testtest

One from the Sheriff

Not exactly an "in depth" piece, but I agree with the practice of disciplined front sight focus, or at least referencing it up close. Some say you can't do it under the stress of a real gunfight. All I can say is during a decent amount of realistic scenario force on force training, I was able to focus on the front sight to good effect. But it takes discipline, which requires practice. It won't come naturally.

Of course, with the rise of red dot optics, this may go by the wayside.

Not exactly an "in depth" piece, but I agree with the practice of disciplined front sight focus, or at least referencing it up close. Some say you can't do it under the stress of a real gunfight. All I can say is during a decent amount of realistic scenario force on force training, I was able to focus on the front sight to good effect. But it takes discipline, which requires practice. It won't come naturally.

Of course, with the rise of red dot optics, this may go by the wayside.
Well the key is repetition and muscle memory. When the gun comes up to the right spot EVERY time without you ever even thinking about it you won half the battle right there. As for focus, it's really almost the same principle as the red dot. When the blade is in front of your eyeball and both your eyes are open, instinctually you will put the blade on the target. In theory anyway. It's another reason why we practice our draw from holster to target with a timer. You know, more John Wick wannabe BS. ;)

I like a plain black rear sight and am partial to a green front sight, or a gold bead. Those two seem to be real good for my eyes.

And I do like laser cartridges for days like today when the roads are all snow covered ice from yesterday's rain then snow. I can get some type of practice in while hanging out in front of the fireplace.

I like a plain black rear sight and am partial to a green front sight, or a gold bead. Those two seem to be real good for my eyes.

And I do like laser cartridges for days like today when the roads are all snow covered ice from yesterday's rain then snow. I can get some type of practice in while hanging out in front of the fireplace.
Yeah, that would be nice. Kinda snowed in here and unless I want to freeze there really isn't anything for me to do. My wife's friend recently moved back home from Montana. Currently we are in possession of most of her stuff while she is looking for a house to buy/rent. This includes her guns. Some of which are in need of a little attention. I spent a few hours yesterday touching up the bluing on her S&W .357. Spent a few hours driving my wife nuts with a Les Paul through a Vox AC-10. Now I get the whole day today to try to find something to do. Day drinking is likely.

Yeah, that would be nice. Kinda snowed in here and unless I want to freeze there really isn't anything for me to do. My wife's friend recently moved back home from Montana. Currently we are in possession of most of her stuff while she is looking for a house to buy/rent. This includes her guns. Some of which are in need of a little attention. I spent a few hours yesterday touching up the bluing on her S&W .357. Spent a few hours driving my wife nuts with a Les Paul through a Vox AC-10. Now I get the whole day today to try to find something to do. Day drinking is likely.
Day drinking works. I have listened to some real sweet riffs fueled by day drinking.

Day drinking works. I have listened to some real sweet riffs fueled by day drinking.
Maybe I'll have a few martinis and bone up on my Primus.

K3VlbZu.jpg

I have a Kimber Pro Carry II that I blacked out the rear sights with a Sharpie. The problem with that though is the Sharpie dries shiny and I was distracted by the two reflective black holes staring back at me!

Here’s one I definitely like…
Discusses quick use of the Front sight, leveling the pistol vs “aiming” and the merits of a bold front sight only such as old fashioned gold bead.
Thanks TW for taking over and posting links from the Sheriff, as I don't have anything anymore to do with the NRA, good article, on my Ruger LCP pistol I painted the front site orange to make it easier for me to locate.

I fully agree with the need for a bold front sight. However, I do not believe that blacking-out a rear sight is the best solution for all shooters. I have hundreds of hours of training and thousands of rounds fired using 3-dot sights. While it might be good for new shooters to adopt blacked-out rear sights, I do not believe it is ideal for shooters who do not have the time to re-train, or the money to afford ammo at today's prices. My muscle memory and reflexes with duty guns are based on a 3-dot system, and I plan to stick with it.

I don't want to make it sound like I'm against blacked-out rear sights. My backup/pocket gun is a Ruger LCP Max with a tritium front sight and a blacked-out rear. The revolvers that I enjoy taking to the range almost always have a blacked-out rear, or plain gutter-sight, and a painted front. I enjoy all of these guns, and shoot them proficiently. I just feel more comfortable with my primary self-defense pistol, which is likely to only be used under extreme stress, having the sight system that I have the most training & experience using.

I fully agree with the need for a bold front sight. However, I do not believe that blacking-out a rear sight is the best solution for all shooters. I have hundreds of hours of training and thousands of rounds fired using 3-dot sights. While it might be good for new shooters to adopt blacked-out rear sights, I do not believe it is ideal for shooters who do not have the time to re-train, or the money to afford ammo at today's prices. My muscle memory and reflexes with duty guns are based on a 3-dot system, and I plan to stick with it.

I don't want to make it sound like I'm against blacked-out rear sights. My backup/pocket gun is a Ruger LCP Max with a tritium front sight and a blacked-out rear. The revolvers that I enjoy taking to the range almost always have a blacked-out rear, or plain gutter-sight, and a painted front. I enjoy all of these guns, and shoot them proficiently. I just feel more comfortable with my primary self-defense pistol, which is likely to only be used under extreme stress, having the sight system that I have the most training & experience using.
I think like everything else in life, there is more than one way to skin the proverbial cat. Use whatever works for you and just do it often enough to be proficient is my view.

Back