testtest

Range Report - 208 rounds 4/27/24

belladonna

Professional
The husband had to take the diesel into the shop in Fargo, so he dropped me off at the range to do my thing. I brought the VP9 and the SK and thirteen loaded magazines along. I got there at 10:15 and it was busy already. Cold, rainy day is a good reason to be at an indoor range. There were even a couple of vehicles from "Friendly Manitoba" in the parking lot :).
The south side was full up so they sent me into the north side to lucky lane 13 (I am channeling a little @BassCliff here, lol.)

IMG_4237.jpeg

I had been dry firing all week with Mantis, with both of the HKs, and I do believe it is helping. I started with the VP9. I shot six 17rd mags - three through the first target and three through the second, all at 5 yards.

IMG_4239.jpeg

I was pleased with that one. I swapped out the target for the other three.

IMG_4241.jpeg

A few got away from me that time, but I was still pretty pleased with myself, that was 102 rounds. I know that the fliers are when my eye drifts away from the front sight and onto the target...or I flinch (which I don't do often, but it happens). I don't slap the trigger (that I am aware of) because I concentrate on the reset. I love these HK triggers :giggle:.

So now I bring out the baby, the one I carry. I have seven mags for it (2-17rd, 4-15rd, and one 12rd for a total of 106 rounds). The first target I shot the four 15s.

IMG_4242.jpeg

Well, I did tear up the middle pretty good, but I also sprayed a lot left. Work on the grip. I'm not over the moon about it, but I'm not disenchanted either. I may have been getting tired (not an excuse, just fact) but I did notice some snap. Probably should try shooting this one first next time ;).

Time for the two 17s and the 12.

IMG_4244.jpeg

Again with a few fliers, but all in all I am happy with today's results. The little bit of dry fire practice I've done so far is helping and will help me get where I want to be. I have only practiced with Mantis for about six days total, and I think it's working. I also reigned the targets in to 5 yards, as was suggested by a few of you. All in all, I am happy and feeling positive with today's results.

Time to get out of Dodge...those ARs are LOUD in an indoor range! And as always...all suggestions, advice, and constructive criticism is welcomed :)😎.

Hi @belladonna,

I must say, you're doing something right! Wow! Dryfire helps.

Today's targets are leaps and bounds better than previous targets, fewer flyers, and a much bigger ragged hole in the center. I know exactly what you mean about taking your eye off the front sight just to look at the target and see where your hit will land. I'm slowly breaking myself of that habit. Keep doing what you're doing. As your groups tighten up at 5 yards, move out to 7 yards. You'll tighten up at 7 yards after a couple of sessions, then move out to 10 yards. I'm excited for you. It's fun to see your progress.

I also have trouble keeping up my concentration, especially when fatigue sets in, and several things will go wrong. I'll forget my grip, take my eye off the front sight, and anticipate the recoil all at the same time. Arrrrgh! :LOL: I've begun limiting my session to 150 rounds and two, maybe three, pistols. Sometimes I will take more time between targets, or shot strings, and sweep the brass or load a magazine. (I don't pre-load my magazines before I go to the range.) Anyway, those little breaks during my session seem to help.

It certainly looks like you're starting to do more things right. The trick is to do them right more often. That's what I'm striving for. It seems you're on your way. Thanks for sharing your fun!

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

The husband had to take the diesel into the shop in Fargo, so he dropped me off at the range to do my thing. I brought the VP9 and the SK and thirteen loaded magazines along. I got there at 10:15 and it was busy already. Cold, rainy day is a good reason to be at an indoor range. There were even a couple of vehicles from "Friendly Manitoba" in the parking lot :).
The south side was full up so they sent me into the north side to lucky lane 13 (I am channeling a little @BassCliff here, lol.)

View attachment 56703

I had been dry firing all week with Mantis, with both of the HKs, and I do believe it is helping. I started with the VP9. I shot six 17rd mags - three through the first target and three through the second, all at 5 yards.

View attachment 56704

I was pleased with that one. I swapped out the target for the other three.

View attachment 56705

A few got away from me that time, but I was still pretty pleased with myself, that was 102 rounds. I know that the fliers are when my eye drifts away from the front sight and onto the target...or I flinch (which I don't do often, but it happens). I don't slap the trigger (that I am aware of) because I concentrate on the reset. I love these HK triggers :giggle:.

So now I bring out the baby, the one I carry. I have seven mags for it (2-17rd, 4-15rd, and one 12rd for a total of 106 rounds). The first target I shot the four 15s.

View attachment 56706

Well, I did tear up the middle pretty good, but I also sprayed a lot left. Work on the grip. I'm not over the moon about it, but I'm not disenchanted either. I may have been getting tired (not an excuse, just fact) but I did notice some snap. Probably should try shooting this one first next time ;).

Time for the two 17s and the 12.

View attachment 56707

Again with a few fliers, but all in all I am happy with today's results. The little bit of dry fire practice I've done so far is helping and will help me get where I want to be. I have only practiced with Mantis for about six days total, and I think it's working. I also reigned the targets in to 5 yards, as was suggested by a few of you. All in all, I am happy and feeling positive with today's results.

Time to get out of Dodge...those ARs are LOUD in an indoor range! And as always...all suggestions, advice, and constructive criticism is welcomed :)😎.
Glad to hear the Mantis has helped some. I had several areas that needed some change and like you hope this gizmo gets me there. Your targets look pretty good to me.

Hi @belladonna,

I must say, you're doing something right! Wow! Dryfire helps.

Today's targets are leaps and bounds better than previous targets, fewer flyers, and a much bigger ragged hole in the center. I know exactly what you mean about taking your eye off the front sight just to look at the target and see where your hit will land. I'm slowly breaking myself of that habit. Keep doing what you're doing. As your groups tighten up at 5 yards, move out to 7 yards. You'll tighten up at 7 yards after a couple of sessions, then move out to 10 yards. I'm excited for you. It's fun to see your progress.

I also have trouble keeping up my concentration, especially when fatigue sets in, and several things will go wrong. I'll forget my grip, take my eye off the front sight, and anticipate the recoil all at the same time. Arrrrgh! :LOL: I've begun limiting my session to 150 rounds and two, maybe three, pistols. Sometimes I will take more time between targets, or shot strings, and sweep the brass or load a magazine. (I don't pre-load my magazines before I go to the range.) Anyway, those little breaks during my session seem to help.

It certainly looks like you're starting to do more things right. The trick is to do them right more often. That's what I'm striving for. It seems you're on your way. Thanks for sharing your fun!

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
I think next time I may take more time (and fewer loaded mags). I preload my mags so as not to waste time at the lane, but, as you say, there is something to be said for taking that time to rest some muscles. I took a few short breaks to stretch out my shoulders. They have taken somewhat of a beating in my lifetime. I do have the tendency to push myself unnecessarily...it's a military thing 😎. All the tips I get on the forum help me to refine my training. Thank you!

I think next time I may take more time (and fewer loaded mags). I preload my mags so as not to waste time at the lane, but, as you say, there is something to be said for taking that time to rest some muscles. I took a few short breaks to stretch out my shoulders. They have taken somewhat of a beating in my lifetime. I do have the tendency to push myself unnecessarily...it's a military thing 😎. All the tips I get on the forum help me to refine my training. Thank you!
I typically load 5 rds at a time. It makes my ammo last, but also gives me time to analyze. There’s no need to rush, it’s supposed to be fun. I would also recommend getting hold of a USPSA target as their A zone is tighter and less forgiving and will keep you more focused than the IDPA target with the beach ball size A zone. Or get yourself some of the 4 in splatterburst targets. You can stick them anywhere. Aim small, miss small. Bottom line wash, rinse, repeat. Have fun.

USPSA Target
IMG_7017.jpeg

I typically load 5 rds at a time. It makes my ammo last, but also gives me time to analyze. There’s no need to rush, it’s supposed to be fun. I would also recommend getting hold of a USPSA target as their A zone is tighter and less forgiving and will keep you more focused than the IDPA target with the beach ball size A zone. Or get yourself some of the 4 in splatterburst targets. You can stick them anywhere. Aim small, miss small. Bottom line wash, rinse, repeat. Have fun.

USPSA Target
View attachment 56719
Thanks @SimonRL . I like those splatter burst targets and I think I can get them at Scheels. I'll look into ordering those USPSA targets too. I will definitely work on NOT busting my own chops. I am usually out of the range in less than an hour. I have a membership where I can have a lane for as long as I want, so...no rush. Right? 😎

My 'Belle, I'm very pleased to read that you're pleased with your efforts! Outstanding! My take? IMO, change target type if you wish, but nothing further for a stretch. Soon, you'll be sated with five yards, and ready for seven yards (and beyond) by your time and on your own terms.
Well done!

Back