testtest

Proper sized bushings and grip screws from TRP operator 1911 with Crimson Trace LG-401

msf

Alpha
Hey Community.

Please forgive me, Im not exactly a pro with firearms, but I am constantly learning to stay aware and to keep my family safe.

I purchased a SA TRP operator 1911 about 10 months ago and I love it. I used to have a beretta 92fs, but it was stolen like ~15-20 years ago.

I recently purchased the Crimson Trace LG-401 grips to replace the stock grips on the TRP Operator 1911.

Upon dismantling the stock Grip-tape grips from the TRP operator, I noticed that the screws (for the stock griptape grips) are embedded within the stock 1911 grips themselves. This means that the screws that come with the stock 1911 Grips cannot be re-used for the Crimson Trace Grips.

I was wondering if anyone happens to know of the proper bushings and grip screws that I may need to purchase in order to mount the Crimson Trace grips onto the SA TRP Operator ?

I found some bushing and screws on the the cheapanddirt site and challisgrips.

Im just simply looking for screws and bushings that will fit flush within the crimson trace grips for a SA TRP Operator 1911, that do not rust, and that stay tight.

Does any one know if this is all i need ?
screws: https://www.cheaperthandirt.com/str...4-pack-si-1911ts-bf-slim/FC-639713650266.html
https://challisgrips.americommerce.com/c/24-Screws.aspx

bushings: https://www.cheaperthandirt.com/str...4-pack-si-1911sb-bf-slim/FC-639713650273.html
https://challisgrips.americommerce.com/c/21-Bushings.aspx

Which ones would I purchase for TRP Operator 1911 ?

Any advice is appreciated....

thx
msf

The bushings should stay the same so no need for replacement, especially since Crimson Trace knows 1911 bushings unless they specially require new bushings.

You can also check Brownells for 1911 grip screws.

Thanks for the response.

you mention:
>> The bushings should stay the same so no need for replacement, especially since Crimson Trace knows 1911 bushings unless they specially require new bushings.

This is the same that I am wondering... I think that I need to get some new bushings and screws to mount the crimson trace grips, but I am not sure which ones to purchase...

Ive attached some pics of my TRP Operator 1911 pistol and the stock grips.

In the pics, you will see that I have removed 1 side of the grip.
Underneath the grip are some screws that are like the size of bushings, but they have thick screw heads that screw into the pistol, attaching the grip to the pistol.
The things is that these screws in the grip cannot be removed from the grip, as they are embedded within the layers of the grip. Trying to remove the screws from the grip results in damaging the hole of the grip.. and, when you get the screw piece out of the grip and look at it, it is like a small bushing with the screw piece and they they are glued together with locktite or something, to make a fatter screw that is already glued to bushing, which is screwed to the pistol handle.
... maybe this grip-tape grip is different than others.I dont know... After months, i do like how it feels though.

When the grips are removed from the pistol, you will see that the bushings do not exist on the handle of the pistol beneath, like a normal grip might, and I am wondering if this is something different between some other gun manuafactures? Ive only owned 1 other pistol than this 1911, so im a bit newb-zilla... this is the first time i have ever tried to change the grip on the pistol.

anyways.. the pics show that the bushings are not attached to the pistol, but instead, they are screws embedded into the stock grip tape grips.

I hoping someone knows which bushing/screw combo i might need to purchase to attach the CT LG-401 to the SA TRP Operator 1911.

I can check out the Brownings youmentioned. im not sure if all the bushings threads are standard across all pistols..

From your suggestion, I also found this thread, which seems to agrees with you:

I appreciate your information.

Would you (or anyone) agree that these items might suit my needs? I assume they are high quality..

Bushings:

Grip Screws:

bushing tightening tool: ( probably could use screwdriver...)

thx
msf

Attachments

• IMG_3208.jpg
    IMG_3208.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 143
  • IMG_3211.jpg
    IMG_3211.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 145
  • IMG_3210.jpg
    IMG_3210.jpg
    767.7 KB · Views: 138
  • IMG_3209.jpg
    IMG_3209.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 134
I got antsy... and purchased the 'standard' sized bushings and screws.... from that brownells site......

i think the items that i posted should work.. as it appears the threading of the brownell (standard) bushing seems to fit the 1911. I got the matching brownell 1911 screws, so i think im good to go.

I got this tool instead though :

thx
msf

I got antsy... and purchased the 'standard' sized bushings and screws.... from that brownells site......

i think the items that i posted should work.. as it appears the threading of the brownell (standard) bushing seems to fit the 1911. I got the matching brownell 1911 screws, so i think im good to go.

I got this tool instead though :

thx
msf
First off, welcome to the forum.

Second...I don’t think those grips you pictured are stock/original; never seen a TRP come from the factory with them...did you perhaps buy your TRP used?

Third—the bushings should have stayed in the grip frame when you removed the grips, unless somebody used Loctite on the grip screws because they loosened...which is the wrong thing to do; get a small rubber o-ring (forget the exact size) and your grips will never loosen.

And, finally—good on you for buying from Brownells and not Cheaper Than Dirt...CTD has a poor history of ripping off people, and are to be avoided. Shunned, even.

Oh—

Threads on bushings are, AFAIK, standard across the board. The only difference when it comes to bushings are standard vs “slim“ (referring to the thickness of the grips); unless your CT grips specify ypu need to replace your bushings with “slim”, standard will be fine.

Thank you for this useful information. This all makes sense to me now.

YES.. I did indeed buy the TRP 2nd hand from a local dealer, however, I was under the impression that the grips were stock, and the firearm was unchanged....But, it could be that grips themselves were not stock... thanks for the clarity.. i was unaware.....
The dealer seems to be inundated with firearm requests from customers, so it seems mildly challenging to get in contact with my dealer for information... :(

I did see some posts by other veterans regarding the information you provided about using o-rings to keep the bushing from coming loose. I will look for proper o-rings for the TRP. Thanks for this.

The CT installguide mentions to keep the stock bushings and screws, and does not mention 'slim'... I am hoping the 'standard' is what i need.

thanks for the response.

thx
msf

First off, welcome to the forum.

Second...I don’t think those grips you pictured are stock/original; never seen a TRP come from the factory with them...did you perhaps buy your TRP used?

Third—the bushings should have stayed in the grip frame when you removed the grips, unless somebody used Loctite on the grip screws because they loosened...which is the wrong thing to do; get a small rubber o-ring (forget the exact size) and your grips will never loosen.

And, finally—good on you for buying from Brownells and not Cheaper Than Dirt...CTD has a poor history of ripping off people, and are to be avoided. Shunned, even.

Oh—

Threads on bushings are, AFAIK, standard across the board. The only difference when it comes to bushings are standard vs “slim“ (referring to the thickness of the grips); unless your CT grips specify ypu need to replace your bushings with “slim”, standard will be fine.
Agreed Hans. Both my TRP's came with VZ G10 grips. I didn't like the "Alien" VZ grips on my 6" 10mm TRP, so I bought the same VZ grips that were on my TRP 45. Removed the screws, Bushing stayed in the frame, and used the same screws to replace the 10mm TRP grips with the new grips.
Ditto @msf on welcome to the forum.

Back