testtest

Perfecting off hand shooting.

Sld1959

Hellcat
One of my weaknesses shooting handguns, not so much rifle , is off handed shooting. I consider myself ok, but not expert by any means.

The odd thing about this is, I am left handed and left eye dominant, BUT, I was taught shooting, and all sports, right handed, and to this day that is what feels natural. So my off hand is my natural dominant one, which feels awkward. The odd man out was using a blade, have always used a knife naturally left handed.

Shooting right handed with left eye dominance meant the sights of my fire arms were always adjusted quite oddly for others. And often I found myself closing my left eye for longer shots while handgun hunting. And it also was a big detriment to shooting with my left hand making awkward adjustments.

So, this downtime I have worked hard with my handguns and laser trainer cartridges. The goal was to find a compromise sight system. Which I have pretty much accomplished. It's starting to get natural feeling with both hands for both pistols and revolvers with both eyes opened. Biggest change is head angle when shooting right handed to use my natural eye dominance.

Probably the biggest upgrade is my Da revolver shooting with left hand, that was always the weakest skillset.

One of my weaknesses shooting handguns, not so much rifle , is off handed shooting. I consider myself ok, but not expert by any means.

The odd thing about this is, I am left handed and left eye dominant, BUT, I was taught shooting, and all sports, right handed, and to this day that is what feels natural. So my off hand is my natural dominant one, which feels awkward. The odd man out was using a blade, have always used a knife naturally left handed.

Shooting right handed with left eye dominance meant the sights of my fire arms were always adjusted quite oddly for others. And often I found myself closing my left eye for longer shots while handgun hunting. And it also was a big detriment to shooting with my left hand making awkward adjustments.

So, this downtime I have worked hard with my handguns and laser trainer cartridges. The goal was to find a compromise sight system. Which I have pretty much accomplished. It's starting to get natural feeling with both hands for both pistols and revolvers with both eyes opened. Biggest change is head angle when shooting right handed to use my natural eye dominance.

Probably the biggest upgrade is my Da revolver shooting with left hand, that was always the weakest skillset.

I am ambidextrous but I naturally do different things from different sides. I kick, bat and box southpaw. I write, play guitar and like to shoot pistols right handed. I am left eye dominant. My solution was to shoot with both eyes open. I shoot rifles and shotguns with equal ease from either side. I shoot a handgun pretty good left handed, but I am more comfortable right handed.

One of the reasons I like revolvers is, for some reason, I tend to shoot them quite well weak handed; they point naturally.

This is why I often have an Airweight J-frame in my left pocket as a BUG.

I don't think people, even people who are fairly serious about drilling carry skills, practice secondary/”weak” hand shooting drills enough—yours truly included, I just realized.

Messaging my training partner right now that our next session should concentrate on weak hand skills.

One of the reasons I like revolvers is, for some reason, I tend to shoot them quite well weak handed; they point naturally.

This is why I often have an Airweight J-frame in my left pocket as a BUG.

I don't think people, even people who are fairly serious about drilling carry skills, practice secondary/”weak” hand shooting drills enough—yours truly included, I just realized.

Messaging my training partner right now that our next session should concentrate on weak hand skills.
I am more of a revolver guy too. My constant companion is a Taurus m380, which is a .380 revolver that is about the same size as the old SW Terrior, about 75% the size of a jframe. It is such a sweet little carry and shooter.

I have been carrying it in my left hip pocket these days. And when I am carrying the 1911 it is either a backup or a weapon for my wife if she is not carrying.

Back