testtest

Pmag VS Hexmag

Talyn

SAINT
Founding Member
When someone mentions “must-have magazines” for the AR platform, many shooters immediately think of Pmag Vs Hexmag.

Pmag VS Hexmag

1646344862320.png

For me it's almost all gen 2 P mags. I have about 15 Amend 2 mags, but that's out of 20 because 5 of them wouldn't drop out of the mag well by themselves. They all functioned fine.

I find it interesting that in the "Bolt Catch Issues" section of the article, they mention that if the gun's bolt-catch fails to operate properly, instead of simply checking other mags, their first-line troubleshooting is to check the critical dimensions of the lower receiver:

Pmag VS Hexmag said:
If you experience this issue, make sure your lower is within spec, and your bolt catch is installed correctly and not worn down. It’s best to identify these two common issues with your rifle, before attempting to diagnose problems with your magazines.

How many of us have a USGI magwell gauge? How many have a stash of various known-good mags to test magwell sizing?

- video should start at ~8:10.

And the critical dimensions of the mag-catch assembly and its relationship in/with the lower....how does the average-Joe/Jane measure that?

How many "gunsmiths" have a full set of the critical gauges that's necessary to verify a lower is in-spec according to the TDP?

Very much more likely, the problem is with that magazine - or a specific tolerance issue with that particular make/model of magazine and your unique (i.e. unique serial number) lower. The next suspect is the bolt catch and its hardware, and potentially the magazine catch, but I'd much rather do some quick troubleshooting with a few known-good magazines. first, rather than to pursue any aspect of the lower.

Back