testtest

Range Report: Defensive Shooting Fundamentals 104 (Movement), 3/25/24

BassCliff

Professional
Hey gang,

I've taken this class a few times now but it's great to keep up with these skills. It was a rainy spring evening at the range. We got snow a couple days ago and now it's raining. You just never know here in the Wild Wild Upper Midwest.

AP1GczNJrZJhtQ4EsyYHpPpCW_4mLsqgMZNCI8eccrNy6p9FP5CLfTrdYGPaRgZ_CBva39144fpZiZQqT10OE_qF45Y9ABG94k7NrW975UNYePTHaus25u4VOO-mtl6zjCivZEHtGNQkd8PDl8BXI7P_m3et2Q=w1236-h927-s-no

We were working out in the open range beyond the booths at various distances between 5 and 15 yards. This is a USCCA class, DSF104-Movement Techniques.

AP1GczNo_g1AXjPShImP-b-B-yoYBKjNAJ99CmQp6-v9rjcxKe9-DtRbnbCxMtaxWOk2JnqFYY_aWegkODLRSdEVKuMn4YpjDK-lBmx7l8tJmBBTvhI4VntmlIZ9XjEicbmUJcFfxJMOq_NYyEk2lyqkqtph_g=w1236-h927-s-no

I brought along 250 rounds of practice ammo, Blazer 124 grain, to feed my XD9 but shot only half of that. Sometimes we're having so much fun that we need a little extra. ;)

AP1GczPIJ7QgHpMsPAoUVtE2kd_Eyz0a1trsoqOpJDvtZqpmmA2iCB1zHJOY17rdaHW3x26SlNVy9JY5w-11KqcOpLi3gGQhvI5ipvFcnvMCbNQQ08AJp71t-wTZ4mfi1PZ5pLEQoNDXb7ZXbShNFZ9lajZD-A=w1236-h927-s-no

There were 8 students in class tonight. We started at 5 and 7 yards mostly putting hits on center mass but sometimes a number.

AP1GczM6mtijIb9ygm4CD7ObWHQnfiX3tewJ8ozn06swBR0r8QER-Xmc2yF-fRiQRvok2-tP9yZjnglbCMK4TZuLfo740zHBOWsh94EipE1GlBsHh271SumbhGwaFT93gNrvM3wIvRybxpPZLcmoo0QXj-NXRg=w1236-h927-s-no

Let's take a little closer look at my target.

AP1GczNQn_x5iqPVKBBC8k6CPnGvFq-WhFGIDOlQ2quzbaj6SyA-bYzbv2NqFlfXcHwUnPMRYDnPdYu6Xn18_eXouNn2-NI-UzlzavnBHo0Q4RUtCZyyszoyubFI7DdguZ8cpMlruepkQaG5WaQw20q2xEXdNw=w1236-h927-s-no

The instructors said I could speed up my cadence because I was too accurate.(?) We would put 3-5 hits on center mass on command and one hit on a number or head shot. I did speed up my cadence until I noticed the accuracy suffering. The instructors wanted us to push until we found our limit.

For the next target we were working on pivoting 90° or 180° before drawing and shooting, 7 to 10 yards. I was doing OK on center mass but had to slow down a little and focus for the numbers and head shot.

AP1GczNoCNVuu-bKrS2dl5ZhgQ-Xc227eEEcgW1mgrfZK14XnHhsMcLgnRLPO_qSROxq2EuvG5cFu-i45dppad5tCUQWPuNBXI5hKTJkjmH99xipBT4uZkwj0f65WtVBHhZZyPchr5UuLXYC2UCRVDcz0I308A=w1236-h927-s-no

OK, how about a closer look? I missed a "5" and a "6" and one head shot but everything else was pretty good.

AP1GczNjujasAwRkKq1XN-uLLYMxp0qLn0qYQQAcNaDEE3v5iZQVSfO2Oq5FJypXyvlzbe9SCt6RibCVbPa0Xx-Vd9Xk7V1y7Ek5pL2UHyWJwxCnJMiuNlTBmw7hVV98J39PMlqF2MX-AovqR3ZbRjv8IvpQbQ=w1236-h927-s-no

As I pushed for speed on the four and five shot strings I went a little wide on a few. I slowed down just a little and kept my sight alignment. I got a ragged hole going. ;)

For this last target the class did a "tactical stroll". In a line the class would walk back and forth between the 5 yard line and the 15 yard line waiting for a command to fire. We'd have to pivot, get off the "X", check our alignment (for safety), put 3-5 shots on center mass or one shot on a number or head.

AP1GczPFpoPi-mflj3CxCvVTCU0KP1yQz8JP52De2ZlzEeE7VS2WSM7wWRdCfrw0989ITwRXL3c9eF-qIyQ65nLWysOOj4zDQLF2u0GM7m1DR0tzpsfTdyb5SrwGDLNNdPEpOMmtTlVRuE7xG-FZj_MuvkB0wQ=w1236-h927-s-no

I did a lot of "emergency" reloads tonight because I would shoot the maximum number allowed. It's OK. I brought extra ammo and I wanted to practice. I did one combat reload but dropped the partial magazine. I left it on the floor. We don't pick up anything until the range is cold and everyone is holstered.

Later this week I'll be back out just to practice some more accuracy fundamentals. Then next month I have another class scheduled, DSF105 Cognitive Skills. It focuses on target identification, threat level, multiple threat engagements, more movement, while throwing mental curve balls at us to try and overload our brains. In my case it might not take much. :p I've taken this class several times too. Again, it's good to keep these skills fresh and the instructors are always throwing something new and different at you.

That's about all the fun there was tonight. Thanks for letting me share it with you. I know I didn't take as many pictures as I usually do but I was having too much fun shooting! :LOL:

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Hi,

I just want to confirm that the Maglula belongs to Cliff and nobody else can use it, touch it or even look at it. So hands off Cliff’s Maglula! 😁
Nice shooting by the way.

I'm a creature of habit. In the Air Force we put our first initial and last four numbers of our social on everything.

I don't mind when folks borrow my loader, as long as they remember where they got it. ;) I was actually letting everyone know that was  my booth. :LOL:

I also mark up my magazines. When were done with drills there could be more than a dozen magazines strewn about the floor. I don't want to pick up anybody else's. But I'm usually the only one with an XD9. :p

BassCliff

Hi,

I'm a creature of habit. In the Air Force we put our first initial and last four numbers of our social on everything.

I don't mind when folks borrow my loader, as long as they remember where they got it. ;) I was actually letting everyone know that was  my booth. :LOL:

I also mark up my magazines. When were done with drills there could be more than a dozen magazines strewn about the floor. I don't want to pick up anybody else's. But I'm usually the only one with an XD9. :p

BassCliff
i mark my mags too. i put a "smiley" on the bottom. it is definitely a unique marking and i like the subtle irony of a smiley face on a magazine. 😁
one the instructors/RSOs who is retired army, retired state trooper, spent many years in the middle east and a couple on guantanamo "interviewing" some bad hombres and left the army with the rank of CSM. i show him my smiley mags and he shakes his head in disgust 😂. he is good dude to be around.

Hi,

i mark my mags too. i put a "smiley" on the bottom. it is definitely a unique marking and i like the subtle irony of a smiley face on a magazine. 😁

I mark mine with numbers and letters. I can troubleshoot malfunctions or feed issues down to the specific mag if necessary.

... i show him my smiley mags and he shakes his head in disgust 😂. he is good dude to be around.

That's pretty funny right there. :LOL:

BassCliff

Back