testtest

Plunk or not to Plunk

SMSgtRod

Professional
Founding Member
When you have your rounds all made up do you plunk them in the chamber or cylinder
for the acceptance check? Or do you use a Cartridge Gage for the final test?

Guess some firearms don't easily lend themselves to the Plunk Test.

Do you maybe have a different acceptance test or not do a check at all.

I'd like to know and maybe some others would too.

Whenever I get bullets from a new provider, or try a new projectile, I make up a test round with a deprimed case. I seat in increments and plunk each barrel, finding the maximum C.O.L. for each barrel. Then I determine final seating depth based on the shortest barrel leade for the caliber. If I can find a similar profile bullet I‘ll factor that in to the equation.

Case in point...I just did this yesterday. New order of bullets from Everglades Ammo arrived a day early. I ordered their 124 gr JHP RN V2 for 9mm. So plunk time. It’s the same physical length as a Hornady XTP, with with a FMJ round nose profile, versus the sharp taper of the XTP. Longest C.O.L. for inert round, plunk test was 1.125“. Hornady XTP seats to 1.095”, exactly the C.O.L. of Hornady Critical Defense ammo. I went with 1.110” for the JHP RN. Testing to follow...4 load ladder.

Whenever I get bullets from a new provider, or try a new projectile, I make up a test round with a deprimed case. I seat in increments and plunk each barrel, finding the maximum C.O.L. for each barrel. Then I determine final seating depth based on the shortest barrel leade for the caliber. If I can find a similar profile bullet I‘ll factor that in to the equation.

Case in point...I just did this yesterday. New order of bullets from Everglades Ammo arrived a day early. I ordered their 124 gr JHP RN V2 for 9mm. So plunk time. It’s the same physical length as a Hornady XTP, with with a FMJ round nose profile, versus the sharp taper of the XTP. Longest C.O.L. for inert round, plunk test was 1.125“. Hornady XTP seats to 1.095”, exactly the C.O.L. of Hornady Critical Defense ammo. I went with 1.110” for the JHP RN. Testing to follow...4 load ladder.
Have you ever had one test longer than mag length?

I do both tests. In fact it was a good idea because the new Everglades 230gr FMJ's I bought wouldn't pass the plunk or gauge at 1.260".

Back