testtest

Possibly 3 years per cartridge?

Sld1959

Hellcat

Know the laws for international travel destinations. Life changing mistake. Way I read it on several sites reading the official government responce here is 12 years mandatory period by the judge he has no discretion. Thst equals about 3 years per cartridge he had in his suitcase.

Last edited:
He probably used the baggage, or some part of such, during a previous hunting trip. I've failed to remove unused or unwanted articles hidden away in luggage right away. Mundane things, yes; ammunition, no. Irregardless of intent, this is indeed a costly lesson learned.

Know the laws for international travel destinations. Life changing mistake. Way I read it on several sites reading the official government responce here is 12 years mandatory period by the judge he has no discretion. Thst equals about 3 years per cartridge he had in his suitcase.
If I understood what I read correctly, the law requiring mandatory jail time was just implemented in January. It used to be that in a case as this, the US tourist would/could typically just pay a substantial fine and go on home. After the new law, that no longer applies.

I saw a short interview of the guy involved today and he was talking about missing his son's graduation, not be able to teach him to shave, and several other 'growing up' milestones. That would be pretty hard to take under any circumstances, much less an accident.

Sometimes, stupid hurts.

I do not understand how you “accidentally” get ammo in your luggage.
It happens more often than most realize. Many hunters who travel across country for guided hunts will sometimes miss a couple loose rounds when unpacking their luggage after arriving back home. Then when packing for another trip overlook it by just putting stuff in and not looking for anything to remove.

I've been on only one guided hunt in my entire life and have never missed any loose ammo, but personally know two friends who have found loose ammo in the luggage they last used to travel. These were both before 9/11 and the infraction was not the concern it is today. Nevertheless, it can and does happen.

BTW, many others have found overlooked tooth brushes, hair brushes/combs, and even dirty socks among other things. Some things far more detrimental to the traveler than others ... depending on who finds it when unpacking back at home. Yeh, it can happen.

It’s an oversight. 4 rounds. Bags have zippers we dont always unpack or forget.
Y’all are being armchair quarterbacks even though every member on here who goes to the gun range and has ammo about in bags.

I took a bag to Italy and had a dozen 9mm rounds in it. Unknown to me.
Bag was one I used prob 5 years before on a trip to the range and hadn't used in a while. Small bag.
Well, rounds slipped out of a bulk box and under the cardboard bottom of the bag. The gym type bags that have the semi rigid bottom insert.
Took it on a trip overseas.
US customs on departure caught it.
Lengthy interview.
Allowed to board the flight
German police detained me upon arrival with questions from US Customs.
Italian Police detained me for same questions.
Repeat process upon departure.
No clue they were in there.

If it was your dad that had 4 hunting rounds in a bag and faced the same charges, each and everyone of you would say BS.

Well, that wasn't the movie about Billy Hayes I remember! LOL!

I think the one I saw was called "Midnight Express"!
yes, that movie, "The Cable Guy", was where Jim Carey was a......cable tv installer, and avid watcher of movies, tv shows, etc. he'd often make up stories

that particular scene was funny, at least to me, and right away when i read THIS story, made me think of the Turkish prison scene.

It happens more often than most realize. Many hunters who travel across country for guided hunts will sometimes miss a couple loose rounds when unpacking their luggage after arriving back home. Then when packing for another trip overlook it by just putting stuff in and not looking for anything to remove.

I've been on only one guided hunt in my entire life and have never missed any loose ammo, but personally know two friends who have found loose ammo in the luggage they last used to travel. These were both before 9/11 and the infraction was not the concern it is today. Nevertheless, it can and does happen.

BTW, many others have found overlooked tooth brushes, hair brushes/combs, and even dirty socks among other things. Some things far more detrimental to the traveler than others ... depending on who finds it when unpacking back at home. Yeh, it can happen.
i had to pack a bag all my trucking life, if not for an over night stay, then a week, or a month away from home.

i know darned well, i empties the bag out each time.

my kids would leave "trinkets" like small toys in my bag, usually at the bottom, and i'd see them as i packed.

it was to them, me taking them (the kids) with me.

i cannot tell you what my wife would leave in my bag.....

so this is on that guy, for NOT clearing his bag when getting home, he even mentioned in an interview, he learnt his lesson...kinda late now.

If I understood what I read correctly, the law requiring mandatory jail time was just implemented in January. It used to be that in a case as this, the US tourist would/could typically just pay a substantial fine and go on home. After the new law, that no longer applies.

I saw a short interview of the guy involved today and he was talking about missing his son's graduation, not be able to teach him to shave, and several other 'growing up' milestones. That would be pretty hard to take under any circumstances, much less an accident.
In Sept of 2023 our government issues a warning about this very thing because it had occured in several cases, I cannot remember how many without going back and looking.

It was known and publicized, which of course does not stop an accident. But that is my entire point, one is leaving the United States and subject to other laws, one better be damn careful that they know what the
ose laws may be and how they may affect them, especially ones the government gives public warning to all potential travelers about.

Last edited:
It can happen fairly easily.

My cousin was released from prison and as his father had passed while he was in, he inherited his house. Before he could go in he had to have a friend go in and get all his dads guns out. There were a lot. A bunch of sequentially numbered Winchester lever actions, assorted hunting rifles and a few handguns. Now my cousin’s sister was a local probation/ parole officer. So after the guns and ammo are removed and sent to a place to be sold my cousin occupies the house. Clearly the sister is upset that he got the house and immediately initiates a police search. In one of the old man’s dresser drawers a single 30-06 cartridge is discovered rolling around under the socks and underwear. My cousin is immediately revoked and sent back to prison. And his sister gets the house.

True story.

Back