testtest

Out of curiosity

Annihilator

Emissary
Founding Member
I have been reading on here about some people were having some issues with there Springfield 1911’s getting hung up as the slide closes and catches on the disconnector. So I got out my RO Operator in 9mm and if I manually close the slide slow, as soon as it comes in contact with the disconnector it hangs up there, also I noticed the slide closes slower then expected during recoil. So, I emailed Springfield and asked what weight recoil spring this gun uses, and the reply was a 9#.
So I got my Kimber Custom II duel tone pistol out also in 9mm and tried it. It worked fine, the Kimber uses a 12# spring, so I thought I would try something, I ordered 12# recoil spring from Midway USA, replaced the spring in my RO, and bingo, issue is gone, my RO works good no, now more issues. This may help others who have been having this issue, I just don’t think the factory 9# spring has enough force. I just did this out of curiosity.

I have been reading on here about some people were having some issues with there Springfield 1911’s getting hung up as the slide closes and catches on the disconnector. So I got out my RO Operator in 9mm and if I manually close the slide slow, as soon as it comes in contact with the disconnector it hangs up there, also I noticed the slide closes slower then expected during recoil. So, I emailed Springfield and asked what weight recoil spring this gun uses, and the reply was a 9#.
So I got my Kimber Custom II duel tone pistol out also in 9mm and tried it. It worked fine, the Kimber uses a 12# spring, so I thought I would try something, I ordered 12# recoil spring from Midway USA, replaced the spring in my RO, and bingo, issue is gone, my RO works good no, now more issues. This may help others who have been having this issue, I just don’t think the factory 9# spring has enough force. I just did this out of curiosity.
Thanks for passing on info Anni, Good thoughts and experience. Are you sure original 9 pounder recoil spring wasn't just getting worn out?

Here's an interesting Highroad thread about worn recoil springs effects;

Thanks for passing on info Anni, Good thoughts and experience. Are you sure original 9 pounder recoil spring wasn't just getting worn out?

Here's an interesting Highroad thread about worn recoil springs effects;

That was a good read Bob - thanx for posting !
I esp liked the answer to replace the spring “when the light on your Smart Gun comes on saying “check gun” “ or whatever that was . :)

I don’t have an answer obviously (esp being somewhat new to 1911s; the Army had just gone to the M9 a few yrs before I got in). But I like the link Bob provided...
I’d like ask a sidebar ques: Does Spgfld use any proprietary parts that other manufacturers don’t? Or anything that’s perhaps “other than standard” tolerances ?

If it was not having problems except every now and then, I would have lubed it up and ran it. I have a low dollar gun that was known for having problems back when I bought it. Well I bought it shortly after it came out, so there were not a ton of complaints then. but in the year after it came out there was. I would have a problem almost every mag. I did not try different ammo or anything, I just kept shooting it. I put about a thousand rounds through it and it was much better. Oh and I kept the mag loaded at all times because the spring was so strong. Now all these years later, I can not remember the last time it had a failure. When my wife decided to get a edc, we took her shield and a few other toys to the range, and I cleared her shield a couple different times. She was a little concerned and I said, don't be, and told her to keep shooting it, it will break in.
This is something I do not think is stressed enough to new gun owners, you need to shoot it and shoot it a lot. Not only to be able to hit things, but to get comfortable with clearing it and so it gets good and dependable. Not one gun I have ever owned was what I would call dependable until it had almost 1.000 rounds through it. Maybe I just have bad luck with guns, idk, but that seems to be a given that I am going to gave to shoot it a good bit before it is something I would trust my life with.

Last edited:
If it was not having problems except every now and then, I would have lubed it up and ran it. I have a low dollar gun that was known for having problems back when I bought it. Well I bought it shortly after it came out, so there were not a ton of complaints then. but in the year after it came out there was. I would have a problem almost every mag. I did not try different ammo or anything, I just kept shooting it. I put about a thousand rounds through it and it was much better. Oh and I kept the mag loaded at all times because the spring was so strong. Now all these years later, I can not remember the last time it had a failure. When my wife decided to get a edc, we took her shield and a few other toys to the range, and I cleared her shield a couple different times. She was a little concerned and I said, don't be, and told her to keep shooting it, it will break in.
This is something I do not think is stressed enough to new gun owners, you need to shoot it and shoot it a lot. Not only to be able to hit things, but to get comfortable with clearing it and so it gets good and dependable. Not one gun I have ever owned was what I would call dependable until it had almost 1.000 rounds through it. Maybe I just have bad luck with guns, idk, but that seems to be a given that I am going to gave to shoot it a good bit before it is something I would trust my life with.
Not new to 1911’s here, been shooting them for 30+ years, I was just basically trying something, I haven’t had really any issues with this gun, but I have noticed the slide runs slow going back into battery, with the 12# spring, that doesn't happen. Just an experiment on my part after reading how some others were having this issue, I think the 9# spring isn’t quite strong enough especially on a gun that’s not completely broken in yet.

I agree that break in and skill improvement with as much practice as possible is good policy.

I disagree however that anyone should accept as "normal" for a piece, especially a high end piece from a reputable company to need "exercise" to become reliable/malfunction free!! And, it should be unacceptable PR to any manufacturer.

What? I must have X number of rounds thru a new piece before it can be relied upon for it to protect myself and others??

I'm going to give an initial trial to any new acquisition, with original equipment and with the recommended ammo and if that sucker does not perform, I refuse to blow $$ rounds thru it hoping that it will........it's going back to the mfg. pronto!

I agree that break in and skill improvement with as much practice as possible is good policy.

I disagree however that anyone should accept as "normal" for a piece, especially a high end piece from a reputable company to need "exercise" to become reliable/malfunction free!! And, it should be unacceptable PR to any manufacturer.

What? I must have X number of rounds thru a new piece before it can be relied upon for it to protect myself and others??

I'm going to give an initial trial to any new acquisition, with original equipment and with the recommended ammo and if that sucker does not perform, I refuse to blow $$ rounds thru it hoping that it will........it's going back to the mfg. pronto!
I agree it should work. It is just my experience and feeling that once I have gotten it broken in, the failures seem to work themselves out and that is what makes it feel more reliable to me. If I have put a 1,000 rounds through a fire arm, I pretty much know I am not going to have any issues in a day at the range. Right now with only 100 rounds through my wife's shield, I would almost bet it will have a failure next time to the range. But I expect it will have less failures then the time before. I think it had 3 the first time to the range with it. When it gets broken in and I can go to the range with it and not have any failures, my confidence in it goes up naturally.
When you are working with close tolerances in steel, and even heat expansion it is kind of the nature of the beast when it comes to breaking things in. I probably would not jump in a car with 3 miles on it and head off on a 3,000 mile trip either, but that is just me.

Wolff Gunsprings call for a 14 pound recoil spring for 9mm and .38Super.
9 pound is not nearly strong enough-must be compensating for low power rounds.

Back