testtest

Off Hand Shooting

KillerFord1977

SAINT
Founding Member
I had done a little bit of the off hand shooting for drills and such, but never really took the time to hone the skillset.

Well, i am left eye dominant and right handed. Do everything right handed except fire long guns and shot guns. Southpaw.

I would cant my head to look down the pistol sights clearly while using the right hand. Over 20+ years, it came natural and second nature.

so I decided to hone the left handed shooting, while using 2 hands on the gun and proper grip technique.

i’ll be damned... came natural after a few mags and I can now fire extremely well left handed as well.

Practice Practice Practice

cant wait to work on rapid fire and movement

had a few flyers at first but tightened them up . 7 yards plus some rapid fire on the last mag just to see
79DE8C0D-E8F6-4396-B235-546AAAE0EFB1.jpeg

I had done a little bit of the off hand shooting for drills and such, but never really took the time to hone the skillset.

Well, i am left eye dominant and right handed. Do everything right handed except fire long guns and shot guns. Southpaw.

I would cant my head to look down the pistol sights clearly while using the right hand. Over 20+ years, it came natural and second nature.

so I decided to hone the left handed shooting, while using 2 hands on the gun and proper grip technique.

i’ll be damned... came natural after a few mags and I can now fire extremely well left handed as well.

had a few flyers at first but tightened them up . 7 yards plus some rapid fire on the last mag just to see
View attachment 6621
1590541668190.jpeg

Yep, that’s our KillerFord.........lol

I'm pretty sure most Pro's teach that shooters, especially new shooters, should always hold in the hand matching the dominant eye. In my years of teaching, I'm convinced it proved to be a better bet over all. I can't say for certain it worked for every shooter with this anomaly, but then I can't say exactly how hard each of them tried/practiced either. Just something to ponder! :)

regards,
jumpinjoe

I'm pretty sure most Pro's teach that shooters, especially new shooters, should always hold in the hand matching the dominant eye. In my years of teaching, I'm convinced it proved to be a better bet over all. I can't say for certain it worked for every shooter with this anomaly, but then I can't say exactly how hard each of them tried/practiced either. Just something to ponder! :)

regards,
jumpinjoe

Tons of left handed guitarists in the old days had to learn to play right handed because of the lack of left handed guitars. That’s why most of them now can play either way or in a lot of cases they can just flip a regular right handed guitar upside down, without rearranging the strings and still play very well.

View attachment 6621
That center target 3 has a really nice tight shot group! nice shooting ! what Brand & Caliber of that pistol It almost looks like my 92FS Compact .our indoor range is still closed I am ready to do some pistol shooting.

I may have to try shooting lefty. I'm left-eye, right-hand, left-foot. Write right handed, pistol (so far) right handed, frisbee right handed, baseball left handed, batting switch, soccer left foot, long gun lefty, archery right or left.

I'm a mess.

Dad was full-lefty, mom is full-right. (not politics...lol)

I naturally started, and have been shooting, my XDs right handed. I may try some left-hand shooting to see how it goes.

Tons of left handed guitarists in the old days had to learn to play right handed because of the lack of left handed guitars. That’s why most of them now can play either way or in a lot of cases they can just flip a regular right handed guitar upside down, without rearranging the strings and still play very well.
So true. A little known story is about Jimi Hendriks and how he achieved such a unique sound...... he obviously played left handed on a right handed guitar that he restrung to left hand. However, he didn't turn the pick-ups around to match the stringing. So the sound was a combination of his outstanding playing and the pick-ups being orientated toward the right hand stringing.

Now I'm no electronics expert by any means and I don't fully understand just how that would make a difference, but it seems likely to be true. No one I ever heard could imitate some of the effects he got from his guitars.

And just to set the record straight, most of his stuff I really liked. His version of our national anthem I literally detest. Not only is it just a lot of screeching and scratching, but to me it's just plain disrespectful to distort our national anthem like that. And I feel the same way when some singer goes way off from the way it was written with all the wailing and double syllable words. They call it their version .... I call it disrespect. The National Anthem should be done as close to how it was written as an entertainer can do.

Oh well, just my opinion, and everybody has one. Just something to ponder! :)

regards,
jumpinjoe

So true. A little known story is about Jimi Hendriks and how he achieved such a unique sound...... he obviously played left handed on a right handed guitar that he restrung to left hand. However, he didn't turn the pick-ups around to match the stringing. So the sound was a combination of his outstanding playing and the pick-ups being orientated toward the right hand stringing.

Now I'm no electronics expert by any means and I don't fully understand just how that would make a difference, but it seems likely to be true. No one I ever heard could imitate some of the effects he got from his guitars.

And just to set the record straight, most of his stuff I really liked. His version of our national anthem I literally detest. Not only is it just a lot of screeching and scratching, but to me it's just plain disrespectful to distort our national anthem like that. And I feel the same way when some singer goes way off from the way it was written with all the wailing and double syllable words. They call it their version .... I call it disrespect. The National Anthem should be done as close to how it was written as an entertainer can do.

Oh well, just my opinion, and everybody has one. Just something to ponder! :)

regards,
jumpinjoe

Here’s a video a friend of mine, Ira Siegel and his band mates ( The Bacon Brothers) made which illustrates this perfectly.

Back