testtest

Range Report: Quality Time w/XD45 and XDM Elite, 2/7/24

BassCliff

Professional
Hello friends and neighbors!

I like getting my practice sessions in the middle of the week. The range it not too crowded and I can take my time having my fun. For this session I took only two pistols and put 100 rounds through each. I was concentrating on slow fire accuracy, grip, sight alignment, straight trigger press, all the basics. I went to the newer facility again and got lane #11, my favorite lane!

ABLVV84gqBsNkYuzKPO5OTDKOft7cSL-cv2SAtu_LjH6-dmk8h6ynJe0RC1N4Ezi_mZ77Wq1TihVI2k5nNuxI5WB_MLX60FL3nhzz01wufEs9TDrNPrEXIoE05Bd1vKrVYgU6z3dHy_4gkQUpigTAnyNRqiRJQ=w1236-h927-s-no

Here you see my XD45 Mod2 Tactical and XDM Elite Precision. The LAX Ammo .45 230g ran great with no mals. Same with the Blazer 9mm 124g. Even though I brought an extra 100 rounds of S&B I decided not to use it today. Both of these pistols had been freshly cleaned and ran great.

ABLVV85TmKjm66lRim3KupLOC7LelkCs5xehW2S6oYbM5K-nzETs1JbXn1ejyyg9UQzvXcaPcAdLa8HUbd6-gIOWF7IeqCrHRaQhMiGO9_1pLLm6D3hhgjSaCRz_9_x4cq3qThttYKgEvaEG4B_M75T2BLyc-Q=w1236-h927-s-no

Like I said, I was concentrating on pure accuracy fundamentals today. For my first B-8 target I wanted to give the bullseye a little more contrast. "The Coop" is a breakfast spot that Mrs. BassCliff and I frequent. I had picked up a couple of their little stickers and thought, "Why not?"

ABLVV85JO1EVOOjVwRO-YNmH6NsWlsRkpYMe0NUv_Byt57iHB3j3S-QmGbnVPL13Nb79sctrjaZCjk6Vie5yYEM4lpxugCDAWCzXd-4uNZjNSm7IcfC3jROiPL81uyYHyemxuPdkfXiNzDV8F568P89N-cWDQw=w1236-h927-s-no

As noted on the target, I started the session with my XD45 at 10 yards. Once I'm able to consistently get all (or most) of the hits inside the 10 ring I'll start increasing the distance. My first target came back looking like this.

ABLVV84w2DVMecUCGGkfGkVlrl6CyKyNsdFmIbVjM1P8_eOuDLbEaAIa0WY9spX_8QrgmZfNxbjiGA_kqeH6weXb4RnwWlnno4IQsCNtyQ2lI2T3qT6BxuqeF0pfo95sg9Sli-odZfKJVRwRMmH1gzdDZXLw1Q=w1236-h927-s-no

Ya know, this wouldn't've been too bad had it not been for that bad low-right flyer. That's what happens when I take my eyes off the front sight and look ahead to where I'm going to hit. I usually practice with 10 shot strings, but today I shot whole magazines. So in the target above you see 11 hits inside the 9 ring with only two out of the black. If you don't mind, I'm going to pat myself on the back for this initial effort of the session.

I normally tape on another B-8 center from my printer but today I wanted to see better. I used my 8" reactive circles. They just cover up the 8 ring on these targets. Here's what target #2 looked like after I punched some holes in it.

ABLVV86RnQUqHau2xDWPAGj5HHmavQQWjaP5YRf4AdMPQaxRjCw3vmSa69o5BVcMyPqYqvxXXvqEN1dNyp3DseI3yQbPym4Xq-_dE0BiCFKFBjrXY-sdQsKrhRwkd3Hh7yby7K-wbLl0i06uYqw26aI79_-RLw=w1236-h927-s-no

Again, one hit low left. Drat. But I'm happy that 12 hits are inside the 8" circle. I'm still searching for that one, big, ragged hole. Note: I have four magazine for this XD45. A 50 round box will fill all four with 13, 13, 12, 12. After each magazine I try my best to patch up these expensive targets but after a couple of uses they're pretty whacked.

ABLVV86MZNezkFVFQcpF3uxQxG8SFwoIiR8z4o3jXEnb1YRQDpWcqIf23lP6tOnol6KaqGp_TsNehciTiyeDBVg39HkAixu4kTXark-3wQ4hPvP-tPNlsGl7rD0IOOsmFPJbjKcGva73CA-M3EL7wvp23_zLOw=w1236-h927-s-no

This will be target #3 putting 12 rounds on it. This one came back with all 12 hits inside the 8 ring and the start of a ragged hole near the center.

ABLVV872df15YNWuqVXbY6sU1XaDI9F3xKCxLUHhhYGzaXYFiTnGNHaA0YFxS78D1QMWLpLjR-DnqJ2BDjT4wugMbzuHEcyM8pMSoGEf4RdXHdn-pjVNeC4YZLse90XpR4ZHyEAG0MglPntu3vvNdBVUBRoUbQ=w1236-h927-s-no

And as usual, after a pretty good target I get a little cocky and go too fast. There's a pretty good group near the center but with a few flyers, one really bad.

ABLVV87O_HJhUcZ5WYGfKv8RIkK0j4FhI44T1rfVFA_xFE9nj1bELXBdMe205ODokcvQKDjaTPj3nmR1VNsNZU_1OvnpQ3IYxV16C_ClWZ5yva9vXiX3q69aGM7-rT_5eb2geppiona_R5G5nKbnUukF2vJ6IA=w1236-h927-s-no

How about a change in targets? I've been able to put all 10 hits from my Mark IV in the A-zone. Let's see how I can do with the XD45. I put 13 hits on each target. I guess more practice is necessary. Drat.

ABLVV86PZhTQoO9fHdfY87-dEppDtw78J4gu6rPnkhZhEeoDccqY3PDFhSK0_wuCwJtcNIzX4mt92i9bg6XqNhYncIpS8d8whkFNiInQeAUD-SDb3lfgeCcvmMNWFXFWY9GDt_StnHmv4xAsU65wO_J0sbFKxw=w1236-h927-s-no

OK, I have two magazines of 12 left for my .45 session. I'm going to use the 12x18 reactive silhouette. For some reason I tend to do a little better with this target. Maybe I can see the big red bullseye better.

ABLVV87F5cD99ULdowJt3lvyWfGeA8gSQlNV40uEvFPqvPttup2Tg0J6eOHToR1OVuNU_S89EfhAxNk53Dro_yROZWf40Iagt_KUruue8mFMfMZcd3De6WLUaZGJ6bE8YCn5fVHBaCeEcuu7VsMAulyx-_uguw=w1236-h927-s-no

After the first 12 hits, it came back looking like this. I'd say this is the best .45 target of the session, all but a couple in the 10 ring.

ABLVV86sIXptyRnw_6tntiX7dOFMmzBmvFy9rbgdPmRSNOyiW-W2ATuWrLfTRd_DUu9f3Io460VqKKakbij9Nhf1Ih5WqZNEU765W9CaJ-inw81iBPOGJ_Aafd50Rg5HpCTbapmyY_juSXJwqUitDKPS1IA7qw=w1236-h927-s-no

Instead of patching it up, I just put 12 more hits on it. I let a few more get outside the 9 ring. Drat.

ABLVV87KxvDtIZMnu0V4Y1TscgWRso_GJATmRNGpoL6YXrDfc0XTcgi5uwtEDUIB-wJy_hQIpJtFvxRiEJKSiBOElrlflJSlB7fvxWKXrPit7fXTaRynQEqeAclYX6E2htzLCAnaFUQlCZ0NFKfxxoo7mkxudw=w1236-h927-s-no

OK, that's 100 rounds through the XD45. I usually shoot only 50 rounds of .45 per session 'cause it's twice the price of 9mm. But I thought I'd treat myself today with some extra practice time. I think it helped. Now it's time to have some fun with the XDM Elite Precision and its 5.25" barrel. I'm still not crazy about the sights but I'll try to get used to them. With the XDM, I have 5 magazines that hold 22 rounds each. I just filled them all with 20 rounds for a total of 100 rounds for this session. The first target came back like this, with all 20 hits inside the 8" circle. It looks like all but 4 hits inside the 4" circle.

ABLVV87VfSwjxDeVK8czFreZGecalIl5XavPf_BfoaJCq0rZFbWuusX13VfLg0CI-MXDApamu4WWJ1gEjk6NCzwfLXUJ8G5SlPypbQ2HeacYko6V2cPlGp6bTrq5V92rh7sTUEQ_mamaaGf4TzKrr3cKlf3oTQ=w1236-h927-s-no

I patched up the target as best I could and put 20 more rounds through it. True to form, I get sloppy after a good target. Even though there's the start of a ragged hole in the center there are too many flyers. Drat.

ABLVV85tIO27p8dWYIAvygWxd48XkwgbmZw5CJJc-Jh2xuoACQlqtSh_X5cFgcZiPMlTjQ0DhoDDXY8VCLZW750DihN9kWIiwtrPyHYnkn5-Rcuxjn87VKHdsKF0V8FyOkepmuMVXwu9-d8idcVHpGT5Bog3KA=w1236-h927-s-no

For target #3 I settled back down a little, just one bad flyer out of 20 rounds.

ABLVV87mJmNJyjPexMq4BHTL0ZN_NNtFnxhIZ7N-Ji-NGY2wMHNCGKWwDdedEofW794Ij7-4IDgTD4stZw_uCSzrTD05nkD5tucLHCh4HbhR5R_8P6mXR9YjIW37jlN-FOf5e1Dfk-mxSweqMFDysaUb9Yoonw=w1236-h927-s-no

I took a little more time with target #4 and had a pretty good group in the center with the spread still all inside the 8" circle.

ABLVV84fBwZHOM13CDLEuQlNTEYMqwLlLkmQw43VQhGGpmT4Lby5onQU_LURi01eCvoTHEMndpj34ZlFdtip_NgjIKa-RRo_a2AxL9skwui0rb0pRMAQ1fpwTaABVK2UwpqDv4yesungLMGG58ETKMltGFKuXA=w1236-h927-s-no

OK, the last target of the day, the last 20 rounds. I guess I was in a hurry. Even though they're all inside the 8" circle, they are spread out a little more than they should be. I'll just call that "combat accuracy". :ROFLMAO:

ABLVV85dznA2EBgVse2AIf_R_3tVoE9leTvc5RUkrUt2rBb0FvgCANHiylpuw_jok5SXjnAwRhpqOBauyUsjbtrpB1igGfaDyOcCGAWPceqX5PBTNQQZc7uyppKeg2FipYTyZFqulLNYIzL7D2qZF7ky8guKVg=w1236-h927-s-no

And that was my practice session for the week. Guess what? Mrs. BassCliff is leaving town for a few days next week to visit her Mom. You know what that means? I might get two or three range days in a row. I'll try to make good use of my "bachelor" time. Thanks for letting me share my fun. Blessings to all.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Hi guys,

I dig Range Reviews. Thanks

You're welcome! Although this is more a review of my mediocre performance. ;) My membership gives me access to two different facilities. This one is very state-of-the-art with computer controlled target carriers on 12 lanes (25y) and the other is very old school with analog carriers, 10 "long" lanes (10y-25y) and 5 "short" lanes (5y). I alternate between the two when I practice. Most of my classes have been at the newer facility.

Great shooting Cliff, all dead bad guys as usual.
Keep on . Keep on … looking good

Aww, you guys are just being nice. I appreciate the encouragement. I know I've got a ways to go, but I love practicing! :D Maybe after an intense multi-day practice session (while Mrs. BassCliff is out of town) you'll see more improvement. I'll try to make you proud. ;)

BassCliff

Hi guys,

You're welcome! Although this is more a review of my mediocre performance. ;) My membership gives me access to two different facilities. This one is very state-of-the-art with computer controlled target carriers on 12 lanes (25y) and the other is very old school with analog carriers, 10 "long" lanes (10y-25y) and 5 "short" lanes (5y). I alternate between the two when I practice. Most of my classes have been at the newer facility.

Aww, you guys are just being nice. I appreciate the encouragement. I know I've got a ways to go, but I love practicing! :D Maybe after an intense multi-day practice session (while Mrs. BassCliff is out of town) you'll see more improvement. I'll try to make you proud. ;)

BassCliff
I think it's better than you think. It's like golf. Not every round is a course record, but every round has some bad shots and good shots. Your's were good and nice to see. I think they were well done.

Hi,

I think it's better than you think. It's like golf. Not every round is a course record, but every round has some bad shots and good shots. Your's were good and nice to see. I think they were well done.

Thank you. I think I can say this, my targets are a bit better and more consistent than they were a year ago. I know I'll never be a competition shooter so my "aim" is self defense, a combination of speed and accuracy. That's why most of my target distance is 10 to 15 yards, sometimes 7 yards when I'm doing speed drills. My goal is to be quick enough to defend myself and loved ones and accurate enough so as not to harm any innocent bystanders.

When I first started on that 12"x18" 'Shoot-n-See' silhouette I would miss it altogether. 😨 I'm slowly getting over my low-left tendencies. Now I can pretty well keep all my hits on an 8"x11" piece of paper. Next will be 5"x7" index cards. ;)

BassCliff

Hello young lady,

Great shooting Cliff! I love reading your reports, I learn lots from them. I wish my range was more like yours. It's bright and new looking. I'm looking forward to your next one! :)

Aww, shucks!
ABLVV85DHplrPqNwehSmsv0MDchjBPtaCcx8pYnATmomt5Iue3t6svUQGj9i5WaL9ZD415peh_8kcRc2zn9oQXsjDfQxAr1PjsWxlhg3bxX3U9Cv-YF2PzngDUaYMHd_ONl4uwWZ45ypgoyyCSoSnUu76EGuEQ=w35-h30-s-no

Both of "my" ranges are well taken care of and well lighted. The newer one is really nice and the older one has a lot of, um.., "character". The owners really try to build a sense of community with their membership. It's nice. My next report will be from the older facility. I like visiting both.

My hits are getting better. I normally practice only once a week, perhaps a little more often when Mrs. BassCliff is out of town. ;) I'm sure you'll be progressing quickly with your practice schedule.

My little breakthrough lately has been getting over the vice-like death grip with my strong hand. I've realized there's no way I can perform a trigger press, straight back, when I have a Hulk grip on the gun. I've been a little looser with my strong hand, a little tighter with my weak hand, less worried about the recoil (it's not going to jump out of my hand), and trying my best to mentally focus on that front sight until after the shot. As you can see, I'm probably 75%-80% there. For me, everything is a process. I'm glad you enjoy my reports. It proves people can learn even from a bad example. :ROFLMAO:

BassCliff

Hey Simon,

A visit to The Fletcher Arms has now become the bucket list item I didn’t know I needed. Me and @KillerFord1977 are going to ride into town one day because we won’t be able to rest until we’ve brought you a “can’t miss” gun to shoot with.
View attachment 52148

It would be great to have you guys blow into town. Don't forget, I have a few more friends (IRL) in the DFW area that I plan to visit sometime. When that happens I'll let you know.

Just so you know, there's no beginning to my talent! I can miss with any gun.
ABLVV84K6Z0scQDrz3CeCPfI-K2lsjWSBGCQYqcVDyUuNR-_uT-tgviTTZId0IzyFEYzgAhGxS1sMtEfSJ_V2ArfekBc8_sWhCk7i_TgZK9GqcTQ2X_UGVTV8T_iit7zyJ2gqOThDT5BzaUykj2OGlEwJBhTAA=w39-h21-s-no

Fine shootin SIR...

Thanks wolf! I'm getting there. I'll keep working at it!
ABLVV85MyvosE2kPpVpkqllqK8oep6PvUwVkbmjMWlZppP7GPMXzGncu_Fprd-3zZBoe4hA-glt7JPaVlbUAJ-306KuqPKVJ0p8paNFQtXhpBIj4rzXJ6eDjRGpNNeOn7ora5a8vob6ISyzqe9U4vbWp3Car1g=w75-h75-s-no

BassCliff

Back