testtest

New Custom shop 10/22

C. Sumpin

Custom
Had her for eight months, time to get it out of the case; need sights. What I think I want is red dot type optics rather than scope even though it is a precision piece. Intended use is plinking/squirrels in close, target to perhaps 100 yards. Elder user, prefer largest "window" view with 2MOA. Sure, I can spend weeks researching the possibilities but will consider and make a purchase from the replies. Thanks.

Had her for eight months, time to get it out of the case; need sights. What I think I want is red dot type optics rather than scope even though it is a precision piece. Intended use is plinking/squirrels in close, target to perhaps 100 yards. Elder user, prefer largest "window" view with 2MOA. Sure, I can spend weeks researching the possibilities but will consider and make a purchase from the replies. Thanks.
Any pics?

I don't know about a red dot. If I was going to suggest one you all already know what it would be. Romeo 5.

On my 10/22 I have had a $40 Tasco on it for about 40 years now and it's just ridiculously accurate. I would definitely be looking at a scope on a 10/22.

Attachments

• Photo on 4-11-21 at 8.21 PM.jpg
    Photo on 4-11-21 at 8.21 PM.jpg
    194.2 KB · Views: 122
You could look at a Vortex Spitfire 3x Prism Scope. It gives you the capabilities of a scope and a reflex sight. I don’t know if this is overkill for a 10/22.
That thing looks interesting; like the magnification, wonder about rapid target acquisition?

As an elder you might want to consider a holographic instead of a red dot. You might want to consider the EO Tech EXPS3. It will take magnification if you want and has a wider field of view.

I don't know about a red dot. If I was going to suggest one you all already know what it would be. Romeo 5.

On my 10/22 I have had a $40 Tasco on it for about 40 years now and it's just ridiculously accurate. I would definitely be looking at a scope on a 10/22.
the chart on the romeos is confusing; do you have a model #? Is it the high dollar (MSRP $449) one?

the chart on the romeos is confusing; do you have a model #? Is it the high dollar (MSRP $449) one?

There's Romeo zero, Romeo 1, Romeo 4, Romeo 5 and each one of them has different models with different features.

I have 4 of these.

That said, what's your budget? Because if you are willing to spend $450 on an optic you can do much better than a Romeo 5. I like the Romeo's because they're cheap, they're bulletproof and they're shake awake. But if I had $500 to spend on an optic I would probably pick an Eotech Holographic sight or a Holosun 510SC.

That said, the main reason for a red dot is fast target acquisition, at close range, without closing one of your eyes. For a .22 I would most definitely be looking at scopes.

I would put a 1x4 or 1x6 low power optic(scope).
Give you 1x for close in squirrel shots - quick acquisition. 3-6x power when they get higher in the tree.

its what I have on my .22
Vortex 1x6 crossfire

i actively squirrel hunt. When they stop at the top of the tree from hauling a$$ in circles on the way up, 3x + comes in handy

edit: and when they jump tree to tree and end up 3 trees over, higher magnification is a game changer

I would put a 1x4 or 1x6 low power optic(scope).
Give you 1x for close in squirrel shots - quick acquisition. 3-6x power when they get higher in the tree.

its what I have on my .22
Vortex 1x6 crossfire

i actively squirrel hunt. When they stop at the top of the tree from hauling a$$ in circles on the way up, 3x + comes in handy
Vortex makes nice little affordable scopes.

Huummmmm...............now I think I should consider a scope.............I'm a sucker for quality/versatility so I'll probably bust the budget...........AGAIN!
Not a fan of atn at all.. they dont offer the range needed at night over a thermal... not worth the image/value/frustration over a base model thermal.

also, it wont serve your purpose. Only hogs can legally be hunted at night

Not a fan of atn at all.. they dont offer the range needed at night over a thermal... not worth the image/value/frustration over a base model thermal.

also, it wont serve your purpose. Only hogs can legally be hunted at night
Yeah but it's a cool scope man. The Thor is a cool scope. Of course I know jack $hi7 about thermal scopes and I know you are really familiar with them. I didn't think he wanted to drop 3k on a scope though. :)

More than likely he wll be more than happy with a nice $300 Vortex scope. Like I said, I have some $30 crappy 40 year old Tasco on my 10/22 and I can smoke a squirrel right in his eye from 100 yards with it.

Yeah but it's a cool scope man. The Thor is a cool scope. Of course I know jack $hi7 about thermal scopes and I know you are really familiar with them. I didn't think he wanted to drop 3k on a scope though. :)

More than likely he wll be more than happy with a nice $300 Vortex scope. Like I said, I have some $30 crappy 40 year old Tasco on my 10/22 and I can smoke a squirrel right in his eye from 100 yards with it.
I have tasco and redfields serve me well for 30 yrs just like my $$$$ scopes.
ATN is cool on paper, but almost everyone I know, including me, are disappointed with the hype.

I have tasco and redfields serve me well for 30 yrs just like my $$$$ scopes.
ATN is cool on paper, but almost everyone I know, including me, are disappointed with the hype.
A buddy of mine at work has a Thor and he's a hog hunter. He seems to like it a lot. I am quite sure he hasn't experienced the difference you have between entry level thermal and the stuff you use though.

Back