testtest

Primer issues

Was having some issues with my judge randomly misfiring. (Recently acquired used gun) Randomly, the firing pin would only leave a slight impression on the primer. To help diagnose, I reprimered several rounds. Primer only, no powder or projectile just to test the firing pin. Fired 10 rounds with no misfires but all of the primers are reversed dimple like an over pressure, but that can't be because there was no powder in the round at all. Has anyone ever seen or heard of anything like this?

Was having some issues with my judge randomly misfiring. (Recently acquired used gun) Randomly, the firing pin would only leave a slight impression on the primer. To help diagnose, I reprimered several rounds. Primer only, no powder or projectile just to test the firing pin. Fired 10 rounds with no misfires but all of the primers are reversed dimple like an over pressure, but that can't be because there was no powder in the round at all. Has anyone ever seen or heard of anything like this?
not me, but i have yet to get fully under way soon..

in for the responses and education.

When you have no powder in the case. Just firing primers they can back out and tie up the action.

If it’s a used revolver look at the mainspring screw on the front strap. That’s the usual culprit as folks like to loosen there thinking it’s an instant trigger job when it’s not.

If that’s not it find a revolver smith or send to the factory for a look over

When you have no powder in the case. Just firing primers they can back out and tie up the action.

If it’s a used revolver look at the mainspring screw on the front strap. That’s the usual culprit as folks like to loosen there thinking it’s an instant trigger job when it’s not.

If that’s not it find a revolver smith or send to the factory for a look over
Thanks! I will look into that.

Standard loads will push the case backwards during recoil against the recoil shield, light or no powder loads may back out the primer. If you have strong hands, you may be able to cock the gun again, forcing the primer back if it came out. OTW, you're screwed.
When I test primer ignition, I do one round at a time to prevent this phenomena.

Next time fill the case with cream of wheat and top it off with a cotton ball so it'll keep the the C o W in place. Cook your meal and eat at the range when done ;) :cool: :cool: :cool:

I've had the same issues with Jag (357sig to be exact) pre primed cases. I'll never buy pre primed again unless it's from Lapua, Federal, ADG, Hornady or Nosler. Some might not offer pre primed cases. I'm guessing you're having issues with a semiauto non striking?

It’s uh…

It’s a Taurus.
30 years and thousands and thousands of rounds in a Taurus revolver and never had a single issue. Son in law has a .357 snubby he bought used. Looked like hell when he got it. I cleaned it up and he's been shooting the crap out of it for about 2 years now with no issues.

I'm not pretending it's a Smith or nothing, but if you can hit it with thousands and thousands of .44 mag and never experience a failure I call it good to go. Stupid accurate too.

Ran into something pretty similar back about 50 years ago while training one of my first good bird dogs. Had occasion to take her out to work but was close to residential area, so my partner suggested we load up a few 38's with primer only to save on any noise complaints. OK, we did that. But from the first shot (primer only in an early 70's mod 60) I knew there was a problem 'cause the cylinder would hardly turn/open. Finally got it open to investigate and saw the primer backed way out of the pocket. First thought was 'over pressure'.

Showed it to my buddy and said "how can that be.... there was no powder charge to cause an over pressure. We tried a couple more times with same result so we quit the shot firing and concentrated on just holding on point.

Back home I called a good friend gun smith and asked about it. He explained it simply as with no powder charge to force case to the rear of the chamber, which would have kept the primer in place, it allowed the primer to move slightly backward out of the case pocket. He explained that in every situation the rearward movement (however minor) of the fired cartridge case kept the primer in place, whereas with out the force of the case moving rearward it would allow the primer to move rearward to the rear of the chamber while pushing the case itself to the front.

Reasoning is that there is only a very small hole in front of the primer (flash hole) to ignite the powder. Due to the hole being so small it causes a pressure build up from the primer detonation which will/can push the primer out of the pocket. Made sense to me so I only loaded blanks from then on to train with. The resulting back pressure from the complete load had no more problems.

Back