testtest

Should I clean my gun before I go to the range?

I have always taken a new or used firearm home , taken it apart , cleaned , and re-lubed before ever firing it.

When I bought my XDs .45 a few years ago , I continued my routine by taking the new pistol apart to clean and re-lube. What I found amazed me. The channel for the firing pin spring assembly was packed with grease. It took awhile to get it all cleaned out but I was very happy that I had developed my routine .

I have always done this for pistols , revolvers , shotguns and rifles. No matter the type of action or cal.

H&K’s seem to have more travel slime on them than any other gun I’ve ever come across and that stuff just doesn’t want to come off sometimes!! My VP9 was CAKED with it and my P30SKS lost a fight with the grease guy.

That being said I almost always hit the range immediately after picking anything up. If it works well then that’s great and it’ll work better once I clean the gunk out of it. Then I’ll go back to the range within a week or so to see how it does after full almost a full strip down cleaning. The only thing that didn’t work well on its maiden voyage to the range was my Garrison which is just a 1911 doing 1911 things.

H&K’s seem to have more travel slime on them than any other gun I’ve ever come across and that stuff just doesn’t want to come off sometimes!! My VP9 was CAKED with it and my P30SKS lost a fight with the grease guy.

That being said I almost always hit the range immediately after picking anything up. If it works well then that’s great and it’ll work better once I clean the gunk out of it. Then I’ll go back to the range within a week or so to see how it does after full almost a full strip down cleaning. The only thing that didn’t work well on its maiden voyage to the range was my Garrison which is just a 1911 doing 1911 things.
It seems that within the HK community it’s accepted that your new HK is going to look like an elephant sneezed on it

It seems that within the HK community it’s accepted that your new HK is going to look like an elephant sneezed on it
Not mine, no way! No reason anything should be greased and oiled up so much that it looks like Burt Reynolds covered in Vaseline in the movie Striptease. Everything I have has the slide channels greased and everything else that needs it has a thin coat of oil on it for protection. My VP9 had literal boogers of grease in the slide from the factory and it sprayed me in the face through the first mag and I looked like a Rorschach ink blot test by the time I left. I actually cleaned and lubed the gun before I washed my face when I got home.

Back