testtest

Range Report: USCCA DSF105, 10/29/23

BassCliff

Professional
Hi,

The DSF105 class is USCCA curriculum training. See: https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/firearms-training/curriculum/defensive-shooting-fundamentals/

I've taken this course several times at this range. It is always a little different and quite the overall workout. We did several warm-up drills, some off-hand shooting, cognitive scenarios with a bit of movement, run-and-gun, pivoting, multiple targets, etc. It's good to practice these skills periodically rather than just standing in a lane tossing lead at paper.

We went downrange beyond the booths for all of our exercises. It's not exactly like running around outdoors but it's a reasonable facsimile.

ADCreHfIdLfaKxO0a31CqzIGATTMBzhpSLEXEOgzGAMY6Ijq-VZzHRVnDLfpqQCCx5AzVALYkTBiA7FtIBOR0veEKGqdzCUnZm63-c1uMStQCHvscHjvgIq7nL49RQS_bPJdeuNiDoKAgqyiTadKWnt11quRMQ=w1648-h927-s-no

I shot just over 150 rounds of my Blazer 124 grain. I had one malfunction tonight, a double feed, but a quick tap-n-rack got me going again.

ADCreHdGKE3fBcyWxSa6Nul9RhZQ9wOHFJk0CgwkaKLRckmKW9Oh7WQgTyhvSdEo3xxhN_hoPUsXULUWr0Jptfyj8xGPaQcxG2dczFkGfN6sfQ9WS0jTwTQ1ZChudOqH0T6Atj_blpvVwsZsdu0loaNJyv0vDg=w1648-h927-s-no

We started with these "Speed and Precision" targets. Later on you'll notice those white lines on the floor at 5, 10, and 15 yards.
ADCreHeIZfJzYwGLyCBOLb66JyGrGxWLeXXUHF2z8rDm6H0SDxgDTBcQCF0EhD_kGMKfWkevi7naNlj5j-Bdlx8mTUMEme2OnVpc4QZ1zdXUlw-MwJamf3hLuG8Sb87NfqC-zuoU61wNsUZBpS4lHOdJK6Ovmw=w1648-h927-s-no

Our warm-up drills were at 5 yards. On command we would draw and fire the appropriate number of shots at the appropriate target; one, two, or three shots at center or one shot at a number. For some reason I had trouble with #2 and #5.

ADCreHcXPckWJaa-8hKy2iuqjkpo-iEBBFHWVnv5RiJYFe6-_RM_w9UPJGp1nAllqdUb7TtPh5tNOVcQV-_5PFw5oDobU0cX9-R4h2lBwk3j_NTUAeul-_8eW01EEFS7nXKSYYFAIf9JoYx6xf7dSmdHLcPveg=w1648-h927-s-no

A few more tries at the numbers did not improve my accuracy much.

ADCreHc0uDJxGqN1Y15ZVKEBGgpckR0mJDPZIIw5rXx1BSpvmyIdgeLsWmDIjyEpBE-5ecmFkJ72EXds85tRRxNiIay3yg5r78VQZ4GzQKs-tE8dGC5tgLJjy9Gk7sUdLaTfNqsHYIiLEn_NSAk3f5oxxEUt2w=w1648-h927-s-no

Then we got fresh targets for the speed part of our exercises. We shot #4 at a slow pace, one second between shots (bang-1000-bang-1000-etc). #5 was a little quicker (bang-and-bang-and-etc). #6 was getting pretty quick (bang-bang-bang-etc). #3 was a fast as we could shoot (bangbangbangetc).

ADCreHeUtdv0y9FQNKz5Kj4OG4KJYtrvB0TiYWbBd7QefYpyN3Yr0maS-fcHG4hCpiDOW7yo_vx1ZjzOqN5ulJ5NVo8-LqgDeV7uCpxWIaDO07S4ErFxM38qQ7PTlX7lNz7VOd_wu_w8wEwfjGSEdegzD29lGw=w1648-h927-s-no

I actually did pretty good for this exercise. #3 was at my fastest pace and was more spread out. Also, this was the first time I've trained without using my corrective lenses. My sights were a fuzzy mess but I could see them well enough for defensive purposes.

ADCreHcg5A2eh44IPdguXVyRLoxop_WSd2gL2R9UQIyGtpWnXnd3VxliqnjMKK_zY9Gv_ER4zamOik4HLPa3JhBhJuB3pRg6m1uwpYePLF81kZi0ppeONOZOPBciM78k4VDpCZMvKDzUgXdMz-0syG8VxiVG-Q=w687-h927-s-no

Then our instructors set up fresh targets plus barrels for our next exercise. We would be walking around the barrels at the 7 yard line.

ADCreHdOd3HpUaKPwpjM-bNZqbqcbIhfmOjDqA_nmR3DBeD-IzJsZn9knh_hWUdU0IRuvEcjLfddxSwgWZJukqfmyGKk4_5TiTbjD1jTAZA3-okYENzhVUE_CJyv81hOIZNxOWE5CvL1Ltn4n8D6HGD8Gdr0Bg=w1648-h927-s-no

One of the Dads brought his two sons, 11 and 14, to take the course. The young lads did great. One side of these targets had shapes, colors, and numbers on them. The instructors would call out a combination which would determine which target or targets to identify and shoot.

ADCreHdRPwdckeJT3OTXufAG5HdiReG65DlEBLYpvX2CAjhqcIcqenXun7WHESUplEOMjCm9KYOEpJft51RWcoC7VIILdxh-8lA9fnLL6cm2zpGAbbk1QvxeCmPVpuPtty_xHojhssGu2jZlZ_vgFecxHXC3pg=w1648-h927-s-no

When the targets flipped you had to put the appropriate number of shots on the proper target, either center mass or head, before the targets flipped back.

ADCreHeB3RUnTps0TY3_aXrxxUaB7gLXM_fiNLIwiAil4OS7FBIgF6OZt0PjphFu9c6UoSGRk6nHGmZWiZhedCaklrV7rciqI9gNcKTWWX1beFPdHxbpB6u0CV34nWv2vhVSUxfKLS3r4NOeo8B1OfmQUvEiPg=w1648-h927-s-no

This exercise really made you think about your target. Depending on the combination and order of shape/color/number called you might have one, two, or three targets to shoot either center mass or head, or you might not have any target at all. You gotta think before you shoot, make sure you have identified the threat and your target, while on the move.

After a few pivoting drills from the 5 and 10 yard lines we did some run-n-gun. With the class in a line, we ran back and forth to the distance called by the instructor and fired at our target on command, making sure we were properly aligned before drawing. Mine is the middle target here.

ADCreHciZ3vEKQ0wLmwFvrEDoPKoVCUX0fJOX4OFS0vOiv-X7rRDyD0QHRCphF12aRyhfLtXDhXp3Yv0VkW2ynYecr_k6vltXSQc8g2wB8WIG1_GX6dy38C0CgMQ6h609j7BSyxdRAcOPA7LL8TJkwBF_BzZcw=w1648-h927-s-no

Let's take a closer look. I did pretty good but I wonder where that shot would've ended up when I missed over the target's left shoulder. Stray bullets are not good in the real world.

ADCreHdX-gEzJDrNqNkHhMw_t9c6i-0kzULDVhtPQRHFO8L1SJGYsnXVIHs2NJrxW2HH0H_WDVrGDi7R-vS_gHrlJUTHFXoNOJy5TnVXfEEVgNXNS2aI0x5hDqIO73FRnCThLT1d7DmXx1afloRCWIaa_ip6Dw=w650-h927-s-no

I felt bad for the guy in the lane to my left. At one point we were running downrange and got an "UP!" command. That means stop, check alignment left and right, and shoot. His Glock came out of his holster, hit the concrete floor, and skidded all the way to the backstop. Of course ALL the instructors yelled, "Stop! Cease Fire!" The class came to a screeching halt, everyone re-holstered, the gun was retrieved, retention was adjusted, then the class resumed. I felt embarrassed for the guy. I don't know if his gear was new or just hadn't been checked in a while. We were all relieved that his Glock was indeed drop-safe.

During our debrief after class we all received a copy of this handy little book. I guess I'll give it a read.

ADCreHcQFJZXFBP8qXuG4BFvVi_s0nkxuZDgh0QGQZoxJ8zoYPzhhok4QyBUY752_42BaqpfBZ68hPA-SnkIYIfj3hs6MqRttf9t9Xnio-ieVZ_u7tKl9j8P0ItdDKajIVJ4klJVuw_wE9UimjBaf2IYHxFPzQ=w1648-h927-s-no

My next training session here at the range might be a shotgun class. I've done a little training with a shotgun but I'll take their basic course before I move on to their defensive courses. I haven't shot my Mav88 yet and I'm looking forward to it. I'll let you know how it goes. ;) Thanks for hanging out with me.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Hi,

I'm to far away for any of these type of range times. I've created a constructive way to teach my kids and be safe for all. I'm no finished with it yet. What it entails are different colors, sizes, heights and depths of targets to make it 3-dimentional.

Do you have enough room on your property for your own outdoor range? Can you share the target scenarios you are building? I'm curious. You've seen my "laser range" in the basement.

1698861866650.png

1698861908459.png

BassCliff

Hi,

Wish they had something like that here! We don't have any indoor ranges here. The one run by the county here is really just some cleared land with a berm and targets set up

I used to train outdoors all the time. An indoor range was a "treat". Unfortunately there is not an outdoor range here with the same setup that is convenient enough or affordable. So I make do. ;)

BassCliff

Hi guys,

Really nice range and awesome shootin. and i bet fun was had by all there.

Thanks. It was fun and informative. Even though I've taken this course several times I'm always learning something new and brushing up on skills that have gotten a little rusty.

Nice job 👍
Gun day is fun day, especially when its course time

Indeed! I really enjoy these instruction sessions. It always points out my weaknesses and gives me something for dry fire practice.

Wish I could go to one. Not a range or even class within 100 miles

Dang! 🙀 Is the area you're located not 2A friendly? Even when I lived in CA there were a half dozen ranges less than an hour from me, bright red dots in a blue state. ;)

Thanks for the thread, Cliff. Good shooting and good training!

Hey, you're welcome. I like sharing my fun. I appreciate all you guys stopping by and offering your thoughts and encouragement.

BassCliff

Dang! 🙀 Is the area you're located not 2A friendly? Even when I lived in CA there were a half dozen ranges less than an hour from me, bright red dots in a blue state. ;)
Oh no I didn't mean that. There are a few ranges near me but I meant something like this with USCCA. I'm a member but nothing from USCCA near me is what I meant.

Iowa just recently protected the 2A in the constitution, passed constitutional carry, went from "may issue" to "shall issue" before that etc. Where I live, unfortunately, is pretty purple because a lot of folks from IL moved to my area just across the river

Hi,

Oh no I didn't mean that. There are a few ranges near me but I meant something like this with USCCA. I'm a member but nothing from USCCA near me is what I meant.

Iowa just recently protected the 2A in the constitution, passed constitutional carry, went from "may issue" to "shall issue" before that etc. Where I live, unfortunately, is pretty purple because a lot of folks from IL moved to my area just across the river

OK, I apologize for my confusion. Remember, I'm just the bass player. :ROFLMAO:

At my old outdoor range in CA we had a pretty sweet deal. Twice a month, classes were taught by a salty old former Marine/retired LEO. He limited his class to 10 students, first come, first served, but rarely was anyone turned away, even if one or two extra showed up that day. The range was unaffiliated but the instructor was NRA certified. We used to run all kinds of crazy run-n-gun exercises, active shooter scenarios, vehicle procedures, etc, all for the insane price of $45 per four hour session. I hated to leave that group. Some of the students had been training together for years.

I'm in a purple state but due to the high population of hunters there is rarely any action by the gun control advocates. I hope it stays that way and possibly turns a little more red in the next election. We'll see. I'll be out knocking on doors for the NRA.

BassCliff

Wish they had something like that here! We don't have any indoor ranges here. The one run by the county here is really just some cleared land with a berm and targets set up
Which is perfect if it is multiple berms, no rangemaster and private. Which is what I have and prefer. Even in the blistering Missouri cold winter I will be on my range, not in some indoor range.

Back