testtest

Precision or generic?

When it comes too brass selection do you go with the high dollar cases that keep your powder too a minimum or go generic for max. The separation of brands, not just calibers or go with the mix with the exception of +p cases. Pistol or rifle what do you look for? Starting a case, no lawyer needed for your brand specific wants. I haven't had enough variation for the need to exile any specific one. Many cases has come before me as the likings of Hornady, Speer, PMC, Winchester, Remington, Starline, Jager, Armscor and S&B.

I had similar issues, the biggest issue for me was the case rim wasn’t consistent, most were to thick to go under the extractor of my 1911, I used my micrometer and measured the thickness, almost every case was different, I had to measure them all, and reload the ones that were close to specs, last time I bought Starline brass.

I had similar issues, the biggest issue for me was the case rim wasn’t consistent, most were to thick to go under the extractor of my 1911, I used my micrometer and measured the thickness, almost every case was different, I had to measure them all, and reload the ones that were close to specs, last time I bought Starline brass.
I don't buy seconds on bullets or anything else because of the issues I've had. Seconds aren't a bargain if 60% or more are useless.
The Starline I feel are the next step down from seconds.
They are Chinese Floor Sweepings..... 🤮

Back in the early 70's when I began shooting a lot of competition, my wife and I were going through 12 - 15 thousand or more rounds per year of various calibers. Even more if counting .22 cal. So, I found a legitimate need to get into reloading. As well, many of my shooting friends claimed I could always obtain better accuracy with hand loads. Back in the day, I found that to be true in many instances, but as time and years has passed, it became obvious that factory loads (especially name brands) had come a long way in both consistency and accuracy so it became a much less satisfying hobby.

But back then as well as when I occasionally reload today, I always used the very best components (in my mind) that was available. Remember I'm talking about virtually 50+ years ago. The availability of components back then was sorely limited compared to today's options and choices.

But the real answer to the question is for almost all my rifle ammo back then and even mostly today, I use Norma brass exclusively, and only occasionally Federal or other. Typically various IMR powders, and Sierra and/or Hornady, along with some Barnes bullets once they were available to me. I've never been able to convince myself of enough major differences between most primers to concern me except where/if safety was a concern. Certainly a few are a little hotter than some others, but once the projectile leaves the case mouth, they have very little to no effect. And over the hundreds of thousands of rounds I've loaded, I've developed notes for varying loads appropriately based on the primer I used if necessary.

Handgun loading was about the same. I've shot probably another several ten thousands of rounds of 'Hunter's Pistol' silhouette and 'Smallbore Hunter's Pistol' silhouette back in the day. Almost always shot with a Thompson Center Contender in .38 spl/.357 mag with 10" barrel. Often loaded them with a .355 110gr bullet with a slightly tighter neck squeeze and found some really good results on really hot weather days or big shoot matches. During the cooler winter days usually went with .357/.358 125gr. Same barrel for both. Almost all competition cases for loading was "Midway" brass ordered and bought by the thousands, and I still have several hundred of those cases today.

Believe it or not we even experimented with pulling .22 mag bullets and trying different powders and charges in them. Primer was immaterial due to the rim priming. Remember we didn't have the options that are available today, but we still enjoyed it. In fact we, primarily the wife and I, traveled quite a bit following some of the matches back then. We also had a couple other couples who all traveled together to some of the matches. Had some really great times back then.

Wow! How times have changed! Back then there was no social media, very, very few personal computers, and never even heard of a video game or cell/smart phone. Think about how it will be in another 50 years or so. Shooting won't even be a manual activity, it'll all be done through mind control and time warping. Boy, some of us will be in real trouble then! :cool:

regards,
jumpinjoe

Back