testtest

New Record for Background Checks, Gun Sales for the Year

Well, we already KNEW that...until industry opens back up, there's no way any of it will catch up to demand.

Flow chart.

Ammo industry makes a product, from materials from other industries.

Those other industries are (completely or partially) closed for business, therefore they are not producing goods at the normal rate.

Those OTHER industries need to get back online, and catch up to THEIR demand (mining, refining, shipping, etc), before the ammo industry will have enough materials to start catching up to THEIR demand.

You will note that shipping is also a part of the process - we all know how pathetically long it takes to get packages. Same for big industry. We can't get stuff, they can't get stuff. They can't get stuff, they can't make stuff. They can't make stuff, we can't buy stuff.

But, nobody thought of this when we shut down the globe.

Great article. I wonder how many more guns would've been sold if there had been an adequate supply. In 2012 and 2016 I remember seeing gun cases with a limited selection, but I never saw empty cases at big box stores until 2020. Springfield did an excellent job getting Hellcats out to stores, but most manufacturers dropped the ball. In my area, a new buyer can choose from high-end $1911's, single-action .22's (Heritage and Ruger), or the Hellcat. The Hellcat is a great gun, but I have no doubt that a large number of buyers in my area chose the Hellcat because it was the only option that was in-stock.

Great article. I wonder how many more guns would've been sold if there had been an adequate supply. In 2012 and 2016 I remember seeing gun cases with a limited selection, but I never saw empty cases at big box stores until 2020. Springfield did an excellent job getting Hellcats out to stores, but most manufacturers dropped the ball. In my area, a new buyer can choose from high-end $1911's, single-action .22's (Heritage and Ruger), or the Hellcat. The Hellcat is a great gun, but I have no doubt that a large number of buyers in my area chose the Hellcat because it was the only option that was in-stock.
Yeah, if you want a high end 1911 you’re spoiled for choice practically anywhere you go.

Dumb question, but I am assuming the numbers cited for background check is a simple Firearm purchase = 1 background check?

More selfishly if it is then 4 of those are mine in Dec ha.

it depends. The last two 4473+ background checks I did were for 2 guns and 3 guns respectively. You are allowed up to 5 guns per 4473 I believe. They have to be the same “ Type” though. You can’t have 2 handguns and 3 long guns on the same form for example.

Don't know whether it's pertinent or not, but just for info sake ...... when I went to pick up the Python my yard son had sent to me it was on Tuesday afternoon about 3:30pm. I filled out the 4473 in about 10minutes as it was the paper version. The phone call in was done about 3:45+-pm and we waited. Well he closed at 5:30pm and we still had not received a reply.

He called me the next day (Wednesday about 11:am) and said I was good to go .... all clear. While talking with him at the store I asked what time the return call had come in. He said about 8:30pm Tuesday night. So it took the better part of 5 hours to get my NICS bg-check cleared. He explained that in recent days which would have included the few days after the election that NICS background checks had been running from 8-10 hrs to >2 days.

Sounds like they were really backed up beginning right after the election results were known.

I guess I'll find out Mon or Tue when my 2 ba receivers come in and the ffl is in the house? Under normal circumstances 2 min on paperwork and 2 min for phone call. I haven't bought anything in 2020 and not counting the ones that "Fell off the truck" ;) I have received ffl items at my address before on the sender labeling my address by accident! I was surprised when opening the box and promptly went straight to the the correct ffl store. I notified the place where the order came from so "Hopefully" it wont happen again by their part!

Back