testtest

SA-35 and 9x19 NATO

DCVJR

Alpha
Will a SA-35 tolerate a steady diet of 9x19 NATO?
Have a good amount of this ammo on hand and with current ammunition prices don`t want to buy more, lower pressure fodder if I don`t have to. I`ve found that the Winchester 9x19 NATO gives excellent accuracy in my SIG pistols.

Have a good amount of this ammo on hand and with current ammunition prices don`t want to buy more, lower pressure fodder if I don`t have to. I`ve found that the Winchester 9x19 NATO gives excellent accuracy in my SIG pistols.
i only shot ammo that was not +P or +P+, or NATO.

just "ordinary" 115 gr or 124 gr.

It'll tolerate it. Stuff will just wear out faster. I shoot NATO in all mine, but not steady. When it's what I can get a deal on I buy it.

If you're going to run a steady diet of 9mm NATO power-level ammo in any BHP-type pistol it would be prudent to change to the recoil spring to a heavier one.

BH Spring Solutions says..."The SA Hi Power relies on only two springs to control rearward slide velocity which also means the Recoil Spring in a SA semi-auto will usually need to be stronger than the recoil spring in a DA/SA semi-auto."

This assessment explains things and they recommend going with an 18-18.5 lb. recoil spring.

Slide Velocity Progressive Springs Updated 2021

In addition, here's S.A. Camps' assessment of the BHP's tolerance of ammo. And. the SA-35 should be considered a non-post 1993 Mk.III BHP since it's more of a "Classic" T/C-series BHP replica than the post 93 Mk. III made by Browning.

BTW, the post-93 Mk.III BHPs had stronger "cast" frames than the forged pre-93 BHPs. All indications are that the SA-35 frames are forged.

Last edited:
This may help
Browning Hi-Power Recoil Buffering Guide Rod | BHSpringSolutions LLC

I run them in both mine
And those allow for 3 different spring weights to be installed inside the guide rod, with the regular 17 lb. recoil spring in place, which serve the same purpose as just changing the regular recoil springs.

Last edited:
If you're going to run a steady diet of 9mm NATO power-level ammo in any BHP-type pistol it would be prudent to change to the recoil spring to a heavier one.

BH Spring Solutions says..."The SA Hi Power relies on only two springs to control rearward slide velocity which also means the Recoil Spring in a SA semi-auto will usually need to be stronger than the recoil spring in a DA/SA semi-auto."

This assessment explains things and they recommend going with an 18-18.5 lb. recoil spring.

Slide Velocity Progressive Springs Updated 2021

In addition, here's S.A. Camps' assessment of the BHP's tolerance of ammo. And. the SA-35 should be considered a non-post 1993 Mk.III BHP since it's more of a "Classic" T/C-series BHP replica than the post 93 Mk. III made by Browning.

BTW, the post-93 Mk.III BHPs had stronger "cast" frames than the forged pre-93 BHPs. All indications are that the SA-35 frames are forged.
Agree, I was thinking of the same thing, heavier recoil spring

Back