testtest

New Gun Owner Guide: Basics of Cleaning, Shooting and Storage

Great article Annihilator, I was happy to see in the article the author mentioned the owner’s manual and how it provides information on the gun, I feel strongly that this is an important resource that does get the attention it deserves.

Great article Annihilator, I was happy to see in the article the author mentioned the owner’s manual and how it provides information on the gun, I feel strongly that this is an important resource that does get the attention it deserves.

Not sure if I'm off base here, but I feel like the XD/XDM manual leaves a lot to be desired in the maintenance department. I'd really like to hear from the engineers about maintenance intervals on the gun, best practices, preferred solvents, etc.

Not sure if I'm off base here, but I feel like the XD/XDM manual leaves a lot to be desired in the maintenance department. I'd really like to hear from the engineers about maintenance intervals on the gun, best practices, preferred solvents, etc.
Not sure on the maintenance intervals your referring to, probably just replace recoil and striker springs, check the striker itself, but Springfield does recommend Lucas Oil products for cleaning and lubrication. You could also call up there customer service or email customer service for recommendations. Here is the CS number 800-680-6866.

Last edited:
With ultra-sonic cleaning becoming more common, I'd like to see all manuals provide directions, recommended solutions, prohibitions, etc for this cleaning method which will obviously differ based on materials used in fabrication.
Basic cleaning only takes the gun down minimally with further breakdown typically directed to "factory or qualified gunsmiths" which makes sense and is all well and good. However, for ultrasonic cleaning, full breakdown is not so necessary plus, can the polymer structures be submitted to this cleaning method? How will they react to various solutions known to be ok for metal parts?
For instance, cleaning of my 9mm Hellcat is super simple, unless I want to clean "all" the parts. Can I just drop the receiver in a sonic cleaner with a specific solution for 5 minutes, following any needed neutralizing steps, then use Lyman Products Ultrasonic Barrel/Gun Parts Lubricant without further take-down?

I completely agree! The manual is garbage for helping learn to clean. My XD-9 is my first pistol and trying to learn all I can about keeping it in tip-top shape. Sad you have to resort to a deep dive on YouTube and cobble together all that info.

Back