testtest

Preparation: The Best Complement to Situational Awareness

Talyn

SAINT
Founding Member
Many people believe the first step to self-protection is purchasing a firearm. While it is important, buying a gun is a singular action and not the whole sum of personal protection. One of the most important steps you can take is learning about situational awareness and how to properly apply it.

The Best Complement to Situational Awareness

1642993988821.png

PRACTICAL SITUATIONAL AWARENESS

Situational Awareness: Scanning and Assessing Your Environment

Excellent stuff.

My core self-defense tenet is that I'd rather just not be there for the fight. In a fight, the other party always has a say in the outcome: by not being there for the fight at all, I avoid both that and the unpredictability that Lady Luck brings.

Towards the above, I'd also like to mention that quite a bit of the "Managing Unknown Contacts" work of Craig Douglas, Chuck Haggard, and Paul Sharp are circulating for-free via various posts on YouTube as well as with student AARs. It's worth the time to search these up and give them a look, to compliment the more, er.....academic, presentation that Pincus puts forth above.

Meh….
I’m not much impressed with these things; I rarely see much beyond common sense stuff. This one falls in the “it’s ok” category. Just mho.
I may have missed it but author failed to mention being prepared to quickly enter your car (vs fooling around with packages & stuff like that) and locking your car doors immediately once you are in.

From the first paragraph:
Situational awareness (SA) is defined as “the perception of environmental elements and events with respect to time or space, the comprehension of their meaning, and the projection of their future status.”
Whose definition? Appears to come largely from Wikipedia. I’ve often used Wiki for various things, but it has to be used carefully. The author is a consultant, brand ambassador for Propper, and runs a personal defense thing called No Other Choice.

Well, I’ve come to believe that SA is a mindset that mostly you either have or don’t have; not something that can be “taught” as a skill without that mindset being present (at least a germ of it).

But, refreshers and reminders now and again never hurt anybody:)

^ Interesting take, @TidalWave. (y)

Well, I’ve come to believe that SA is a mindset that mostly you either have or don’t have; not something that can be “taught” as a skill without that mindset being present (at least a germ of it).

I do differ with you in this outlook - I think it can be taught as well as reinforced.

But to do so, indeed - and here's where we align :) - that individual needs to at least be willing to entertain the mindset.

I've often found that folks are more receptive to discussing SA after seeing/reading about -or worse, experiencing- interpersonal violence.

Back