testtest

OHIO FIGHTS BACK

Annihilator

Emissary
Founding Member
Ohio governor sighed a bill allowing teachers to be armed, some in the media and this administration doesn’t believe this should happen, but our governor has stood up to protect our children

I hope the faculty is well trained and shoot very well! I've seen some of the local faculty of the schools my kids go to and my kids manage guns better! I've told the school administrator I had rather my kids have a gun than the current faculty. There are only 2 faculty members that have been shooting for a long time and are a good shot! Several teachers were doing the CC class when I was and was having a very difficult time with the mag and feeding/ejecting issues. Very slow at fixing the issues. Stove piping, fte, ftf and other slide issues.

Personally, I think teachers have enough to do. Teaching is more than a full time job and having to put the time and expense in to be a competent shooter is asking a lot. Did I mention that I was shooting next to two of my local cops last week and they literally couldn’t hit the bridge side of a barn. That’s me on the far right they were sharing the middle target God help little Timmy and Suzy!
63ED6BC7-FD81-4BA6-A844-C6368BF6F9EB.jpeg

At least the 1 on the far left was doing a decent job?
Maybe that was one of the students. There needs to be a lot of good competent training for sure. Part of saying teachers have firearms could be like the sign that says armed guard three nights a week. You guess which nights.There are going to be a number of teachers that wont have any interest and there will be some that are quite competent. But they should have the option.

I agree. If they want to do it, fine, but they shouldn’t feel pressured.
It would definitely do no one any good to pressure someone to carry a gun so I’m sure that’s not happening, those that do accept this responsibility should be offered intense training and support.
Kudos to the Governor for this, that being said a resource officer in schools
“In my opinion” is the best route to take.

I agree. If they want to do it, fine, but they shouldn’t feel pressured.
i would imagine that there would be/could be push back from some in the school. but hey, you know, custodians as well can be armed, as they have more access to just about every nook and cranny in the typical school building and on the grounds.

a teacher would be "somewhat" limited in his/her movements, ensuring that his/her classroom is protected.

Like everything the government is involved in, paying pros is very unlikely to happen for budgetary reasons. So if the option is arm teachers or keep things as they are which one do you pick ?
one other avenue to consider, is retired cops. they get a pension, this would be an ideal job during the school year. also too, since they are on a pension, SS, and get Medicare/supplemental health coverages, (like i do for example), no need to offer anything more than workman's comp.

rather than to say, have a non-retired police officers, at say double the going hourly rate they get paid, for this "special duty"???

Personally, I think teachers have enough to do. Teaching is more than a full time job and having to put the time and expense in to be a competent shooter is asking a lot. Did I mention that I was shooting next to two of my local cops last week and they literally couldn’t hit the bridge side of a barn. That’s me on the far right they were sharing the middle target God help little Timmy and Suzy!View attachment 28549
I am all for the "Shield" program that the NRA suggested after Sandy Hook. I would not mind volunteering my time after retirement to keep the school safe, even if I am nothing more than a bullet sponge.

The way they churn out big city teachers these days, it’s unlikely to become a national standard, but at least there’s a sensible plan being applied.

More urban gunfire occurs outdoors between the territorial mutual lawless with the random school revenge attack is very rare and not as prevalent, that’s some of the opposing reasoning but hardly the point. Some lib teachers are coming about and fear for their own safety just coming and going to school. Its laughable but some schools once advocated for throwing objects at a crazed active shooter and even keeping a bucket full of rocks at ready by the door for the occasion.

It’s a good start to have a classroom teacher carry as they have full knowledge of the floor plan, safety plan, as well as known behavioral problem students, present and former. Same applies to a school employee not necessarily a classroom teacher. Some sort of deputizing would be appropriate along with training and added compensation. Like the FAA did for pilots but w/o additional pay.

I’m sure the NEA will be an opposing voice. There will be feeble bellyachers among the faculty too. Lets see if they all can get on board and for starters - just keep the the outside doors locked like is says to do in the rule book.

I am all for the "Shield" program that the NRA suggested after Sandy Hook. I would not mind volunteering my time after retirement to keep the school safe, even if I am nothing more than a bullet sponge.
I agree. Parents want involvement, here it is. No one should be forced to take defense classes but it is available to those who want to take it. Defense is more than shooting and stopping bullets. Armed teachers are one more tool.

And as an after thought lets make the schools safer by making it a lot harder to enter well before a teacher of guard is needed. Its beyond unconscionable that certain people are more interested in trying to take guns away from law abiding citizens and actually against any type of hardening our schools. I wonder if any of the people upset about the SCOUTUS ruling and yelling that its easier for anyone to carry a gun now has a clue that criminals were carrying them whenever they wanted to. Its just now they might want to think about running into someone who is not only armed but better trained. Years ago a wealthy friend bought a home in Naples Florida.. When he applied for his concealed weapons permit the police chief told him until the permit was final to just wear a fanny pack. When my friend asked why, the response was if a bad guy has to think twice about there being a gun in it chances are they are not going to bother you.

It’s worked just fine in Florida for several years now. It’s just like the open carry hysteria. Media and left claims blood on the streets, reality shows the exact opposite.
Florida's Guardian program requires 120 hours of firearms training, including precision pistol shooting. Police academies generally provide 80 hours for recruit training. Many of the people who take the Guardian training cannot meet the marksmanship requirements.

Back