testtest

Officers Down in America

With your indulgence, I would like to start a thread honoring law enforcement officers killed in the line of duty. After 42 years as a LEO at various levels, it distresses me that the national media rarely focuses on the deaths of these committed public servants. Perhaps we can raise public awareness in a small way. I will begin below with a deputy sheriff killed in Texas this past weekend followed by the officer killed in mmedge's AOR in New Mexico
I too share your thoughts in my 38 year career I buried ten very good men who were very well trained and still came up on the wrong side of the incident. This does not count the numerous funerals I attended for LEO’s I did not know. The hard reality of this job is that even if you do everything right you can still end up losing the encounter. There is rarely a day that go’s by that I don’t think about these men and their families. Looking into the faces of their children as the flag was handed to the family will break any man’s composure. Every one of these men knew the potential dangers of the profession and accepted that reality. We all trained very aggressively to always prevail in deadly force encounters but unfortunately that is not enough guarantee to ensure going home after each shift. Officer deaths are becoming the norm these days with a large portion of society who finds that acceptable and with callousness. I firmly believe that with all the defunding of Police budgets and the current attitude toward Law Enforcement Personnel recruitment levels have suffered drastically. My formal agency is experiencing this and it is causing even more dangers as Officers are forced to do more with less and work overtime hours to maintain standards. To those of you reading this who are still on the job may the armor of God be with you. To the families of the fallen I hope that in some small way you have found peace with such a monumental loss. Having retired in 2018 I’m thankful that I made through a long career but in the back of my mind there lies the question why them and not me. That question will always haunt retired LEO’S as well as Military personnel. Hayes Greener thank you for this post as it is well over due. Yes, Writing this opened up some very deep emotions and it gave me yet another opportunity to Honor them for their sacrifice and having the privilege to serve with such remarkable human beings. “Fortis Fortuna Juvat”…………….Matthew 5:9

Back