testtest

New gun decision

I was in the market, when I was going through my EDC licensing process. Fortunately in Maryland....that takes forEVER.

When it came time for my range live-fire testing, I still hadn't decided. I'd been firing full-frames and some compacts, and doing research. I stumbled on the XDs specs the night before my range test and they had one at the shop where I was taking my tests, and as soon as it was in my hand...it fit. I'm a skinny guy so I want compact for concealment, but I have big paws so I didn't want to feel like I was clutching a pencil. The #2 backstrap fits me just perfect; it doesn't rotate; it doesn't pivot; it stays where I put it (on target).

I ran five rounds through it before my test (they had some spare rounds from a prior class) - and I put 'em through 3 holes.

I took my test, and this particular range has you do four targets, not just one, to eliminate any "lucky shots". Out of a 250 score on each target...I shot a 250/248/248/250.

With a gun I'd put five rounds through, prior to testing.

We seem to work well together - and that's what drove my decision, at least for this purchase. It HAD to work well for me considering the designated use - EDC. I have to be able to be accurate, and keep accurate, as well as conceal properly in the Republik of Maryland (full of whiny gun-scared people).

I want to try a Hellcat, for the same reason - I know SA makes guns that work for me; I know this package size works for me; I like the new U-dot sights; and I LOVE the added capacity.

Unfortunately, I'm not in a financial position to just buy 'em 'cause I like 'em...at the moment. But, I'll get there.

What influences you when you go to buy a new gun? What helps you to make up your mind?

I am one to do LOTS of research. I want to spend my hard earned money on the right gun, and since I don't buy a lot of them, I need to make the purchase count. I'll read reviews in the various magazines, find everything I can online, look at the gun in person and hold it in my hand, and if possible, shoot it at the range before I purchase it. Fortunately, the local store that has the indoor range I go to the most will "rent" any gun they have on the range for the cost of buying a box of ammo. And the ones they don't have, I probably know someone who has it that will let me meet them at the range to shoot it.

The only impulse buys I've made were in fact BOTH for XDM's! I had been trying different 9mm pistols at the range, and had my heart set on the XDM 5.25 9mm, but was biding my time to get one. Then, lo and behold I was in Academy and they had that exact model on CLEARANCE for over $300 off - I think I paid just over $400. I couldn't walk out of there without taking it with me, now could I? Fast forward a year or so, and I liked that XDM 5.25 so much that I had my eye set on a XDM Compact for EDC, when I found out that it had been discontinued. I immediately went and found one online and put it on lay-away, paying for it at Bud's over a few month period, and they shipped it to my FFL once I made the last payment.

The Ruger LCP I carry and the LC380 I got my daughter were both planned purchases, unlike the XDM's.

.45 acp it's silly to have to shoot twice.
Exactly. 45ACP not that heavy to carry and gets the job done. If you need more than 5 or 6 rounds
you really should have avoided the firefight or spent more time at the range. Still carry a couple extra mags for balance!

I really don't like plastic striker fired pistols. I don't like pistols without safeties. My EDC is a EMP 4, 9 mm. That said I have a Glock S&W 40 that is a little tricked out but it is my walk in the woods gun. I first decide on the caliber gun for the job at hand. Then how will I carry it. Then how much will I spend. Then the gun. Then the the holster. If it all works out then the dies and start reloading for it. Now if I get something new then I give up something nice to my two grandsons. I like seeing them smile while I am alive. A really good combo would be a semi auto carbine in 10 mm with a nice 10 mm pistol as a companion. From your average whitetail to hogs to thugs there isn't much that those two could not handle.

Along with all the cannons and small guns I have, I do have 3 40cals. Ruger SR 40 and a couple Glocks. Also a Grandson and he smiles a lot around here. I'm undecided on 10mm. Only out lay is the firearm, have all the
loading tools for it.

Back