testtest

Reloading The .220 Swift

Talyn

SAINT
Founding Member
For Anni...

Few cartridges are capable of cracked the 4,000 f.p.s. barrier and none more notorious than the .220 Swift.

Reloading The .220 Swift

1614369320583.png

It's a difference between the 6.5cm and the 260rem . In an ar setup with gen3 pmags @ 2.830" you can get better velocities with the 22-250 with the heavier bullets or just go with the 243win?

It's a difference between the 6.5cm and the 260rem . In an ar setup with gen3 pmags @ 2.830" you can get better velocities with the 22-250 with the heavier bullets or just go with the 243win?

I'd go for a 22 or 6mm Creedmoor between all of them.

I haven't built a 22 CM since my 6mm CM shoots fine and the differences between the two isn't a big deal for me.

You can run heavier bullets better with a 6mm CM than in a .243 or .22/250.

With the latter you'd have to get a special "fast-twist" barrel. I think I posted an article on fast-twist .22/250 recently.

My .02

I was recently looking into a possible .220 Swift AR-10 build though I will most likely go a different direction.

.220 Swift can put a real beating on a barrels life.

I'd go for a 22 or 6mm Creedmoor between all of them.

I haven't built a 22 CM since my 6mm CM shoots fine and the differences between the two isn't a big deal for me.

You can run heavier bullets better with a 6mm CM than in a .243 or .22/250.

With the latter you'd have to get a special "fast-twist" barrel. I think I posted an article on fast-twist .22/250 recently.

My .02
I have an 8 twist for the 243win so I'm good up to 110-112gr for some mfgs.

In the 90's I read so much about the 22-250, I had to get one. I bought a Remington BDL 22-250, reloaded with Hodgdon H380, Winchester large rifle primers and Sierra 52 gr BTHP Match bullets. It would put hole in hole at 100 yards easily. I enjoyed the precision so much my wife got tired of me spending too much time at the range, so I sold it and regretted it.
A few years later I purchased another 22-250, Savage 110 SS single shot with a fluted barrel mounted with the same model Leupold lll 6.5-20 Target dot scope and it shoots just as good as the Remington with the same loads.
It's been in the safe for awhile but have been looking forward to getting back into shooting it again soon. It is a great round and found that running the bullet about .010" off the rifle lands/grooves gives the best accuracy in my bolt actions.
If you decide on a 22-250 you won't regret it, it's a great cartridge!

In the 90's I read so much about the 22-250, I had to get one. I bought a Remington BDL 22-250, reloaded with Hodgdon H380, Winchester large rifle primers and Sierra 52 gr BTHP Match bullets. It would put hole in hole at 100 yards easily. I enjoyed the precision so much my wife got tired of me spending too much time at the range, so I sold it and regretted it.
A few years later I purchased another 22-250, Savage 110 SS single shot with a fluted barrel mounted with the same model Leupold lll 6.5-20 Target dot scope and it shoots just as good as the Remington with the same loads.
It's been in the safe for awhile but have been looking forward to getting back into shooting it again soon. It is a great round and found that running the bullet about .010" off the rifle lands/grooves gives the best accuracy in my bolt actions.
If you decide on a 22-250 you won't regret it, it's a great cartridge!
There is a local man that shoots the same as you, but possible uses a different powder?

Last edited:
Back