decided she wants to learn to target shoot. I have my suspicions why (new granddaughter or because I've touted the zen aspect of pistol shooting) but no matter why she's suddenly into it, it'll be fun to take her out with a .22 and a .38 special.

That's good advice. Yeah, there'll be plenty of safety instruction. Get her started on something with light recoil and good precision, like my Ruger Single Six .22 or the 686 with .38s, and she might enjoy it a lot. It's so much more fun for new shooters when the gun pretty much won't let you miss and it doesn't buck at all. It just goes bang and there's a hole in the target.

Good for your Mom, benstt! Based on what I have seen here and elsewhere, she is not alone. I know you will teach her the things she needs to know, just don't do such a great job that she starts besting you at target shooting! :)
Funny thing, but the Army noticed a long time ago that the gals often did better at weapons handling and BRM (basic rifle marksmanship) - didn’t have all the bad habits a lot of guys came in with !!!

Good for your Mom, benstt! Based on what I have seen here and elsewhere, she is not alone. I know you will teach her the things she needs to know, just don't do such a great job that she starts besting you at target shooting! :)
Good teachers teaching can yield great students. Students bettering teacher, if good teacher, I'd take as a complement if was the teacher. Not much better than any teachers smile and sense of accomplishment when students do well.....on the other hand, give 'em a run for their money! :) Two thumbs up for mom!!!!

My mom, who's disliked firearms her whole life, just this week decided she wants to learn to target shoot. I have my suspicions why (new granddaughter or because I've touted the zen aspect of pistol shooting) but no matter why she's suddenly into it, it'll be fun to take her out with a .22 and a .38 special.
My Mom is exactly the same way. My sister has been a pretty successful cowboy shooter for awhile now but my Mom has remained uninterested in guns. Since her only son got involved though, it’s been different. She’s 85 and is not going to take up shooting but the other week she wanted to hold some to see how heavy they are. The sight of my Mom brandishing an (unloaded) shining stainless 1911 in my backyard was almost comical. Good luck to you and your Mom. You truly are never too old to change!

Good for you.
It is so much fun teaching people. My wife was worried because there are times I am just hurry up and get it done when she takes interest in what I am doing, but she Loved the way I taught her to shoot. The only thing that makes her nervous now is a fte. Not that she does not need more practice in other things as well, but her nervous level is almost zero now,except for having a fte, then she is like a little kid with a fish on the hook that you have to remove.

Benstt, its great your mom wants to learn to shoot. I would suggest stressing safety. Also, you can teach her 90% of shooting without ever firing a shot. Show her the sight alignment/sight picture (many don’t know the difference) grip, stance etc. Most importantly, work on trigger pull. Once she has the fundamentals down, you can let her actually shoot. Shooting just reenforces everything you’ve been teaching. With ammo being as expensive and hard to find nowadays as it is, no need to waste it.

That was great fun. It was a blast to see mom enjoy herself, hit some bullseyes, and learn that not all guns kill kids in schools. My dad's an old soldier so he took to it quick, especially the 686. My mom started flinching with the .38 and hitting low. She did great with my Buckmark. I don't have converts yet but they certainly had fun and got rid of their negative impressions. A good day all around.

Attachments

• 20210505_174045.jpg
    20210505_174045.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 122
  • 20210505_180423.jpg
    20210505_180423.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 139
  • 20210505_180650.jpg
    20210505_180650.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 127
Last edited:
That was great fun. It was a blast to see mom enjoy herself, hit some bullseyes, and learn that not all guns kill kids in schools. My dad's an old soldier so he took to it quick, especially the 686. My mom started flinching with the .38 and hitting low. She did great with my Buckmark. I don't have converts yet but they certainly had fun and got rid of their negative impressions. A good day all around.
That is Outstanding !!

Back