testtest

Preparation: The Best Complement to Situational Awareness

Talyn

SAINT
Founding Member
Many people believe the first step to self-protection is purchasing a firearm. While it is important, buying a gun is a singular action and not the whole sum of personal protection. One of the most important steps you can take is to learn about situational awareness and how to properly apply it. Situational awareness (SA) is defined as “the perception of environmental elements and events with respect to time or space, the comprehension of their meaning, and the projection of their future status.” Now you know how SA is defined, but do you understand how to apply it and what you can add to your self-defense needs that enhances its use? Many think SA is the use of intuition, but that is merely one element. Let’s explore a simple way to apply SA and see what tools can assist us.

1699243874504.png

Couple not using situational awareness, giving the bad guy an advantage.
Video

Many people believe the first step to self-protection is purchasing a firearm. While it is important, buying a gun is a singular action and not the whole sum of personal protection. One of the most important steps you can take is to learn about situational awareness and how to properly apply it. Situational awareness (SA) is defined as “the perception of environmental elements and events with respect to time or space, the comprehension of their meaning, and the projection of their future status.” Now you know how SA is defined, but do you understand how to apply it and what you can add to your self-defense needs that enhances its use? Many think SA is the use of intuition, but that is merely one element. Let’s explore a simple way to apply SA and see what tools can assist us.

View attachment 46614
Video

Just like driving and checking rearview mirrors and scanning ahead.

I have observed many times, we are creating an entire generation of easy targets, and adding quite a few adults to that mix also.

In my opinion the modern cell phone is the grestest enabler to a lack of awareness to surroundings, in history. People do not even pay attention to those they are with, much less strangers, or even traffic.

I have observed many times, we are creating an entire generation of easy targets, and adding quite a few adults to that mix also.

In my opinion the modern cell phone is the grestest enabler to a lack of awareness to surroundings, in history. People do not even pay attention to those they are with, much less strangers, or even traffic.
Very well said…….

View attachment 46614
Video

👆👆👆👆👆👆👆👆👆👆👆👆👆👆👆👆

Thanks for the links, Talyn. I have seen quite a few videos on “Active Self Protection’s” YouTube channel where an innocent looking person approaches someone to distract them while one or more criminals sneak up behind them while distracted and attacks. It goes right along with Rob’s video.

Many many years ago I worked in a group home for troubled kids.

One night during dinner I was having a conversation with one of the kids when another kid asked me a question. I turned to answer the other kid and the first one, feeling disrespected, bounced her Melemene dinner plate off my forehead. That was the beginning of my journey of learning situational awareness.

I also worked in a mental health facility for almost a year. That was an environment where one minute a patient was fine and the next he decided that you were the Antichrist and you had to die. That only has to happen a couple of times before you really start paying attention to what's going on around you.

I honestly don't know if you can teach somebody situational awareness any other way than by putting them in a position where they have to pay attention to what's going on around them or they're going to have to suffer actual consequences.

View attachment 46614
Video

The only thing that I really disagree with in his article is I never back in.

If somebody hits the back end of my car I'll probably be able to drive away but I had a lady in a parking lot hit the front end of my car and crack the radiator. According to Witnesses she wasn't going very fast she was pulling into park but she hit me hard enough to disable my car.

The only time I ever Park in a parking garage in Colorado Springs is in a parking garage that I used to work in.

I always park on the top floor because it's usually empty and because I don't have to wonder which floor I parked on, I parked on the top. Also I always park within sight of the elevator.

Back