testtest

10 Features Your EDC Knife Needs

20240419_103308.jpg

These are the knives that I most frequently carry.

The SAK Climber on top is the one I most often carry because it's the one that's in my gym bag and I go to the gym everyday.

I went to Costco the other day and somebody tapped my car. They didn't hit it too hard but they hit it hard enough to knock that plastic skirt underneath the front end loose.

As I was driving out of the Costco parking lot I heard a sound under my car that sounded like one of my tires had gone flat. I pulled over and I found the skirt flopping loose. The only knife I had on me was the climber and I used it to cut skirt off the front of the car so I could get home. Utility uses like that is what I use a knife for most often.

My last assignment in the National Guard was an Ammo Handler in an artillery unit. I used the Gerber multi-tool at the bottom of the photo every single time I went to the field.

I used it to cut the banding wires off of ammo crates. I used it to break loose the Eye Bolt Lifting Plugs on the tops of the rounds.

FB_IMG_1713545152052.jpg

After I got out of the army I worked as a security guard for Colorado Springs Utilities. One of my duties when I was walking the fence line was rehanging signs on the fence as needed. I carried that multi-tool every day at work because it came in very handy for that.

The knife I carried most at work was the blue Buck Knife in the photo.

I had a crazy idea in the back of my head that someday I might have to use it to cut somebody's seat belt in a car wreck but it never happened. I cut a lot of boxes open with it.

I had a lot of basic utility uses for a knife at work but I never had to use one to defend myself. If I had my carry choices might be different.

I bought the SAK because I wanted an SAK for my collection. Ot's the only knife I own that doesn't have a locking blade.

Except that knife, I won't carry a knife if it doesn't have a locking blade, can't be opened with one hand and can't be opened with the left hand.

I don't worry too much about heat treats or blade steels because I don't put my knives to extremely hard use.

I didn't see what the specific 9 things were, but it is a well thought out and informative article. For steels I like the super steels, M390, SV90, CPM Cruwear, Magnacut, etc. but I have a couple that are 154, including a Benchmade, and I have no issues with them.

My latest is a Benchmade 539GY Anonimous 5" fixed blade and it is at this point my favorite, with the Micotech UTX 85 on top for pocket carry. The Bugout is great too.

Nice article. Thanks for posting Randall.

EDC for me means pocketknife. It's got to have a knife blade. A handle. Need to able to easily pinch it open, better still in cold wet mittens. Thong hole is nice, but not mandatory. Wow FIVE more....................beats the $#!+ out of me.
download.png

Thanks, Bassbob! Those are some good blades you are carrying. I make my customs with 154CM, which is easy for me to finish and heat-treat. It holds a good edge and is reasonably priced.

Randall
And they are easy to sharpen. When I got the Benchmade (Osbourne) Barrage I was at first less than excited about it being 154CM instead of S30V or M390, but I have grown to like it quite a bit. Still pretty tough and good edge retention and sharpens up quickly and easily.

Do you have a website/store or do you just make them for your own enjoyment ?

I make them for my own enjoyment, Bassbob. The photo of the knife with badge in background is the one I made that I carry on duty. That’s my captains badge and medal with V on the uniform. The next photo in the article captioned, “Knives can have many different handles,” are a selection of knives I have made. I’d rather enjoy knife making as a hobby and not a business…

Randall

I make them for my own enjoyment, Bassbob. The photo of the knife with badge in background is the one I made that I carry on duty. That’s my captains badge and medal with V on the uniform. The next photo in the article captioned, “Knives can have many different handles,” are a selection of knives I have made. I’d rather enjoy knife making as a hobby and not a business…

Randall
Great stuff. You should consider selling some. I'd buy one.

I haven't really tried this on any super steels but it does quiet a job on my Benchmade 710 and Griptilian both of which are 154 CM.

That looks pretty cool. No reason it wouldn't work on M390 etc. if it has diamond stones available for it.

I just went to Amazon to buy one. It was $34.60. Then I signed into my account and it was $48.50. When I clicked on the original link again it was $48.50. It's not that I don't think it's worth it or can't spare the fifty bucks, but I don't appreciate the sleight of hand so F 'em.

Last edited:
Bc22wm,

That knife looks familiar. I am certainly with you that each person has their own EDC needs. Thanks for weighing in!

Randall
Full discloser, that I usually include in the original post, Stole the pic. from the interweb. Mine doesn't look nearly so nice.

"each person has their own EDC needs." Truer words have never been spoken. Guns, extra ammo, knives, 1st aid, etc. If someone wants to carry X,Y,&Z more power to them, just please don't preach to me that I'm unprepared or don't care about my family if I have a NAA in one pocket, slip joint in another and a band aid in my wallet.

It's a decent primer on knives in general, I would not say just EDC, there
I didn't see what the specific 9 things were, but it is a well thought out and informative article. For steels I like the super steels, M390, SV90, CPM Cruwear, Magnacut, etc. but I have a couple that are 154, including a Benchmade, and I have no issues with them.

My latest is a Benchmade 539GY Anonimous 5" fixed blade and it is at this point my favorite, with the Micotech UTX 85 on top for pocket carry. The Bugout is great too.

Nice article. Thanks for posting Randall.
I thought the same thing, but did not say anything as I tend to get to long winded talking about knives lol.

Good primer article for those who know very little about knives in general.

Great article from Randall Wilson, combines great points about different needs for blades with some personal use & heirloom history. Not only are you a bladesmith Mr. Wilson -you're a great wordsmith! While I have always been disciplined about only carrying handguns with the same operating characteristics as the work guns, I've enjoyed a variety of folding knives with Al Mar, Microtech and Three Rivers and Harsey being fav's in the rotation.

For most of the last decade at work I carried a Gerber Applegate folder given to me as a Father's Day present by my son. I also was an early adopter of the Kabar TDI which I had mounted out of sight behind my mag-pouch as a "get off me" blade. My most recent purchase is one of the SkallyWag MDV Plus One minimalist blades. Either the SkallWag or TDI ride in my left pants pocket and both are set up in sheaths that easily come loose as they exit the pocket. Another, lesser appreciated blade is the olde timey designed "Sharpfinger" from Schrade. Blades are fun and everyone should follow Jethro Gibbs' rule #9!

Back