testtest

powerful pain

Old_Me

Ronin
back in November of 2010, in fact, the 11th, i had an incredible severe pain, over my left ear, about the size of one's fist. it was so bad, i must have taken at least 10 Tylenols, that's the pain meds my doctors want me to take, due to high BP.

anyway, the pain did not stop.. a few hours later, (the next morning when i woke up), i was slurring my speech, and the left side of my face was going numb.

a few hours later, the left side of my face, drooped down.

a quick call to the doctor and a visit, he deemed it as "Bell's Palsy"....not a stroke.

but Bell's Palsy nearly mirrors a stroke, in the drooping face, slurred speech..

no known reason why one gets it. but what basically happens much like carpal tunnel..?? the nerves of the face go thru a "tunnel", on each side.....if that tunnel gets inflamed for whatever reason..?? it clamps shut in the facial nerves, on that side.

it lasted all of about till after January of 2011.

nearly 1 year later, in November 1, of 2011..??

the right side hit me.......same thing, same symptoms....only this time, i still have remnants of that episode.

both times, antibiotics were prescribed as well as some other med, i cannot recall.

right now, i am getting a massive pain on my left side....it is powerful. we just ate dinner, and i had to take my regular meds, so i cannot take anything just yet.

but i will be taking extra strength Excedrin. screw that Tylenol BS.

in the video, you can see the nerve around the ear area.......that's where this tunnel is and the headache hits hard.

imma gonna go watch tv, then about 6:30, that that Excedrin, hopefully this pain will go away.

funny to (in the rhetorical way), this only happens in cold weather like it has been all day, once the heat comes, this is not an issue, till winter comes....just not in deep winter, so this attack can vary during the cold season. usually a minor pain, and it goes away.

g'night

back in November of 2010, in fact, the 11th, i had an incredible severe pain, over my left ear, about the size of one's fist. it was so bad, i must have taken at least 10 Tylenols, that's the pain meds my doctors want me to take, due to high BP.

anyway, the pain did not stop.. a few hours later, (the next morning when i woke up), i was slurring my speech, and the left side of my face was going numb.

a quick call to the doctor and a visit, he deemed it as "Bell's Palsy"....not a stroke.

but Bell's Palsy nearly mirrors a stroke, in the drooping face, slurred speech..

no known reason why one gets it. but what basically happens much like carpal tunnel..?? the nerves of the face go thru a "tunnel", on each side.....if that tunnel gets inflamed for whatever reason..?? it clamps shut in the facial nerves, on that side.

the right side hit me.......same thing, same symptoms....only this time, i still have remnants of that episode.

both times, antibiotics were prescribed as well as some other med, i cannot recall.

right now, i am getting a massive pain on my left side....it is powerful. we just ate dinner, and i had to take my regular meds, so i cannot take anything just yet.

in the video, you can see the nerve around the ear area.......that's where this tunnel is and the headache hits hard.

imma gonna go watch tv, then about 6:30, that that Excedrin, hopefully this pain will go away.

funny to (in the rhetorical way), this only happens in cold weather like it has been all day, once the heat comes, this is not an issue, till winter comes....just not in deep winter, so this attack can vary during the cold season. usually a minor pain, and it goes away.

g'night
Hey you old codger ... take care of yourself. And keep us informed/up to date! You've never been one with a lack for words ... so don't start now!!!

g'night
Oh my! It totally sucks getting old, I get it! I hope and pray that this passes quickly for you. Take it easy and get some sleep. Hopefully things will be better for you in the new day. Please keep us posted.

I had bell's palsey 3 times. 1st time was on Thanksgiving day '85 (20yo) that only caused issues on my right side of the face, 2nd time was in '98 (this time, left side of face) and 3rd ('12) was on the right side again. No pain, but the side it affected was numb. !st time ('85) the dr. said I probably won't have it happen again? 2nd and 3rd I didn't go to the doc as I knew what it was. My SIL had it happen to her also, but caused her pain. Get to feeling better as my episodes lasted months.

A few decades ago during our long Florida hot summer, one day at lunch I noticed that on my left half of face was numb and felt strange.
Anyways I went back to work afterwards and thought nothing of it.
The next morning the left side of my face was numb and if I touched that area there was much pain. My left eyelid barely moved and my mouth on left side barely moved.
I went to Doctor and he stated I had Bells Palsey. Up to that time, I've never heard of such a thing.
He just said, take aspirin and it should go away in time. Thanks Doc for the big nothing burger.

Then my friends started telling me about familia and friends who had Bells Palsy and what they went through.
I was recommended bu them that since those nerves were damaged or killed start using a vibrator and ignore the added pain and you will grow new nerves back and could fully recover
Others told me that some of them just did nothing except take pain killers and all partially recovered.

If I remember correctly, after using a vibrator on the left side of my face for about 1 week, things started to turn around and about 1 month later I recovered over 95% back to normal.
Fast forward, a few decades, I've never had a relapse.

I had bell's palsey 3 times. 1st time was on Thanksgiving day '85 (20yo) that only caused issues on my right side of the face, 2nd time was in '98 (this time, left side of face) and 3rd ('12) was on the right side again. No pain, but the side it affected was numb. !st time ('85) the dr. said I probably won't have it happen again? 2nd and 3rd I didn't go to the doc as I knew what it was. My SIL had it happen to her also, but caused her pain. Get to feeling better as my episodes lasted months.
well, i had an eventful night..even with 2 Extra Strength Excedrin's, i took earlier... i just dared not take anymore for the night.

i went to bed at 9 PM, but actually did not get much sleep, then as many of you know, i get up at 1:30 AM, to go pick up my family member at her job, when she gets out, which is usually at 2- 2:20...however, it was a late night, and at 3:30, got the text to get her.

wife knew of course i was in pain, but i did not want to have her wake up the parents....my daughters woulda ran over, like the first time, and second time......daughters do that...it's like the "Town Crier, everyone runs over"

i made it ok, actually as creatures of habit, all seemed normal driving to and from...

as i was laying in bed, i could feel my upper lip going "numb", and i was swearing up a storm, in silence.

BUT........no further pain, no droopy face..., no extra loud hearing (painful when your hearing gets amplified), and no eye staying open..!!!!...and BRIGHT LIGHTS (all lights get extremely bright to the paralyzed eye)

thing is, it is not age specific, as @TEXASforLIFE said he got it in his 20's..

and when you get full blown Bell's, you have to watch out for drinking and eating, as your mouth does not shut, you cannot feel chewing..you very often mash down on your lower lip, the inside of your cheek, and your tongue......

even when you chew SLOWLY. you have to drink using a straw, in fact, all these years now..?? i cannot drink out of a can or bottle, i have to use a straw for those.

when i got home from my errand, i started making our breakfast, a 1.50 lbs slab of ham, eggs, and hashbrowns, and Gods elixir, COFFEE.

i had not had this much of a close call, with this shite, this was really worrisome.

i also this morning, went and bought Ibuprofen, CVS brand, as this is what is used for inflammation, which is what causes Palsy.

to @Lexie__M , sadly, there is no known cure, or exact meds for this, my doctor put me on antibiotics and now i recall, a steroid, i just can't recall the name....in the end...?? only TIME makes it go away, maybe even a few hot compresses which is what i did last night....( that kept the wife busy helping me)

@TEXASforLIFE ....i had done some reading when i first got this in 2010.....

if you get it once, and never comes back? the chances of it coming back are slim to none.

but get it just 1 more time...?? (i read with in a 1- to - 2 year period..???)

we are gonna get it again, and again.

BUT, at least i know how to prepare, the intense pain (like the size of a fist) over the affected side around the ear.??

means, get the pain meds ASAP, and hopefully a fresh bottle of 'em...

thanks all, for the good/well wishes.......this is some shite, you do not wish on no one, not even those you have issues with, or they with you.

strange like i said, this usually happens in deep, frigid cold winter, not this "late"

one last thing, one never knows, what others know, especially about Bell's Palsy, but over the years, what surprised the hell outta me..??

how many have had it, or family members had it, and fully DO KNOW

thanks all....

PS..YES....i took naps more than usual, all day...!!!!!!!!!!

I've often why they're called "Golden years" as well Recusant. Seems to me I've got silver hair and lead in my ass. Nothin' 'golden' about it!!!
How true!

1712521204342.png

As you mentioned about not closing or being able to keep your mouth shut is exactly what happened to me the 1st time. The only way to drink was to close the side affected with the help of my hand and keep food in my mouth the same way. Probably did better when I was drunk 🤫 :unsure::sleep:. Slurred speech without the help of my hand as not being able to control 1 side of my mouth and the weird eye happening also. 1 eye doesn't open as far as the other due to bell's. Egor looks better than I:ROFLMAO::LOL::LOL:

As you mentioned about not closing or being able to keep your mouth shut is exactly what happened to me the 1st time. The only way to drink was to close the side affected with the help of my hand and keep food in my mouth the same way. Probably did better when I was drunk 🤫 :unsure::sleep:. Slurred speech without the help of my hand as not being able to control 1 side of my mouth and the weird eye happening also. 1 eye doesn't open as far as the other due to bell's. Egor looks better than I:ROFLMAO::LOL::LOL:
yes, exactly, the lip does not "seal" around a soda, or beer bottle or soda pop can, so we get "the dribbles".....(since the lip is paralyzed)

and no one can say anything about dribbling, like a baby..!!!!!... :ROFLMAO:

the eye just stays open, 24/7, and we need OTC "artificial tears" to keep the eye lubed.

what a PITA to keep the eye moist, makes us realize what we take for granted, what our bodies can do on it's own.

Last edited:
Back