testtest

SA Ronin .45 Optic Front Sights

Jekylmeister

Operator
Hi everyone! New to the forum, but looks like an appropriate place to hang out and learn.
I just picked up (after a wait) a SA Ronin 5" .45. I've had it to the range once and have a thought I'd like to ask about.
Has anyone replaced the front Optic 'insert' on one of these? I'm red/green blind and those 'fluorescent' dots do not present themselves well to my eye. I don't want to replace the sight 'housing' itself, just the plastic 'rod' that's in it that displays your Dot. I want to put a white one in there, rather than the yellow-ish one that it came with. It looks like you ought to be able to tap out the yellow one and insert another of your choosing, but I'm having a little trouble finding any for sale, or knowing what 'size' might be needed. I have some extras that I got from Ruger for my Mark IV Hunter, but they're obviously a different size, both in length and diameter, than the Ronin's. Does anyone have any experience doing this or know what's involved or where to buy one?
BTW, the new Ronin shot like a champ. No trouble whatsoever!
Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Hi everyone! New to the forum, but looks like an appropriate place to hang out and learn.
I just picked up (after a wait) a SA Ronin 5" .45. I've had it to the range once and have a thought I'd like to ask about.
Has anyone replaced the front Optic 'insert' on one of these? I'm red/green blind and those 'florescent' dots do not present themselves well to my eye. I don't want to replace the sight 'housing' itself, just the plastic 'rod' that's in it that displays your Dot. I want to put a white one in there, rather than the yellow-ish one that it came with. It looks like you ought to be able to tap out the yellow one and insert another of your choosing, but I'm having a little trouble finding any for sale, or knowing what 'size' might be needed. I have some extras that I got from Ruger for my Mark IV Hunter, but they're obviously a different size, both in length and diameter, than the Ronin's. Does anyone have any experience doing this or know what's involved or where to buy one?
BTW, the new Ronin shot like a champ. No trouble whatsoever!
Thanks in advance!
Welcome to the forum, I know years ago I used to use white out to paint my front sight due to them being total black, white out works, don't know if you could just paint the red fiber with the white out, not sure this will work, but it could be a temporary fix for you till you come across what your looking for, just a thought.

Welcome to the forum, I know years ago I used to use white out to paint my front sight due to them being total black, white out works, don't know if you could just paint the red fiber with the white out, not sure this will work, but it could be a temporary fix for you till you come across what your looking for, just a thought.
I certainly will until (or if) I can find another solution. Matter of fact, I did just that on the Ruger I mentioned, but on the rear sight, which were completely black. That worked fine. Thanks for the welcome and the suggestion!

0.060 sized, i had replaced one from red to green, for me, the green is way better. (i have the same gun)

how about Yellow..??? close to white......for you... maybe..????

in this kit, they also have orange....

check on line on how to replace, very easy, i used a pencil type soldering iron, safer than a cigarette lighter...

You shouldn't need to tap out the oem fiber optic rod. Carefully cut or break the rod in the middle and push out both ends. I believe the rod size is .060/1.5mm, at least that's what mine was on my 4.25" Ronin.

If you do an internet search using "replacement fiber optic rod for gun sights" you should find multiple sources, including Amazon and Ebay. Vendors offer many different sizes and colors of fiber optic rod. Most come in inch length rods, some come with multiple colors included in a package. Red and green are most common but I've seen some vendors offer blue, yellow, orange and amber. I don't think white will be easy to find from firearms sources like Midway, Brownell's, etc

When you install the rod, use a butane lighter held adjacent to the rod end, to gently melt one end of the rod into a clear and rounded bulb. Don't get the flame to close to the rod or it will blacken. Don't use a match which can leave soot on the bulb. Cut the rod about 1/8" longer than the overall length when in the sight channel. Slide the rod into the sight from the back of the sight which will make heating the other end of the rod easier. Trim the rod down to about 1/16" protruding and repeat the heating process to the front of the sight. Novak's site has similar instructions. They carry common red or green replacement rod.

0.060 sized, i had replaced one from red to green, for me, the green is way better. (i have the same gun)

how about Yellow..??? close to white......for you... maybe..????

in this kit, they also have orange....

check on line on how to replace, very easy, i used a pencil type soldering iron, safer than a cigarette lighter...

Thanks, man. I appreciate it very much. Bright yellow might work. As you know the rear sight has white dots on it. Seemed like white was appropriate, but bright yellow is worth a try!

Follow up. Received the new fiber optic, installed it and I like it! Very visible (for me).

frontsight2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Back