testtest

revolver shooters, and owners..?

ok, here is the "set up"

1) ANY revolver that i have, .38/357 magnum, or 45 Colt LC

2) ANY barrel size or capacity..(ie) 6 or 7 shot....2.5" or 6" barrels

3) ANY ammo brand that i shoot, new, reloaded, brass, aluminum casings.

4) ALL guns are as pristine clean as can be and the wheel and trigger and hammer are lubed as well, as the inside of the barrels get a wiping of oil.

ok, that's the set up, now the question(s):

Q: when i shoot, then eject the spent shell casings, why do some (not all) stay in the wheel's chambers?

i watched i don't know how many videos, where each and every shell casing ejects all at the same time, none get "hung up" in the chambers.

in the beginning, i DID wipe some lube into each chamber, but...after reading maybe 4 different articles in known gun magazines, it was recommended to NOT do that. i think the reasoning was it can gum up the chambers with the residue powders?

now too, i have seen each and every "revolver expert", SLAM the ejector rod with the palm of his hand, but that is for competition shooting, which i do not do, also too, i have a "feeling" that by "slamming" the ejection rod, one can "in time" bend that rod....

Q: any idea(s) as to why some...NOT all spent shell casings hang up in the wheel on ejection..??

thanks in advance
Also, you should not have any lube in the barrel when your shooting any gun, run a dry patch through bore before shooting it, lube in the barrel is a good way to bulge a barrel, this is for revolvers and pistols

I've been a revolver guy my whole life, but I'm not quite sure what your problem is. One gun or certain brands of ammo I can understand. But all guns and ammo doesn't make sense. Operator error?
Are you pointing the muzzle straight up? If not, sometimes the cases can wobble just a bit and slip past the ejector. Thus falling back into the chamber. Is the cylinder completely open or are cases hanging on the edge of the frame?
I eject with my thumb. Only rarely do I need to smack the ejector rod with my hand. That's usually for magnums.
Are you doing it like this?

Exactly how I do to my revolvers ☝️☝️, while this is a good video, I think it’s over kill, all the revolvers I have shot in my 40+ years, I never had to hit the rod like that to empty it. @Old_Me I don’t think you doing anything wrong, maybe use a little more force, but personally, I wouldn’t be slamming the rod like that, just me

Last edited:
Also, you should not have any lube in the barrel when your shooting any gun, run a dry patch through bore before shooting it, lube in the barrel is a good way to bulge a barrel, this is for revolvers and pistols
when i clean any gun, i do "swab" all barrels with oil, cuz all my guns are kept in my basement, inside storage cabinets. i do have a dehumidifier, but i cannot guarantee everything will be safe from high humid days.

i rarely if ever wipe them "dry" when i go to the range, as it is such a light coating of oil.

Exactly how I do to my revolvers ☝️☝️, while this is a good video, I think it’s over kill, all the revolvers I have shot in my 40+ years, I never had to hit the rod like that to empty it. @Old_Me I don’t think you doing anything wrong, maybe use a little more force, but personally, I wouldn’t be slamming the rod like that, just me
yeah, i think Mas was demonstrating combative type reloading, no, i won't slam it exactly like him, but i will at least "ride" that barrel down to the ejector, to guarantee a better ejection.

when i clean any gun, i do "swab" all barrels with oil, cuz all my guns are kept in my basement, inside storage cabinets. i do have a dehumidifier, but i cannot guarantee everything will be safe from high humid days.

i rarely if ever wipe them "dry" when i go to the range, as it is such a light coating of oil.
Yea, I'm not referring to when you store or clean them, I mean before you shoot them, run a dry patch down the barrel and cylinder, you never want to shoot a gun that has oil in the bore, could bulge the barrel

I've been a revolver guy my whole life, but I'm not quite sure what your problem is. One gun or certain brands of ammo I can understand. But all guns and ammo doesn't make sense. Operator error?
Are you pointing the muzzle straight up? If not, sometimes the cases can wobble just a bit and slip past the ejector. Thus falling back into the chamber. Is the cylinder completely open or are cases hanging on the edge of the frame?
I eject with my thumb. Only rarely do I need to smack the ejector rod with my hand. That's usually for magnums.
Are you doing it like this?

correction and update..

i took my Python to the range earlier today...i actually caught myself not exactly holding the gun this way (in the picture), i saw where i was holding it at a slight angle. i honestly thought i was holding the muzzle end straight up.

when i held it up straighter? all the shell casings fell out.....and that certainly made sense.

so i tried my way again, and nope, they would not fall out easily.

so it was "operator error" as a few of you pointed out, and i appreciate you doing that.

and i did not have to smack the ejector rod, only my thumb..

so the next time any of my revolvers get to the range (which can be a few months from now), if i do it "my way again".....

i'll know right then and there, it IS operator error.....

thanks guys..!!!!

Back