testtest

Questions on Selling Brass

IamSalty

Operator
I have a friend that is collecting a lot of once fired brass and wants to try selling it vs scrapping it.
He had a few questions on maximizing profit. It will be primarily 9mm, and possibly some .40 and .223.

1. Clean vs no clean
2. De-cap vs not
3. Quantity ( 100 / 500 / 1000 batches)
4. Where to sell? (Gunbroker, Etsy, Facebook, other suggestions?)
5. Price per piece? (thinking around $.05/piece )

Thoughts?

He probably should consider how much time and effort he wants to put into it. At 5¢ does it make monetary sense to clean/decap it?

As for listing it, I personally would stay on gun-related sites. Most likely to find interested buyers and way less likely to encounter anti-gun people or risk running afoul of the thought police and other wokeists who would harass them just because.

I peruse the SASS wire and belong to SASS. Many people sell brass there. It is clean and deprimed. They list a price and whether shipping is extra or not. I couldn't say about pricing for yours, but I bought several bags of mixed 9mm for $20/500. I don't think it was once fired. Some folks post For Sale ads at their local range, others do online. Do you have a local free paper? Lots of possibilities. Only you can decide whether it is worth it or not.

I have a friend that is collecting a lot of once fired brass and wants to try selling it vs scrapping it.
He had a few questions on maximizing profit. It will be primarily 9mm, and possibly some .40 and .223.

1. Clean vs no clean
2. De-cap vs not
3. Quantity ( 100 / 500 / 1000 batches)
4. Where to sell? (Gunbroker, Etsy, Facebook, other suggestions?)
5. Price per piece? (thinking around $.05/piece )

Thoughts?
1) collect, and bag at least 500 per bag, per caliber, sell as-is...

why put more time and effort into it..??

you won't sell it for what you invest into it.

personally for me..??

when i collect more brass than what i can use..??

i dump it into 5 gallon pails, and off to the scrap yard

no haggling over price, dirty, deprimed, polished....

screw that.

my old indoor range sold brass in bags of 100, and it was just swept up off the floor and eyeballed
still had primers

my old indoor range sold brass in bags of 100, and it was just swept up off the floor and eyeballed
still had primers
that's what my range does, or did..i hadn't seen any brass there for a while.

my club wanted to sell brass as well, but then they figured time to separate the calibers, wasn't worth the volunteers time.

best to sweep, dump in bucket, take to salvage yard

or bag it for oneself in the event of a future shortage?

i have one of those vacuum bagging machines for food?

i can bag maybe 500 rds of each caliber, suck out the air, and seal them....no humidity issues.

mine will at least be cleaned/polished only

1) collect, and bag at least 500 per bag, per caliber, sell as-is...

why put more time and effort into it..??

you won't sell it for what you invest into it.

personally for me..??

when i collect more brass than what i can use..??

i dump it into 5 gallon pails, and off to the scrap yard

no haggling over price, dirty, deprimed, polished....

screw that.
I do the same. I save my 308 ,30-06, 7mm REM Mag and .357 mag.
Everything else is in 5 gallon buckets to drop off for scrap.
I think I have 6 , 5 gallon buckets of 9mm, and .223/5.56 now to take in for scrap.

He was already leaning to dirty, once fired, unprocessed. That is more his style. Separation isn't a big issue since he is only picking up what was fired during a recertification session. From my point of view, it is literally all profit for him. It will pay for powder and primers. I think that I agree that staying to posting on gun related sales sites makes more sense to minimize issues.

Looks like
unprocessed 223 is going for about $50/1000 including shipping
unprocessed 9mm $35-$45/1000 including shipping

Back