testtest

Rotating Your Carry Ammunition

For a while I used to shoot any ammunition in my house that was 6 months old or older. Now I wish I wasn’t so wasteful with that ammunition. Now I have one full box that is two years old.
77D2728A-D3BD-41D8-8588-44020C13DC9C.gif

Yup-remove ammo from magazine and rotate top rounds to the bottom-

I used to do this. Then I thought about it and realized I was just putting extra wear on the mag springs. And if you rotate the one in the chamber down into the magazine, every time you rack another round into the mag you could be setting the bullet back further into the casing. Probably not a big deal usually, but there seems to be an issue with .40. And I definitely noticed some set back not only with some of my .40s, but also with some .45s.

I used to do this. Then I thought about it and realized I was just putting extra wear on the mag springs. And if you rotate the one in the chamber down into the magazine, every time you rack another round into the mag you could be setting the bullet back further into the casing. Probably not a big deal usually, but there seems to be an issue with .40. And I definitely noticed some set back not only with some of my .40s, but also with some .45s.
It was a joke-I really don't do that-I do not repeat do not waste ammo by shooting good ammo that will still work 50 years from now-rotating ammo like this does nothing but make the manufacturer more money and you a lot poorer-
Also to note my magazines have the same ammo in them for months and I do not unload at night-

I never really thought much about rotating the ammo...hmm.

What I’ve always done is rotate mags on my bedside unit: For my simple S&W SD9, I have a full mag in it, then have a mag minus a few rounds there beside it, and one empty mag in the drawer. About every 30-40 days (basically once a mo.) I empty the mag in the pistol and the backup mag, randomly fill the mag from the drawer, and use the previously full mag as the backup. Got ea mag numbered 1-3 on the baseplate.
When I want a change of pace at the range from .45 fun, I take that pistol and fire what’s in it (plus some, before ammo shortage).

Point is, I was always more worried about rotating mags than ammo.
Might have to re-think that...???

It was a joke-I really don't do that-I do not repeat do not waste ammo by shooting good ammo that will still work 50 years from now-rotating ammo like this does nothing but make the manufacturer more money and you a lot poorer-
Also to note my magazines have the same ammo in them for months and I do not unload at night-

I rotate ammo by shooting my carry mags then refilling them with fresh ammo. Usually once a year.

Thanks, good video!

Keeping in mind "ammo rotation" doesn't necessarily mean brand spanking new ammo, also inspecting and juggling it around helps.

Rotating ammo makes a lots of sense like rotating tires on vehicles does. Almost anything just sitting idly around can still cause damage somewhere. Reasoning can give reinforcement to old saying "if you don't use it, you lose it" too! :) :cool:

There are many benefits and reasons for ammo rotation. The best is It gives us a good visual 1st hand chance to check out, inspect ammo, mag or cylinder and chamber for proper usage before and when time comes to use gun as intended. It just makes good sense.

There are many other important benefits of ammo rotation besides just fresh ammo. Ammo rotation with mags can increase mag and spring life by relieving spring pressure and checking for damage, debris and possible deformation of any part of the magazine assembly and ammo. On chambers and revolver cylinders, ammo rotation gives us a chance to see if gun functions works smoothly and properly. - Can make them all last longer too! We may be surprised where all those darned linty fuzzy farm animals come from too? :) Just said hi to some, names were Fred, Sam and Sally.

Another thing to look out for is possible *electrolysis reactions forming with *dissimilar metals. *Brass, steel for example are dissimilar metals, that can cause chemical reactions that in turn can cause corrosion when in contact with each other. Another reason to properly lube gun it can help, delay or eliminate electrolysis. Lube can act as an isolator. Mixing in possible body salts like body sweat/perspiration can speed up and increase electrolysis effects on metals. Salts on soft metals like brass, copper, aluminum and even on harder metals like steel can cause corrosion.

Frequent rotation also helps us know oils, grease haven't solidified or gummed up or in with older safe queen guns.

Concerning ammo rotation; Are plastics better, safer, more immune to effects than metals? Think plastic mags or parts are immune? Plastics can still have their concerns and issues. Plinking plastic pests with poly pistols? Yes, "polyester whatever's" are still plastics! :) Plastics are somewhat better or sometimes just a bit different than metals in some ways. Plastics of many sorts can still bend, collect debris, twist, deform, distort, oxidize, melt and even eventually corrode from UV rays and contact with other chemical compositions. Rotation with plastics and metals still have good benefits.

All in all, ammo rotation is a very good excuse and time to inspect ammo and gun for if and when we need it the most.

Last edited:
Back