testtest

Review: Rock Island 1911

Well, to be technical, Springfield’s 1911’s used to be made in Brazil, they are now made here but I can’t remember when they started to manufacture them here, been a few years I think.
Yes, I know that SA's frames used to be manufactured in Brazil. But that was long, long ago, and far, far away...

I just bought a Rock Isl about 2 weeks ago. Went with the Rock Standard FS ( .45 of course) model is 51431 or some such; came with both wood and hard rubber grips. It’s gonna be sort of my ‘truck gun’:)
Somehow, I almost think the lower end RIAs are better than their attempts at higher-end models.
I have the Spgfld Ronin too - but I’ve got FULL confidence in RIA. Best of the budget end 1911s IMHO.
I’ve got a set of unfinished smooth walnut grips I think I’ll just put Tung oil on and see how they look installed.
Quick ques: anyone have a tip on degreaser to use on the frame, slide & small parts ? Last time I prepped a new pistol i used mineral spirits in a pan, but still had to toothbrush it down. Do those sprays work any better? Brand ?

I just bought a Rock Isl about 2 weeks ago. Went with the Rock Standard FS ( .45 of course) model is 51431 or some such; came with both wood and hard rubber grips. It’s gonna be sort of my ‘truck gun’:)
Somehow, I almost think the lower end RIAs are better than their attempts at higher-end models.
I have the Spgfld Ronin too - but I’ve got FULL confidence in RIA. Best of the budget end 1911s IMHO.
I’ve got a set of unfinished smooth walnut grips I think I’ll just put Tung oil on and see how they look installed.
Quick ques: anyone have a tip on degreaser to use on the frame, slide & small parts ? Last time I prepped a new pistol i used mineral spirits in a pan, but still had to toothbrush it down. Do those sprays work any better? Brand ?
Napa engine degreaser/brake cleaner is my choice. The “non chlorinated” stuff smells like orange, and does a great job...and is plastic/polymer safe.

Napa engine degreaser/brake cleaner is my choice. The “non chlorinated” stuff smells like orange, and does a great job...and is plastic/polymer safe.
Thanks HansG...seems like I’ve heard of that before...
Of course, I could just ask “The Expert” a.k.a my Dad. He’ll be 81 on Nov 14th...
as soon as you bring up a topic like this (and BTW, please DON’T!) you get something back like “...wellll, down at Ft Jackson they taught us to use Hot Soapy Water”[yeah, Dad. Cures everything] “...hot rinse, dry what you can, lay it all out in the sun” blah blah blah, ramble ramble “...light coat’a oil and put ‘er back together...” [it’s called ‘reassembling’ Dad]...then comes “I remember that time we...” ( so much for my afternoon off).
Aaaaanyway....
There used to be a hand cleaner called Goop. Took grease right off my hands - any kind of grease or crud & almost no scrubbing . I wonder if that would work to get down in rails, the extractor well, etc. Then try the “hot rinse” idea and maybe blow water out with a can of compressed air or a hair dryer?? (then my Lucas oil immediately after it’s dry of course).

I'm glad I'm not the only one who has noticed this. RIA's GI models and other more basic models are as good or better than many competitors. Once you move into the territory of more custom guns, the RIA's lose their competitive edge. Rock Island is an excellent entry-level 1911, but if you've decided to get a decked-out 1911 it is better to go with one of the higher-end manufacturers.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who has noticed this. RIA's GI models and other more basic models are as good or better than many competitors. Once you move into the territory of more custom guns, the RIA's lose their competitive edge. Rock Island is an excellent entry-level 1911, but if you've decided to get a decked-out 1911 it is better to go with one of the higher-end manufacturers.

I got the one above basic and it had all the special features I like, and for a real reasonable price.

If I would have gotten the basic then added the features I got in the next one up it likely would have cost me at least $300 more. And all are perfectly functional w/o issues.

The RIA 51431 is the .45 acp version of my 51632. Just wish they made a .38 Super version in that configuration.

Note: RIA has Commander & 3.5" Compact versions also.

Last edited:
I hate not buying from my LGS, but when Rural King had 51431's on sale a couple years ago for $359 I grabbed one. With a little polishing and TLC it has been flawless.
MarkL: did yours come with the extra grips (1 set wood, 1 hard rubber)? Some places don’t seem to advertise that but it’s a nice touch.
I would like to do some polishing “fit n finish” to the innards of mine... if you have the time pls let me know what you did to yours...

I did a complete tear down, seemed like the innards were coated with pine tar or tree sap. Took me days to polish the innards, but I only used crocus cloth. Polished the feed ramp and slightly throated the barrel. Exactor was junk, replaced with an EB. Fitted the sear and hammer. Factory spring only scaled at 14 lb. Used a Wolff 16 lb main and 19 lb hammer spring. Gun is smooth as butter,(to me). Mine came with 2 pair of grips too. Take your time and enjoy!

Back